Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

lovenshire Love and Cuddle Nursery
Missouri
Website

Have you seen the Cafe Bears by R. John Wright?  Oh, I love them.  Question is...how does he get the arm and leg joints like that?  They look so natural! bear_thumb

rowarrior The Littlest Thistle
Glasgow

Not met any, but off to check them out...

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

I have seen them, they are in this months issue of TB&F.  I am not totally sure what you want to know.  It looks to me like he uses large joints, they fill the top of the limb nicely.  This doesn't leave as much room for a lot of stuffing.  You will get more of smooth transition from the body into the limbs.  Is this what you are seeing?  Of course the masterful designing that makes these bears is exceptional, that is probably most of it.

Joanne

rowarrior The Littlest Thistle
Glasgow

I think Joanne's onto something, and it's possibly also that the top of the leg is quite wide.  I think we tend to think that the legs should be the same width all the way up as most toy bears are, but if you think about it, they really get much wider where they join the butt.

Missouri
Website

Sounds reasonable Joanne...the arms and legs just flow so smoothly from the shoulder and hip...not a big bump like most bears have.  You are right about the masterful design...R. John Wright is a master designer.  I have seen some of his dolls and they are just great!

espresso.jpg

MadScientwist Posts: 65

I saw them in person They are amazing! But the arms are not completely stuffed like a typical bear...the ends are floppy...so they lay nicely...if I remember correctly the ends were filled with some beads and the top is stuffed with fiberfil...I hope that makes sense the way I explained it...

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website
MadScientwist wrote:

I hope that makes sense the way I explained it

That's interesting, and makes a lot of sense as I look at the photo. (Such a cute bear!)

Becky

Linda Benson Bears
Tasmania

Lenora, what a gorgeous bear that is! I've always l oved his work, he seems to be able to capture things so well, not just the physical but something of the spirit as well!  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub
It's interesting how the arms have been treated, any "mortal" would lose big points in competition if they did that!  bear_grin

Bakerina78 Posts: 326

Wow! I found his website. That's so cool! http://www.rjohnwright.com/index.html

Why would that lose points in competition? Are there rules about how you stuff the bear?

Missouri
Website

I love his work!  Wish I was rich so I could get the Cafe Bears...they are gorgeous!

amber Honey Valley Bears
Toronto

I think a lot of his creations are jointed with a ball and socket idea.  So the arm fits into the body and part of the body covers the joint.  If you look at his bunnies in production I believe it will show you the openings left in the bodies.  I haven't looked in a while but I think there is an example there.  How he makes them work I have no idea, but they are great.

TreacleBears Treacle Bears

have a look at this link - you might find this interesting!!!! I did..  bear_grin
http://www.rjohnwright.com/prodcafe.html

that was very cool! Thanks!

Bloomsburg, PA

Love this.  I wanna go work there!

Joanne

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

Cool! I really like the photo of all the bears lined up for inspection.  bear_original

Becky

JanetB Posts: 112

They are beautiful bears and I love the way the arms and legs seem to be a real part of the body, but they are massed produced and I far prefer the ones made by artists on this forum.  Still I wouldn't mind working there for a few weeks to pick up some tips!

Pat Klein Faux Paw Bears
Tallahassee, Florida

Does anyone know what the backing is on the fabric...this is alpaca...but the backing on the fabric allows for all the body parts to be 'molded'....we use needle sculpting...

It is probably heat and or pressure sensitive I am thinking? 

Pat

Bloomsburg, PA

Since the man in so well know for his molded felt dolls, I am gonna bet felt.

Joanne

Missouri
Website

OK, I would sure love to see one made from beginning to end...every little step!  How fun would that be?

K Pawz Guest

I love R J Wright's creations, and these two are no exception, they are gorgeous bears!

I own his three bears set and I have to say that I was sadly disapointed to find out that the heads are not stuffed with stuffing and then needle sculpted as most artist bears are, instead they seem to have a pre shaped styrofoam head or something that the fabric is fitted over and attached to...regardless though I love his bears and am very happy to have been able to snag this set of Three Bears when I saw them for a good deal on ebay.

As for Joints, my bears are the same style as this, they are jointed with large joints that fill the full area at the body to support completley. You are correct on how the legs are made with little stuffing in the ankle which enables them to get a nice flex and stand flat.

hugs,
krista

Board footer