Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

shiniker Little Leaf Bears by Shanna
Loveland

Hello-

I am trying to find out what to do to make sure the edges don't fray on ears that are Ultrasuede or similar on the inside and mohair on the outside, but to keep them from being too bulky are not stitched.  I think someone referred to it as fused once.  I tried a search in the ear category and didn't come up with anything and I tried searching fused ear with no results.  I apologize if this has been discussed before, I'm not sure what to type into the search engine.  I am making my first mouse and just did her ears, they are fine, but I think they would be so much better without so much extra bulk.  I would like to do a miniature mouse next and am hoping to implement this.  Any and all help is most appreciated.

Thank you thank you!!

Shanna

Lhearn Critters Creations
Alberta
Website

Hi Shanna, What you are looking for is fuseable webing. That's what they call it here in Canada. It is so you can fuse the two pieces of material together with out having to sew the two pieces together.

BequestBears Butterfly Bequest
Website

Shanna
There is a product called Wonder Under which will allow you to fuse 2 fabrics together.  Most fusibles are only "sticky" on 1 side and will only work to give body to 1 fabric, so make sure you look for a double-sided product.  I have found Wonder Under at Joann fabrics.
Good Luck
Diana

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I have just finished a small mouse and used ultrasuede by itself for the ears.  But, yes, the fusible fabric will certainly work.  I use Thermo o Web's Heat n Bond brand of iron-on adhesive.  For a strong no-sew bond, use the ultrahold kind.

emmastephens Emma Stephens Crafty Creations
Gloucestershire

I've used bondaweb before, you iron it on one side, peel off the backing paper then press the two fabrics together and iron them. I'm not sure what it's called in the US, I expect it's one of the ones that Sue Ann & Diana mentioned :)

Emma
xxx

ursidae Posts: 227

I'm confused a bit....so when you fuse the two pieces together for a mouse or rabbit ear for example....do you sew around the outer edge or just trim it so it has a clean, scissor cut edge?

Great question btw bear_original

shiniker Little Leaf Bears by Shanna
Loveland

Thanks everyone!  I've also seen raw edges on the mohair, does this fusing material prevent fraying as well or do you fray check (or maybe something else).

Thanks again!

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

The fusing materials don't show, either the iron-on or the sticky-backed, though I prefer the iron-on if you can find it and if your fabric can take it. Use a pressing cloth or (cooking) parchment paper to keep the iron off the fabric surface.

I have a 'needle board', used to press velvet, and once did this very same thing when I wanted to bond the short, bristly mohair for a miniature to a brocade but didn't want to crush down the mohair fibers. It worked wonderfully!

The products like this are quite thin and just melt - they disappear between the two outer fabrics. Just bond them together according to whatever directions are given for your product and trim the edges; they will have a sharp, clean edge and it prevents any further fraying of the backing.
Or you could create a fuzzy raggedy edge if you'd like that too - the fabrics will stay bonded together if they are thoroughly bonded to begin with!

Board footer