Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

Fallenrose near Cologne

Me again,

Yesterday, I stumbled across an online shop for bear materials selling "mineral granulate material" as filling for bears, to add weight. Stuff like that: http://www.vega-direct.at/IMAGE_POOL/wg … 9794_2.jpg
I'm wondering if it CAN be used in Teddy Bears or if there is anything that speaks against it. I've bought some of this stuff already for another project and have lots of it I wouldn't use in any other way so I was thinking about giving it ago.

Anybody tried this?

Hugs, Ariane

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

I think there are many people who use mineral granules as a filling to add weight.  You must consider where you are shipping bears.  Some countries Australia for one is very strict about what is allowed into the country.  Although they look nice and clean, I think anything that could be considered earth, dirt, stones would be confiscated.    There are places that sell little glass beads that add weight and are a good alternative.

Joanne

Fallenrose near Cologne

I think that's a good point, I hadn't thought about this...
Well, these little "stones" aren't dirty, are they?
Glass beads like... beads that you use in beading? or something different? We have one crafty store here that sells glass beads but they are kind of pricey and I better like to use them for my beading projects....

I plan to buy some stainless steel shot, but haven't found a good online shop with good prices....

Hugs, Ariane

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Ariane, CR's Crafts has tiny glass beads for stuffing.  http://www.crscraft.com/products/vProdu … chOffset=x  Has anyone ever used the synthetic feather stuffing they have?  It says 'firm stuffing' in the description which is how I stuff.  Thought I might try some, but wanted to see what others thought about it.

Fallenrose near Cologne

Thanks for the link, SueAnn, I'll take a look at these and the other things they have. Might buy something from them. For now (e.g. for the Basic Bear Boot Camp Bear I'm making), I'll use what I have here to add weight to my bears feet/tummy

Hugs, Ariane

ArtHeart Kran-Beary's
Thunder Bay ON Canada

Hi !
Most countries, provinces, states will have a law regarding what is and isnt' allowed as stuffing for bedding, plush toys (the category that artist bears will fall into)  and such.  Here's a link for the Ontario law:
http://www.e-laws.gov.on.ca/html/revoke … 1092_e.htm   It also contains a table (scroll down) of what stuffings are 'legal.'

I 've found the laws vary slightly, but are the same in general.  You may want to google to see what your country says about stuffing regulations. If you're shipping the bears, a time may come when one or another custom's agency could take issue with this. Most large fairs also have a requirement about this in their registration contract. 

Hope this helps you out.
Happy stuffing
Hugs,
nt

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA
SueAnn wrote:

Has anyone ever used the synthetic feather stuffing they have?  It says 'firm stuffing' in the description which is how I stuff.  Thought I might try some, but wanted to see what others thought about it.

I bought a bag of it out of curiosity. I have not opened the bag but can tell that, for me, it's not something I'll use. It's little pieces of some sort of synthetic material... like shredded foam sort of. It could be very interesting and produce great results but just not something I think I could easily work with knowing how I stuff my bears. If you want this bag to try it out I'd be happy to send it to you for just the cost of shipping.
bear_original

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA
ArtHeart wrote:

Most countries, provinces, states will have a law regarding what is and isnt' allowed as stuffing for bedding, plush toys (the category that artist bears will fall into) and such.

You may want to google to see what your country says about stuffing regulations. If you're shipping the bears, a time may come when one or another custom's agency could take issue with this. Most large fairs also have a requirement about this in their registration contract.

Great advice. We've discussed this with using certain organic and inorganic materials for stuffing in the past and many have stated that their country won't allow such materials through customs. It's really just not worth the risk where there are materials out there such as glass beads and stainless steel shot that are readily available and safe to ship just about anywhere.

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Daphne wrote:

I bought a bag of it out of curiosity. I have not opened the bag but can tell that, for me, it's not something I'll use. It's little pieces of some sort of synthetic material... like shredded foam sort of. It could be very interesting and produce great results but just not something I think I could easily work with knowing how I stuff my bears. If you want this bag to try it out I'd be happy to send it to you for just the cost of shipping.
:)

Sure, Daphne . . . I'll take it if you're not going to use it.  I'm not in any great hurry, so just send it whenever it fits with your schedule.  Will PayPal be okay?  I appreciate the offer - thanks!  :hug:

Fallenrose near Cologne

Thanks for all the input.

I think I'll use the granulate material for the bears I plan to keep then... And will buy stainless steel or glass beads^^

Hugs, Ariane

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA
Sue Ann wrote:

Sure, Daphne . . . I'll take it if you're not going to use it.  I'm not in any great hurry, so just send it whenever it fits with your schedule.  Will PayPal be okay?  I appreciate the offer - thanks!  :hug:

I'll get it off to you sometime this week and email ya with the shipping cost. PayPal is fine! bear_original

Board footer