Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

Fallenrose near Cologne

Hey^^

So, now that I have decided that my bears are good enough to be sold and that I've decided on a name for my little "business", I wanted to create a blog to show off my work and stuff like that, but - there is one question I couldn't answer.
I enjoy reading blogs to see new creations and get to know the artists - but then I see the blogs of Russian artists for example that are written in a language I can't read & that is kind of disappointing..

My first intention was to write my blog in German as this is my mother tongue. But on the other hand, English speaking people wouldn't be able to read this... I surely can write in English, but writing in German is much faster. I also could write in French (as my mother's French), but well.... Or I could write both in German and English....

What do you say about this? Is there any advice you could give me?

Hugs, Ariane

rowarrior The Littlest Thistle
Glasgow

I use Google translate  bear_laugh

Fallenrose near Cologne

Google translate?... gah, gives some funny sentences - but nothing similar to what's actually written there, does it?

Glasgow

No it translates the whole blog/page for you.  It's part of the Google toolbar and will translate automatically certain languages

Fallenrose near Cologne

Yes, I know. I tried it on the ebearz course form English to German - well, it translated the whole page, but word for word and without taking into consideration that there are words with different meanings... The sentences were funny but hadn't much sense, so I'm not sure if I like this idea for the English speaking people who find my blog...

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

I use it too, Ariane and I don't have the google tool bar.  You can see it on my blog - it's a small box and you pick what language you want the blog translated to.  I'm sure it's not perfect, but I have a lot of people from Russia that visit my blog, so I can only assume that they use it.  You can get it from www.babelfish.com and you download it onto your blog.  Just don't ask me how I did it as it was when I first did my blog a long time ago and I have a cold/flu bug and my head is swimming.  I'm sure lots of other people here can help you, if you run into problems.

hugs,

Brenda

Fallenrose near Cologne

Hi Brenda,

thanks for the input.
I took a look at your blog and tried the translator, but the translation is really weird....
Hm.. I might incorporate some kind of translator nevertheless for my German text.. And then maybe for the bears that I want to sell.. add the description in English, too, becuase I don't want the translator to totally mess up with it.
What do you think of this method?

Hugs, Ariane

Glasgow

Well it seems to work for everyone else around the world to just write in their own language, from Russian, to Latvian, to German, to French, to Spanish etc.  Yep, there are a few things that come out a little odd, but I just consider it a feature, and have fun working out what it might mean - the Russian and Greek can be most entertaining!

Fallenrose near Cologne

It surely works out for others to write in their own language, but... as I'm most often in the English speaking part of the Bear community (and ofter have the problem to find the correct German term when explaining something to my mother as I always read/use the English ones  :crackup: ), I thought about being nice to the English people here lol
Should be better for my sales, shouldn't it? When the English speaking people can read anything about the bear without having to work out what exactly this should mean.....
Or am I thinking too complicated?

Hugs, Ariane

boohbears Booh Bears
Glendale, Arizona
Website

Hi Ariane,
As an "English only" speaking person, I think you may be thinking too complicated!   If I really want something and it's written in a language other than English, I do whatever it takes to figure out what it is saying!  I have even sent the description to a German speaking friend for her to translate for me!   I think your mother tongue is fine and us English only speaking people can use the translator! 
Hugs,
Janice

Fallenrose near Cologne

Thanks for your comment Janice.
This makes totally sense for me.... I think I'll go with a German blog then - if I have new bears available, I'll surely also post them here on TT so you'll be able to see the details here, too.

Hugs, Ariane

Linda Benson Bears
Tasmania

Google translate can be hillarious  bear_laugh I tried it on a Russian blog a while back and it told me the page was already in English, NOT! I think that this was because the title was in English, but the body of the blog was in Russian!  bear_tongue I suppose if I highlight just the Russian it would work, I haven't bothered trying. So Ariane, perhaps you should make sure the ENTIRE page is in German. We have a music game show over here, and they sometimes have a segment on it where they have had the lyrics of a song translated into Japanese and then back into English (using one of the translate programmes). Some of the contortions are amazing and you wouldn't even recognise the song! It's often a real crackup!  :crackup:  :crackup:  :crackup:

Board footer