Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

Barling Bears Barling Bears
Nr. Maidstone, Kent
Website

What2263.jpgWhat2267.jpgWhat2278.jpgWhat2279.jpgWhat2280.jpgHi everyone, bear_flower

I have just returned from Wales where I happened to be browsing around an "antique" shop.  There, sitting with another bear, was this poor old bear looking SO forlorn.  For some reason, even after departing the shop, I kept thinking about this tatty bear and had to return later to look at it again.  I think the dealer realised I was bit of a pushover for a sad old bear,   bear_sad  so minutes later I came out of the shop with my purchase!

Anyway, this bear has what I think is the Yes/No mechanism as it certainly moves its head up/down and side to side  and answers all my questions!  But it is in such a state, a lot of damage not noticeable until I removed a "home made" dress and pantaloons set, bonnet and wooly socks!  There are so many patches on this poor bear and it is in rather a poor state, the head only has mohair under the ears and eyes and the backing looks shiny and bald.  Mohair left on the body and limbs is gold.  Pawpads and footpads have "repairs" to them and are covered by patches so I daren't investigate at the moment as it is stuffed with woodwool.  I think it may have a growler which isn't working (surprise surprise!) and original black boot button eyes.

I am just wondering whether there is any hope for this poor bear, is he/she way past restoration?  Any help or advice would be so welcome please from all you lovely people,  I am sure someone may have come across this type of bear before or could tell me whether the antique dealer "saw me coming!!".

Many thanks and "tatty-bear" thanks you too for trying to help him ..  :hug:

Hugs

Marilyn x bear_flower

Clarebear Fulrfun Bears
Alice Springs

What  a treasure - i certainly don't think he is past the restoration process.  There is such a lot could be done to him in the right hands.  Lucky you for finding him.  Keep us posted on his progress.

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

He is a wonderful find!

The cloth on the head looks VERY delicate... Is that how it feels? I'd be worried about it not having much strength to work with.

If nothing else, you could give the bear a fabulous new set of clothes!

Becky

Rich1988 aRTy Bears
Burton, Staffs

I'm no expert but I would guess your best bet is to take him apart find the best match in mohair and pad materials and recreate him as best as possible from new fabric, perhaps including the old where possible? Maybe keep the old eyes? Have you got a plan for him? Depending what he's worth for you it might be worth a visit to the teddy hospital?
Let us know how you get on.

Richard
x

Nr. Maidstone, Kent
Website

Becky - No, the head feels quite firm with the woodwool and the mohair feels relatively strong.  Unfortunately the woodwool has broken away around the muzzle area so he has a loose nose.  There are so many peculiar patches of material on his body and bits of darning, I can only think that this rather sad looking bear was very well loved by someone because I do feel that maybe many people would possibly have discarded him long ago because he is in rather a state, poor thing..  I think it is that thought that made me want to buy him, someone loved it so much to do so many "repairs" to it but for one reason or another there is no-one currently doing that.  I hope to rectify that situation.

I would not want to make another head for it because then it would feel that it wasn't the original bear if you see what I mean but I am unsure where I can get such old mohair that I could use to maybe cover and reconstruct areas and sew invisibly. 

The paw and foot pads are all patched up so do not know how they should have looked originally either.

Richard - Yes, I know what you mean about taking him apart but I'm afraid he would disintegrate.  I will probably take him to a bear hospital eventually but wanted to see if I could find any information about him first to see whether it is something I could maybe tackle myself, give myself a little challenge!!

The poor bear is currently in the freezer for the next four days (read somewhere that is what I should do first!) to kill off any "nasties" and then let him dry out.  He did feel a little soggy when I went to check him a while ago so dread to think what I am going to find shortly!!!

Hugs

Marilyn

Fallenrose near Cologne

I wouldn't take him apart either, I think he could be displayed like that, maybe in some handmade clothes, showing how well loved he has been and is^^

Hugs, Ariane

Us Bears Pennsylvania

I am guessing he is a jointed Bear and the patches on his shoulders and hips are holding his legs and arms together.  Are they?

He is a Yes-No Bear so he's a bit more auspicious than your average Bear, love-worn or not.  That would make him worth repairing or at least stabilizing right there.

If he's jointed, he could have his joints fixed.  His Yes-No mechanism can be fixed up in the process.
If he needs new eyes, new pads or a new nose, he can have those things.  As long as his fabric is sturdy and there are no bugs living on him, the rest of him should be all right.

I'm with the others.  Spiff him up by whatever means you feel comfortable and/or send him to a Bear hospital.  After that, make him some new clothes and let him spend his retirement years in comfort.

Give him some cookies and milk and I bet he's got some stories to tell!  bear_laugh

Aleta - The Silly Bear The Silly Bear
Portland, Oregon
Website

Marilyn,  bear_flower
I LOVE this bear!!  Of course, I seem to rescue the most loved bears on the planet...dolls too.  Personal preference is to keep the bear as is.  Someone loved this bear an awful lot to make all those repairs.  He (bear looks like a he to me) tells a story of love just by being.  I'm of the opinion to find him some old clothes to cover the newer/whiter mends but leave the older mends showing.  I have bears with limbs unnattached and such fragile mohair that covering them in clothing is the best method to keep them intact.  I'm a soft heart for the well-loved. 

Your bear is certainly a charmer and a keeper for sure!!

Warmest bear hugs,  :hug:
Aleta

Nr. Maidstone, Kent
Website

Thank you all for your replies and for taking the time to read about poor tatty bear.

Us Bears wrote:

I am guessing he is a jointed Bear and the patches on his shoulders and hips are holding his legs and arms together.  Are they?

Yes, he is jointed and only one joint is not turning correctly.  My worry though is that if the joints are fixed, it really means taking everything apart, new stuffing, the works, then would it really feel like the same bear with all his character?  Either way, I certainly intend to find some appropriate material to make some new clothing.  Tatty Bear was actually dressed as a girl when I bought it with a dress, bloomers (!) and hat, though I keep referring to it as a "he". 

He looks as though he is in nappies (diapers) doesn't he but they are patches on top of patches, holding the joints in place probably, so the poor thing is obviously in a right old state underneath.  I was wondering who the maker could be so that I can determine how his paws and feet should appear, especially with any paw embroidery on them. 

I was wondering whether it would be right to maybe "re-patch" this bear using a sparse mohair that I could try to match colour-wise?  Half of his face is covered in patches though so maybe there is no mohair underneath at all.  He does have lovely eyes though and even in his poor condition, he still "looks" at you as if to say "help me".  So that is what I will do ... bear_wub  bear_wub

My quest continues ..... 

Thank you!
Hugs
Marilyn x

kezjoy KezjoyKritterz
Gippsland Victoria

wow congratulations..he is adorable!! (yes, he seems like a He to me too!!) If he were mine, i would unpick the white fabric from the top of his legs and shoulders and see what the damage is. It might not be as bad as the "bandages" make it seem. You may just need to sew some holes closed.
He appears well stuffed! If he were mine, I would dress him in a jumper and pants and leave him as he is!
About the freezer, did you put him in a plastic bag first?? I hear than can keep the damp out!

Enjoy him

Kerrilyn

peterbear Boechout, Antwerp

I haven't got the faintest idea how you could restore such a bear, Marilyn, so my contribution to this post is completely useless.  bear_wacko

But I do want to say how wonderful it is that you have found this bear and brought him home with you.
If only he could talk and tell you all that has happened to him.  He must have been a very well loved and treasured bear.    bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub

Whatever you decide to do, I am glad he has found a new home with you.  bear_thumb

Hugs,  :hug:

Peter & the Barling Rascals

Us Bears Pennsylvania

Marilyn,

My wife, Melanie, rejointed a small, 8" Bear whose leg had come off.  He was on display in a gift shop and somebody pulled too hard!  :(

She unsewed the seam at the Bear's bum and unsewed the inside seam of the Bear's leg and slipped the disks in sideways.  Then the joints were set by feeling through the Bear's stuffing and everything was sewed back up again.

He was a polyester fluff filled Bear and the joints were plastic disks.  That's different than your Bear but the point is that, with some careful thinking, it might be possible to rejoint him.

But our suggestion is to think first and plan carefully before forging ahead.  If it doubt, don't do it.

However, we are glad to report that the injured Bear is doing fine and lives happily in his new Den.  bear_original

edie Bears by Edie
Southern Alberta

Marilyn, he looks to me like he is a Yes/No Schuco bear - one of the earlier ones with much shorter fur than the "Tricky" Schuco's from the 50's. I am going to add a photo of one that I have that looks somewhat similar although yours appears to have longer legs.

Schuco_yes_no.JPG

I would tend to leave him close to the way he is now - adding clothing maybe as some have suggested - and only do what is required to stablize him and perhaps redo some of the more unsightly patches so that they look a little better - but don't try to make him look new!!!

Nr. Maidstone, Kent
Website

Dear Kerrilyn, Peter, Us Bears (sorry I don't know your name), and Edie,

Many thanks for your replies.  Yes, I am pretty sure he is a Schuco bear and because of the black boot button eyes, from around 1920's.

He is still in the freezer (fully bagged up) so after he has thawed and dried out for a few days, I will slowly investigate the patches.  I think there are some considerable sized holes under the "bandages" and can see that there is darning too under them.  I certainly have no intention or desire to make him look newer, I just want to stop any further deterioration and will definitely replace the patches with a more sympathetic fabric, possibly even a similar backing from mohair.  Whether patches made from a matching mohair backing would look alright, I am not really sure.  Has anyone applied this to a bear before? But I am certain it would be an improvement on his current attire!!

Edie - yes this certainly does look a little like your bear, with that particular colour of mohair, ears etc.  What height is your bear?

Tatty bear was a girl in former life so I think I will retain that side of her little life ...  now, just for a name!!!  I will have to think about how to dress her (if she does remain a "lady") but I am looking forward to bringing a little life back into "her".

Many thanks for your help, I will keep you informed as to any progress!!

Hugs

Marilyn x

Us Bears Pennsylvania
Barling Bears wrote:

Tatty bear was a girl in former life so I think I will retain that side of her little life ...  now, just for a name!!!

First she was a tatty Bear.
Next she'll be a natty Bear.
Schuco was her daddy Bear.

So, name her Natty-Tatty Schuco Bear!  bear_laugh

Bumpkin Bears Bumpkin Bears
Antwerp, Belgium

beau2.jpgDear Marilyn, I am sure that dear Tatty was destined to come to you.  Now you will be part of his/her story.  I look forward to hearing you get on, what a special challenge.  I just love his expression.  IF you are looking for some golden mohair backing that may help patch up where he has his 'bandages' I got a lovely gold mohair when I was at Hugglets, that I used on Beau (see pic - http://www.bumpkinbears.com/en/v3/bears/beau.php).  I am pretty sure it was from Christie Bears.  You could always age the backing if it is a little bit too bright.  I do have a few little scraps left over I could send you, but I think they may be too small for what you need for Tatty.
Hugs, Catherine x

edie Bears by Edie
Southern Alberta

Marilyn, my bear is about 11 inches tall.

Nr. Maidstone, Kent
Website

US Bears -  I had fun with this one!!  - "Natty Tatty" was going around and around in my head when I was trying to sleep after reading your post.  It was like being in a train on a rickety track!  I had to get out of bed and go and get myself a drink to take my mind of it!! :crackup:

Catherine - thank you so much for your kind offer but I should think your mohair is too glorious for Tatty!  Poor little thing is in a very bad way.

Edie - thank you, I just wondered if they were the same size but Tatty is a bit larger.

Tatty Bear was removed from the freezer today and left to thaw himself out.  Actually he was fine, not damp at all, just a bit nippy.  He was lying with the late afternoon sunshine warming up his little toes, probably the best he has felt for some time! 

I couldn't stand looking at those patches on him any longer so carefully removed them and that alone took over an hour just to remove the tiny stitches which were all over the patches, many concealed in layers underneath.  Well, unfortunately Tatty is a little worse than I thought.  The arms are not even attached to the body!  The patches were literally just holding them in place as the mohair has ripped under the arms and so the joint which should be inside the arm is on the outside of the body with the arm "stitched" over the top of the joint to hide it.  One arm could probably be left but the other is worse.

As for the legs, well it looks as though the bear has been grabbed with a leg in each hand and then pulled in opposite directions.  The mohair is ripped to the inside of the legs with joints fully showing though the joints do turn.  This could be disguised probably with some close mohair/backing that could be sewn over the area to protect and hold in position.

What can I say about the had - it is a complete mess.  I really do feel that this poor bear has been grabbed by a dog as there are so many holes in it, large areas of darning, and I am way too scared to take the patches off because the mohair in several areas is wanting to disintegrate.  With the face and head being the main feature of a bear, I am at a complete loss as to what to do.  Loss of stuffing in the muzzle has given it a broken nose appearance and the mohair backing has disintegrated completed under the nose area so there is absolutely no way you can  do any sewing or tiny stitches to this area.  It looks as though he has had three different noses but I can't remove any layers because I am fairly certain that once again the backing fabric would fall away.

I will post some photos of the poor little love, he does look better without the patches on him but am wondering whether I should maybe just secure his arms to his shoulders  and just do the minimum amount of work to him.  Maybe just leave the face???  Dilemma, dilemma, dilemma!

I have decided that I am going to leave his tatty paws and feet exactly as they are so that some of the previous owner's loving work on him remains in place.  He would look ridiculous having new paws and pads with a face and head in such a bad state.

Just noticed I have been calling Tatty a "him" when it should be a "her".  What a confused little bear! 

Tonight when I was looking at Tatty, I had him sitting on a table in front of me.  When sitting up, he is resting on the "yes/no" mechanism, and as I went to lift him up gently it must have rocked on the mechanism because suddenly his little head nodded up and down a few times as if to say "Yes, I agree with everything you've been saying to me"!  and I must say that I feel so attached to this funny little bear already.  Aaawwwww.......... bear_wub

If you're not all too bored with this story, I will post some photos of his condition shortly!  Thank you for reading my ramblings!

Hugs

Marilyn and Tatty x

Nr. Maidstone, Kent
Website

Tatty2295.jpgTatty2347.jpgTatty2345.jpgTatty2297.jpgTatty2346.jpgTatty2289.jpgTatty2284.jpgI just thought I would pop up a few pictures of Tatty now that he has some of his patches off - freedom at last!  My last post above describes the state he is in but now he looks somewhat more dignified even though he is in the buff! Nice to see him relaxed and sunning himself in the evening sunshine.

Hugs
Marilyn

Us Bears Pennsylvania

I've got an idea...  How about you make the Bear some "permanent underwear?"

Make a pair of undies, like underpants, but sew them on so that they hold the Bear together like the patches did only nicer looking.

First, you and the Bear get together and decide if it's a boy or a girl Bear.  Then make him some boxer shorts or make HER some frilly bloomers to wear then sew them on to hold the legs in place.  Make an undershirt or a halter top to hold the arms together.  Sew it all down, nice and secure so the Bear holds together.

Let the Bear pick out his/her own fabric.  If it's a boy Bear, I think he'd like a pair of plaid boxer shorts.  Don't you?  ;)

But, first, get off all the old patches and stitches that are likely to go bad and cause more damage.  Pull out any bad stuffing and fill with new if necessary.  Brush and clean up what's left of the fur so the Bear looks as nice as it can.  Then give the Bear some underwear and a set of clothes and he/she should be as good as new!  bear_original

edie Bears by Edie
Southern Alberta

Oh, he looks much better already with those sloppy big white patches gone!

DENBY30 DENBY BEARS
EDISON, NEW JERSEY

bear_wub Someone must have loved that bear so much to go thru all that patching and stitching to keep it in one piece.  That is a lot of sewing.  Normally if a bear got in that condition, it would be thrown out.  But someone really loved this bear so much that the time was taken to keep it together.  It must have been special in some way.  I too have grown to love him since you have been showing us this soleful bear.  A little clothes and maybe even a hat will hold him together.  The joint problem can only be fixed by more patching then jointing.  Opening it up could create more problems like you said.  I wish you luck with whatever you decide and keep us informed now that we all have an attachement to this wonderful ole bear.
Hugs Pat

boohbears Booh Bears
Glendale, Arizona
Website

Awww. bless her little tatty teddy heart!  I love her just as she is and I would personally give her a lovely antique outfit from her era and allow her to stay as sweet as she is -
Hugs,
Janice

2catkiss LALand Bears
Oregon

I am in love  bear_wub  with Tatty.  I can't get enough of his story.

An idea came to mind...basically suggestions are being made to apply fabric over the bear body as a permanent fix to hold arms, legs, etc.  Would it be possible also to get a piece of distressed mohair and sew it "over" his head?  In other words, leave the existing head in place and sort of cover it with a new layer?
Then apply an antique outfit as the finishing touch.

Keep us posted with whatever you decide to do...
Regards
Lee Ann

Vicki Posts: 99

Radar-30.jpgOhhhhh...I am totally in love with this little guy!!  Once again I haven't been online in a while (been working on my summer swap bear...finally almost finished), but the first post I saw was this one and oh my goodness!!!

The first thing I thought of was Radar O'Reillys bear from the television show M*A*S*H, and how much love and devotion Radar had for his companion.  I don't know if you have ever seen the show (I'll post a photo below if I can find one), but Radar was a Corporal in a medical unit in the Korean War in the early 1950's.  He was sort of a child in a mans body, sweet, naive and friendly to everyone.  And one of the things he was known for was the special relationship he had with his teddy bear.  He acquired his nickname 'Radar' for his uncanny ability to sense and hear the helicopters and other things before they arrived.

Your little bear has seen so much in his life I'm sure...joys and sorrows and everything in between, and he soooo reminds me of Radar's bear.  How absolutely WONDERFUL that you found him.  Whatever price you paid for his was well worth it...he is simply priceless!

If he were mine, (aside from naming him Radar..haha), I would do as little as possible to him and leave him as he is with all the wonderful character that he has...a lifetime of character!!

You have a phenomenal find there!!!!
~Vicki

Board footer