Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

Fallenrose near Cologne

Hey there,

I'm having quite a problem at the moment and was wondering if anybody could help me?!
In fact, we have a hobby shop here that carries glass eyes with loop at pretty good prices (around 50cents/eye) that were good quality ones, but they only have blue and brown eyes - and not the smaller ones I need for my miniatures. I think their smallest eyes are about 6mm; and I'm already getting tired about using the brown and the blue ones all the time...

I had a look on the Internet then and somebody recommended glasseyesonline.com to me. Their prices were fabulous and they had a great colour range so I gave it a go - but was really disappointed with what I got: Had to throw away most of the eyes because either the pupils weren't paired or there were tons of air bulbs inside the eye; also, the wire loops didn't look well-made to me. With the 4mm eyes I ordered there was even one of them that didn't make the 4mm's at all, it wasn't even a round shape!
I then sent an email to them explaining the problem and got the following answer: "I'll try to do better, but these are a production grade" (btw, what does that mean, 'production grade'??). They send me another package with new eyes (mainly blue ones although the damaged ones were of other colours too), but those were good for the bin as well!

I have 5 critters here on my table, unfinished because I have to finish the heads first (I'm even running out of pins as I couldn't stand these eyeless creatures and put the pins onto them...) - and I don't have any eyes that I can use for them!

To cut a long story short: Could anybody of you point me to a shop on the Internet where I can buy good quality glass eyes on a loop, possibly in a wide range of colours, eyes that are 6mm and smaller if possible - and nevertheless affordable for a poor student?! It would be great if there were reductions for buying them in bulk, too, because I'd like to build up a stock of different coloured eyes without to have to pay a fortune for it....

Thanks for you suggestions, Ariane

PS: Before I forget it.... At the moment, I only have two pieces of ultra suede and would like to stock up, but am not sure about which colours to choose - Is there any place where I can buy a pack of different colours all in one?

Geralye Belper, Derbyshire
Fallenrose near Cologne

Thanks for the tip - did you try them already and can give some information on their quality?

boohbears Booh Bears
Glendale, Arizona
Website

Hi Ariane,
Edinburgh Imports carries glass eyes of all colors (4 mm and 5 mm sizes included).  They also carry clear glass eyes that you can paint yourself to achieve the color you want.   I haven't purchased the colored eyes (except the Starburst) in a long time so I cannot tell you how the quality is - maybe you could order just a couple pair to check them before placing a large order.  The Starburst are exceptional quality but are very expensive.   Here's a link .. http://www.edinburghimports.com/shopping/FU6.asp
Good Luck,
Janice

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

I HIGHLY recommend Edinburgh Imports! Their eyes are the best quality I've found and their color and size selection can't be beat! They'll ship anywhere in the world. They also have a fantastic selection of ultrasuede and I believe you can buy it in multi-color packs! One stop shopping!!! Janice gave you the link above for eyes. Here's a link so you can browse all of the items they sell:
http://www.edinburghimports.com/shopping/

Fallenrose near Cologne

Janice, Daphne,

thank you so much for your recommendation!
This is exactly what I was looking for - and their prices seem pretty reasonable to me. And they even have discounts of you order more than 1 pair, yay!
Now I'll just have to see how high the shipping will be for Germany and then - decide which colours I'll buy..lol

Hugs, Ariane

PS: They do take Paypal as payment method, don't they?!

puca bears puca bears

Hiya
how about www.glasaugen-porzel.de  ? I've been buying from them for years........they start at 2mm, NOT expensive, and the quality is GOOD...............and - best of all - they're HERE, in Germany, so no worries about currencies or the dreaded Customs!
huggies
Maria

Fallenrose near Cologne

Maria,

thanks for this website, I didn't know them before - although I don't seem to see where to order from them?!
But that they're in Germany is great - the shipping costs shouldn't be that high, should they?

Nevertheless, I just placed an order at Edinburgh, I'll see how their eyes are first. Has anybody a tip on how to paint clear glass eyes? I mean, are acrylic paints fine or do I need something special?

Hugs, ariane

puca bears puca bears

Hi again
I think you can just email them to order............and no - the postage isn't a lot!
huggies
Maria

Fallenrose near Cologne

Hi Maria,

a, I see. Just being curious - how high are their prices in average?

Hugs, Ariane

Melisa Nichols Melisa's Bears
Hazelton, BC
Website

There's lots of different ways to paint glass eyes - I think there are tips in the library... but I use both acrylics with a sealer, or nail polish.  Both work well.  Have fun painting - it's such fun to see the eyes come to life!  bear_thumb

puca bears puca bears

Hi again
I have a price list here......but it's actually 3 years old, so I don't exactly know if the prices have gone up...........
but - lets see........
2mm schwarzeaugen an Öse.......12 cents a pair
20 mm - are 1.33 a pair.............
gives you some idea.
If you contact them I'm sure they'd give you a price list.
from past experience they are very pleasant to deal with.........and very prompt in delivery....
huggies
Maria

Fallenrose near Cologne

Hi Maria,

wow, that are quite good prices, I should probably try them out *_*
Thanks for this info  :hug:

Ariane

Board footer