Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

eatcakevintage Eat Cake! bears and vintage
Ormond Beach, FL

prodye3.jpgprodye2.jpgprodye1.jpgI experimented with a couple of my new procion dyes. I used the cold method and thickened the dye with corn startch slurry (I couldn't wait to get sodium alginate or guar gum). It actually turned out okay with the color robin's egg blue. But pale aqua was a no go. No coloring remained after rinsing. I then thought I would just heat this one up and color a piece of mohair and the hair was damaged. It was actually a very good aging technique!
I also used a soaking method cold and both the fur and backing were dyed.
Here's the photos of the robin's egg blue where I painted the backing. This is a bear I am currently working on, I love the color with the the cream colored fur.

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

dying-mohair-031-400x300.jpgdying-mohair-032-400x300.jpgI did have some of this dye at home I used to tie dye  I never thought to use it on mohair.  Yesterday I got out aquamarine.  The piece on the left is 1/2 tsp to 1 cup cold water for 1/2 hour.  Dyed only the back a beautiful shade of color, barely touched the mohair, I really like it.  The second piece I added a splash of vinegar to the mix and left it sit for another 1/2 hour, so 1 hour total.  Dyed the fabric and the mohair, no problem with it rinsing out.  I think I will order more, really like it.

The second picture the colors are reversed, vinegar 1st, water only second.

Board footer