Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

Fallenrose near Cologne

4.jpg3.jpg2.jpg1.jpgHey there^^
I'm not sure if I'm allowed to post this here, but I've already seen some dolls here, so I think it's okay. If not, please tell me^^

This year, I decided to make a doll of Frida Kahlo for my mother as Mother's day gift. In case you don't know her: She was a famous mexican painter   

My mother was very thrilled when she saw her and I'm happy to have made her happy   
Frida was a lot of work, I had to tie more than 100 strands of wool to her head to create her hair and had very much trouble with her hairstyle. Frida normally hat her hair in a french crown (I think it's called like that), with lots of flowers in it, as you can see here: http://www.mexico-info.de/Frida_kahlo_foto.jpg

I tried to braid her hair, but.. it didn't look good, so I decided to let it open appart from two strands I braided on the left and the right side of her face.
First of all I stitched her facial features and painted her lips on. I wanted to do this with her "unibrow" (she painted herself with one, but in fact her brows weren't that wild) too, but my black acrylics were lost, so I abandoned this idea.

Then of course the dress. I wanted a mexican look, but had no floral printed fabric here. Instead, I chose this lovely red fabric and am really pleased how it turned out.  At first, I had the idea to paint the mexican bird onto the dress, but as I'm not that good at painting (and had no brush that was little enough), I stitched it on.
What else to say?...the shoes are painted on, even with handstitched shoelace... The flowers are made out of felt^^

Urg, I wrote too much again... A big hug for everybody who read everything I wrote lol

See you, Ariane

PS: ATM, I'm trying to take proper pictures of some of my other teddy bears, but well.. My skills at taking pictures aren't that good

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

Wow -- that was a LOT of work, Ariane!

I especially like Frida's blouse, and I think she would have, too.  bear_happy

Becky

Fallenrose near Cologne

Thanks for your nice words.
Indeed, it was a lot of work - especially as I had only one week left before mother's day; I worked on Frida until 3 o'clock in the morning on sunday... lol

Ariane

Good Juju Bears and Dolls Good Juju Bears and Dolls
From Spain and live in Germany

She' great !!! bear_thumb  And a nice idea form Mothers day bear_thumb

Fallenrose near Cologne

Thank you very much for your nice words - although she looks much better in person, my photographing skills aren't good enough  :redface:

:hug: Ariane

Board footer