Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

KJ Lyons KJ Lyons Design
Seattle, WA
Website

I have several collectors whom I dearly love, but here is the problem; they want me to create pieces exclusively for them. I've just finished a piece for one of these collectors. It was a tricky design and I think it turned out very well bear_thumb I sent the photos to the collector and now they want me to create another cat so that they can compare the two before they decide bear_noexpression . Thankfully, I have a long waiting list plus I need to set aside time each month for new designs. How do you explain this to a good customer without upsetting them? Would you bump other collectors on your waiting list for a certain collector? How far would you go with a new design that is exclusively for one collector? Do you even keep a waiting list or do you find it easier to just create what you want and present pieces as they are ready?
Thanks!
Karen
KJ Lyons Design

kezjoy KezjoyKritterz
Gippsland Victoria

bear_shocked wow..thats a bit cheeky of them. I would tell them that you could make them a second one, but your waiting list is "however many months long" and that for fairness to everyone waiting if they want you to make them a second one they will have to go to the end of the list again. That way its in their court. if they want to wait, fine..but i bet they will just take whats offered!

Kerrilyn

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

I'd say don't ask me to do commissions in future!  That's an impossible way to run a business - imagine if all your collectors wanted two pieces to choose from?!  bear_shocked 

Commissions can be such a challenge ... to be honest, my preference is not to accept them these days unless I am absolutely sure of my collector.  I am much happier making what I want to make and offering it for general sale on a first come, first served basis.  I think if collectors want to choose from a selection of work on offer, they would probably be best served by visiting a shop or a show, rather than imposing that condition on a sole trader trying to keep their turnover turning.

Us Bears Pennsylvania

To answer a question with a question:  How much is the person paying?

You will have to front the cost of the materials and labor, plus you will have to forestall other projects to fulfill the request.  All of that costs money.
If the person is paying for the privilege, there is no reason why you could not do it.  But, if he is paying the "regular" price, it would be foolish for any business person, Bearmaker or otherwise, to do it.

Further question:  Has he paid you anything yet?

If you don't have money in-hand, not only would it be cutting into your own profits but it would be putting you at a loss.  You will be making TWO Bears but only selling ONE.  Of course, you will be able to sell the second one but you will still have to put forward the expense before you can recover any money.  It might be weeks or months before the second Bear finds a home.

Unless the customer is going to pay for the privilege plus pay your expenses up front or, at minimum, give you a sizable, non-refundable deposit, you should not do it.

You do not owe them any explanation but, if they press you for an answer simply tell them what you have already told us:  You have others waiting.

All the Bears in this den say:  "Stick to your guns and don't take any fluff!"  bear_happy  bear_grin

DENBY30 DENBY BEARS
EDISON, NEW JERSEY

bear_wub I am no expertise artist, but if it were me, how can a collector ask you to make two items, knowing the cost involved?  Then what do you do with the one they do not want?  I know you could easily sell it, but how do they know that it will be sold.  That is certainly an odd request and I think totally unfair.  but to suggest what you should do, I could not really.  I feel they should take the commissioned piece as it is and be done with it. 
Sorry I can not be of more help, and I hope you can work it out.
Hugs pat

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

The stress of a waiting list is to much for me.  I do not do commission work.  I make and sell.  I know many people choose to go this route with commissions but I really strive to keep as much stress out of my life as possible.  More stress more heath issues.

I think you maybe need to be honest to this collector and nicely tell her about the others that are waiting in line, and tell them as much as you cherish their business you have to be fair to the others.  I truly believe when given the truth about how you feel most people understand.

Can you wait to see this kitty until you have another, if so wait, if not tell them to decide.

Just my two cents,

Joanne

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

I agree that the request is not reasonable

If the collector is unsure about the cat, you could tell her that there's no pressure for her to buy it. You'll offer it up for general sale, and she can go to the end of the waiting list or simply watch for a cat that she does like. (You'd return the deposit, I guess, if there was one.)

Becky

K Pawz Guest

Wow Karen that is a completley unreasonable request, even for a long time customer. I would tell her that unfortunatley if she wants to choose from another the wait list is long and she will have to wait in line, especially if the others in line have given deposits for their custom pieces.
I have actually closed the doors to my custom work once again due to many unreasonable requests that were really dampening my creativeness, I find doing custom after custom it doesn't allow me to create what I want and therefore get stuck in a rut.

Good luck with this and let us know how it turns out.

hugs,
Krista

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

I agree with Krista - the request is unreasonable, when in the end you know she will only buy one cat.  I would simply tell her as nicely as possible that you honoured her request for a special cat and that there is a long waiting list, and it would be unfair to your other customers to make a second cat for her.   I admire you for even trying to create something to someone's specifications -  I gave that up years ago.  It takes all the creativity out of me and I can't do a good job when I am not enjoying it. 

hugs,

Brenda

KJ Lyons KJ Lyons Design
Seattle, WA
Website

Thanks! Everybody. I did email the customer and explained as politely as I could the situation. THe collector did seem a bit upset with my answer. I think many people don't understand how much work goes into each creation. I don't accept Custom orders anymore, either. I do create certain breeds or styles of cats and kittens but only if it is something that I had been considering before the request. I have to say, some of my best work has come from suggestions from collectors.
Karen
P.S. The collector was a guy.

Us Bears Pennsylvania
KJ Lyons wrote:

THe collector did seem a bit upset with my answer. I think many people don't understand how much work goes into each creation.

I think that's a problem, in general, these days but it's especially problematic with plush creations.

We have a general trend toward instant gratification in our society.  I noticed this when I switched back to traditional photography from an entirely digital workflow.  I actually received scorn from people for DEVELOPING FILM! 
(Right up until the time I hand them an 11" x 14", selenium-toned photographic print.  Then they marvel at how great it looks!  bear_happy )

I think the same thing is occurring with you.  People want to type their credit card number into a website and have their "goods" delivered to their doorstep the next morning.  They don't care how it happens.  They just WANT it.

Now, on top of this, we add the fact that you are making plush "toys."
Face it!  No matter how well you do your job, there are people who will think of your animals as "Just Toys."  They are for children, not to be valued any more than a mere "plaything."

I'm not going to measure my words.  I'm just going to say it...  Yes, people are THAT stupid and THAT shallow!   bear_sad
They don't care.  They don't want to care.  I don't think many people have the capacity to care.
They want their "toys."  They only want to pay you $19.95 plus shipping and handling and they want it all delivered "yesterday."

It's a shame that people have to be that way!   bear_cry

The moral of the story is that, sometimes, we just have to say, "Forget-about-it!"
It is too easy to let other people make us feel negative about ourselves when the fault really lies with the other person.
Some days, I want to scream.  Other days, I just want to pull my blankets over my head and stay in bed all day.  But, overall, I have to teach myself not to let other people who act like idiots to ruin my day...  Just "forget-about-'em!"

Karen,  your cats and critters are cool!  If we weren't an all-Bear household, we would have some of them in our home.
But, who knows...  Maybe, some day, our Bears will decide that they want to have a pet kitty to play with?  bear_happy  :lol:

In the mean time...  "Illegitimi non carborundum!"   bear_laugh

boohbears Booh Bears
Glendale, Arizona
Website

When you consider the time, effort and love you put in to your creations and for someone to treat it like it was machine made and another can be produced at the drop of a hat is unbelievable.  I think you did the right thing, Karen!

enchantmentsart Feather Heart Creations
TX

I think you did the right thing by e-mailing the customer. This is the very reason I'm no longer doing commissions.  Ive had some crazy request and customer changing things at the last second bear_sad   If I had gotten a request like that one I would have said yeah but only if you pay for both lol bear_original

Board footer