Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

Wisdom Bears Wisdom Bears
Ayrshire, Scotland.

latest-005.jpglatest-004.jpgWell girls ,for those of you who were curious as to what Clootie Dumpling was ,here is the first pictures. They don't last long in our house ,and they are around 13-14"across.  The smell of it cooking is to die for, this one was cooking away for 3 hours.  Hugs Ritaxxx

ps. Sorry I cannot let you taste it.

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

bear_tongue  When I read the title, I though that was the name of a new teddy bear!  bear_grin

Mmmmm....good thing for my diet I CAN'T get to it, it looks YUMMY!!!!  ...drool, drool

jazzyrags Jazzy Rags
nsw

Rita can you post me on i and smell it from here looks so good yumMMMMMMMMMMMM

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Hi Rita,
     My parents were British and mum used to make a Suet Pudding or Treakle Pudding.  It was a steamed pudding and I'm drooling just thinking about it.  If they put raisins or dates in it, they called it a "spotted dog".  Boy, you are dredging up major memories from my past.  Since my mum died, no one in the family knows how to make them!

Hugs,

Brenda

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania
DebbieD wrote:

bear_tongue  When I read the title, I though that was the name of a new teddy bear!  :lol:

LOL... you made me laugh at this Debbie... I thought it was too!!! LOL  Is it a kind of rasin bread or something or like a fruit cake?

Ayrshire, Scotland.

Hi girls , Its cooked in a big cloth, and its full of goodies ,Raisins,Sultanas apples carrots and lots of Spices,treacle and syrup too. Its my husband that makes them ,mostly for Birthdays and Christmas ,New Year and so on. They are very rich ,but delicious.   Hugs Rita xxx

ps. A Cloot is a very Scottish word meaning Cloth.

Carolyn Green Draffin Bears
Auckland New Zealand
Website

Looks delicous Rita and thanks for sharing your photos with us.
Have you been eating  haggis also?
Hope that you are having an enjoyable Festive Season.

Hugs
Carolyn

Ayrshire, Scotland.

Carolyn Its haggis next month. 25th January is Robert Burns ,our great national poets Birthday. It is celebrated with Haggis, Neeps ( Turnip ) and Champed Tatties (Potatoes ) There is usually a wee Dram ( Whisky ) to wash it all down.  Warm Hugs Rita xxxx

Eileen Baird'sBears
Toronto

bear_laugh  Rita,

You reminded me of a billboard I saw in Glasgow years ago, advertising some brand of Single Malt Whiskey: "Great Wi' Haggis! Better Wi' Out!"

Eileen

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Wow Rita,

it looks huge, no wonder it takes 3 hours to cook, it looks kind of like a boiled bread?   the only American thing I can think of would would be like Boston canned brown bread?  But it sounds like it would taste so much more delicious.....

How is it cooked?  is it baked?  The ingredients are to die for:  I am going to have to go look up a recipie.....

dilu

It looks like something that would be so heart warming and comforting.....

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Hi,
    So it is a steamed pudding, wrapped in cloth?  I'll bet it's similar to the puddings I remember.  Mmmmmmm good!  As a child, I loved the plain one with treacle - it was my favourite.  See - now I'm going to have to google and see if I can find a recipe for it - I haven't thought about it for yeaaaarrrs!

Hugs,

Brenda

I Love Teddies South Florida
Website
Wisdom Bears wrote:

ps. Sorry I cannot let you taste it.

That's so mean!  bear_cry

It looks good.  I've never heard of it before.  I also thought it was the name of a bear when I read the title.

Ayrshire, Scotland.

Hi Dilu,
              It is indeed steamed in a cloth, and its much more moist than fruit bread. Most scots love it fried too.  Hugs Rita xxx

nettie scotland
Website

I haven't had one of these for years.Funnily enouh the very first bear I sold was called "Clootie Dumpling".I named all my bears after things to eat for the first five years.Then it got too hard!!!
Do you eat black bun at new year Rita???I love it and made a fabby black bear with this name once.
Better get all this stuff dow the hatch before mondays weigh in!!!!

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

Hi Rita !!    "Clootie Dumpling " looks so yummy !!  bear_wub 
Thanks for sharing photo.

Board footer