Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

Fallenrose near Cologne

I've searched the library for an answer to my question already and have had a look at photos of bears with trapunto toes, but haven't found what I was looking for, so I'm posting my question here:

I'm doing the bear for the Basic bear boot camp atm and wanted to try some trapunto toes (as my smaller ones are too small for something like this; and I won't make much more bears that high) with the normal part of the footpad made out of mohair (I'm using a sparse pink mohair) and the trapunto part out of some micro plush from Sassy fabrics.
I'm wondering now.... should the fur run down the foot or up to the toes? I've seen bears with both, which one looks best in your opinion?

Thanks for your help!  :hug:

Hugs, Ariane

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

I know everyone has their own opinion here, and I do think this is really a preference.  I do not do trapanto but pulled toes using leather.  But I always have the pile of the mohair facing up toward the toes.  For me when done it looks better.

Joanne

Fallenrose near Cologne

Thanks for the opinion.
I figured I should try it like this, too, as it forms a smoother line with the heel part of the leg (if that makes sense?)

Hugs, Ariane

shiniker Little Leaf Bears by Shanna
Loveland

I also like to have the mohair facing upward towards the toes.  Good luck!

Fallenrose near Cologne

Well, as I use some sparse mohair it doesn't make a very big difference..but I wanted to have some opinions first lol For future Trapunto toes for example

Geralye Belper, Derbyshire

Interesting!

I'd have thought that the natural 'flow' of walking would tend to cause the lay of the fur to go backwards towards the heel?  OK, I know your bears are not going to go walking about, but I think you probably know what I mean   bear_grin

Fallenrose near Cologne

Hm..
Interesting point of view..  :crackup:
I hadn't thought about something similar to this.
Let's pretend, this little cutey has been brought everywhere by her mother and hadn't the need to use her own feet on the ground lol

Clarebear Fulrfun Bears
Alice Springs

if you do it one way and don't like it then use hair product to get it to go the other way.  I recently brushed some mohair after making a bear with it - big mistake it 'grew' in volume so much and went really frizzy.  I then sprayed it with water and put a heap of hair gel in it - after a couple of days the gel came out with some 'finger' combing and my bear no longer looked like it had been playing with the loight socket.

Fallenrose near Cologne

Hm..
I would be worried that the hair gel affects the mohair..
Can you use any type of hair gel or are there certain types you shouldn't use because of some substances in them?

Bareteddie Posts: 11
Fallenrose wrote:

I've searched the library for an answer to my question already and have had a look at photos of bears with trapunto toes, but haven't found what I was looking for, so I'm posting my question here:

I'm doing the bear for the Basic bear boot camp atm and wanted to try some trapunto toes (as my smaller ones are too small for something like this; and I won't make much more bears that high) with the normal part of the footpad made out of mohair (I'm using a sparse pink mohair) and the trapunto part out of some micro plush from Sassy fabrics.
I'm wondering now.... should the fur run down the foot or up to the toes? I've seen bears with both, which one looks best in your opinion?

Thanks for your help!  :hug:

Hugs, Ariane

I'm also doing the BBB Ariane, I think it's been really great so far. Have even discussed doing the advanced course in October.

Fallenrose near Cologne

You're right, it is pretty interesting - there are lots of different ways to make those things, and it is great to see how other artists make this, too.

I'm not sure if I'll take the advanced course, 60$ are pretty much for me... We'll see how it goes^^

Bareteddie Posts: 11

I will wait till I finish the BBB first then I'll think about if I'll go any further.

Fallenrose near Cologne

Yes, that sounds pretty reasonable. In the meantime, I make another of their free courses, and am curious to see how this one turns out

TreacleBears Treacle Bears

ive just finished this technique on my latest bear... will share photos soon...
This was my first go at doing this and I did the fur facing up towards the toes. 
Loved the results as I have done it with the shabby chic cotton fabric that I always use on my bears paw pads - looks fab!
x

Fallenrose near Cologne

Oh yes please, show us some pictures! I'd love to see how it looks in your style!

I have finished my trapunto pawpads and am now waiting to continue the bear.

Board footer