Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

Acipenser Bine-Teddies
Stockholm

Hi US friends,
I keep hearing about eggnogg and on American tv series and movies people drink that at Christmas. Exactly what is in it please? Do you make it yourself or do you buy it?
It seems, Americans are having great parties at Xmas, while over here it is a more serious thing. We eat and drink, but we don't have parties, certainly not at work.

Hugs

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

Hi Sabine!  We do a slightly cooked egg nog, because the kids like it (without the alcohol of course!) and I don't want to risk any chance of salmonella or other bacteria from uncooked eggs in their tiny tummies..... i do apologize, i don't have a recipe using European measurement, so I hope it's not completely incompresensible to you.!   bear_grin

Combine 1 cup milk and 1 cup heavy cream in a bowl and set aside.

Wisk 12 large egg yolks (YOLKS ONLY!) and 1 and 1/3 cups of sugar along with 1 teaspoon of fresh ground nutmeg, just until blended.  Wisk in 2 cups milk & 2 cups heavy cream.  Put the mixture into a large pot over low heat.  Stir it constantly until the mixture thickens slightly and has the consistency of heavy cream (this will happen at about 175 degrees F).  You have to be really careful not to over heat, and you really do have to stir constantly!  At this point, you take it off the burner and and stir in the reserved milk and cream mixture. Pour the whole thing through a strainer to filter out any bits of eggs that may have cooked too much.  leave the mix in the fridge uncovered until it is cold, then stir in 1 and 1/2 cups of brandy (you can also use Cognac, dark rum, or bourbon) .  then back into the fridge for at leat 3 hours.  When you serve it you can sprinkle a bit more nutmeg on the top. 
It's sort of a like a very thin, drinkable vanilla custard, or like melted vanilla ice cream spiked with brandy!

Beary truly yours,
Kim Basta

Jo-Ann G Budd Bears Boutique
BC, Canada

Hi Sabine:

We buy our non-alcoholic Eggnog at the grocery store and it comes in the same packaging as milk.  Eggnog is richer and creamier than milk.  My son can drink it by the litre, he just loves it.  We were over at our brother's and he serves it with coke and rum which makes quite a nice drink.

I know there are quite a few recipes for Eggnog on the internet but I have never tried one.

Merry Christmas,

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

We have that here in the US too!  In a carton just like milk!  My son also downs that stuff! 

Beary truly yours,
Kim Basta
Wild Thyme Originals

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Hi Sabine,
     I live in Canada, but eggnog is something we can buy in the carton, like milk.  I'm sure it's the same in the U.S.  My mum used to make if for us if we were sick, when we were kids, to get something with "value" into us, as she used to say.  I've "googled" a couple of recipes for you - one with alcohol and one without alcohol.  The recipes are for large amounts, but you could adjust the quanities for a smaller amount, to see if you like it first. 

NON-ALCOHOL EGGNOG

Good old-fashioned eggnog flavored with vanilla and rum extract. Be sure to make extra! This recipe contains raw eggs. We recommend that pregnant women, young children, the elderly and the infirm do not consume raw eggs. 
Original recipe yield: 3 quarts.
Prep Time:15 MinutesReady In:4 Hours 20 MinutesServings:24 (change)

INGREDIENTS:
8 eggs
3/4 cup white sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon rum flavored extract
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
2 quarts milk
1 1/2 cups heavy cream
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg

DIRECTIONS:
In a large mixing bowl, beat eggs at high speed of mixer until thick and foamy. Gradually beat in sugar and salt, then rum and vanilla extracts. Slowly mix in the milk. Cover and chill in refrigerator until ready to serve.
Just before serving, whip whipping cream until soft peaks form. Fold into eggnog. Pour into punch bowl and garnish with nutmeg. 

ALCOHOL EGGNOG

It is relatively easy to toss a few quarts of eggnog and a bottle of rum into a punch bowl, but take the time to make some eggnog from scratch and you will be amazed how great real eggnog can be.

Original recipe yield: 12 servings.
Prep Time:20 MinutesReady In:4 Hours 20 MinutesServings:12 (change)

INGREDIENTS:
12 jumbo egg yolks
1 pound granulated sugar
1 quart whole milk
1 quart heavy cream, lightly whipped
1 liter spiced rum
1 teaspoon vanilla extract

DIRECTIONS:
Beat yolks in a large mixing bowl. Gradually add sugar. Beat until mixture thickens. Stir in milk and rum. Pour into a large punch bowl and chill for 3-4 hours.
Fold in whip cream before serving. Garnish with freshly ground nutmeg.

Hope this helps and you get to try some eggnog this year!  Merry Christmas to you and everyone on Teddy Talk!

Hugs,

Brenda

Deb Upstate New York

Mmmm ... recipe sounds good Kim.  Right now though, as I finish up some wrapping and start on a couple of cooking items for Christmas, I'm polishing off a bottle of Mr. Boston Eggnog.  It comes in a bottle vs. a carton, and is sold at the discount liquor store vs. the grocery store, and has just the right amount of whiskey.

Yum ...

Helena Bears-a-Bruin!
Macclesfield, UK

Ooooh, yum yum! They all sound delicious. I have never made eggnog from scratch - instead, Warninks Advocaat is an institution in our family, and I associate it with Christmas. As children we'd drink it mixed with lemonade (called a 'snowball' - and yes, we drank the alcoholic version but only a teeny amount! Just enough to make us feel grown up, and only at Christmas. I still like it like this bear_grin ).

Here's a link: http://www.webtender.com/db/ingred/111

Estelle Estelles canal bears and Tod Teddies
Todmorden West Yorkshire

I buy Warninks advocaat from  it is imported from holland is this the same as your eggnog
it is very strong brandy eggyolks vanilla and sugar

Helena Bears-a-Bruin!
Macclesfield, UK

I've just been surfing Estelle, and found out that advocaat is the same as eggnog but without the milk. It can be mixed with milk to make a thinner consistency. You learn something new everyday! (I didn't know that!).

Cheers!

Acipenser Bine-Teddies
Stockholm

Thank you everybody! I could have googled it of course, do that all the time otherwise......
I didn't know you could make non-alcoholic eggnog nor that there are raw versus cooked versions.
Helena, Advokaat sounds like egg liqueur. I have that, just didn't know if it was the same as eggnog. We usually drink that in small glasses and it is thicker than what I see people drink on tv (thicker than Baileys Irish Cream).
Kim, I am also concerned about salmonella, although Swedish chicken are free from it, but there are other worse bacteria. Large amounts of sugar can kill bacteria, but I don't know if your recipe has enough sugar. In fresh egges, the white contains some substance which inhibits salmonella, which is why you can store eggs at room temperature for two weeks.
I think I will try making a small amount for my New Year's party. Got too much to prepare for Xistmas all ready  bear_grin

Ahh, while I was typing there were more messages. Now I know, I can just mix Advokaat with milk or cream. I'll do that then.

Happy eggnoging everybody  bear_tongue  bear_wacko

Board footer