Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

Fallenrose near Cologne

Hello there,

I have a good friend that wants me to make a Bear for her, but she has rather specific desires s to how he should look (his attitude you might say). Well, she told me she wants a bear that looks noble but is quite simple on the other hand without fancy details. His..position and mimic shall show his nobleness. I then mentioned that he could kind of look down on somebody with his chin pointing upwards (does this make sense?), but she doesn't like the part with the chin pointing upwards.
She then talked about a "typical bear attitude" that bears in the past had, sitting upright, head straight forward, pretty rigid arms/legs.

I think what she is referring to is a "traditional bear", isn't she?
And now I wanted to know which are the characteristics of such an traditional bear; my patterns aren't traditional so I don't have a clue how such a bear should look like. Any hints or jsut photos of bears looking kind of like my description would be a great help!

Thank you, Ariane

rowarrior The Littlest Thistle
Glasgow

Maybe look at the Steiff site for the ultra traditional bear look

Fallenrose near Cologne

Hm..Actually I HAVE a traditional steiff bear... I didn't think of that  :crackup:  Should take a good look at him, yeah

Hugs, Ariane

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

You could also browse the antique teddy bears on ebay, where you'll see many different kinds of "traditional" - especially German, English, and American bears.

Becky

Lovethosebears Yorkshire

Ariane, I think the bear you made on the Ebearz course is quite traditional - perhaps you can study that pattern and develop your own?

huggleybear C.W. Huggley Bears
Statham, GA

Hi Ariane,

Here is a link to a book that may help you define 'traditional'.  Maybe someone you know has this book you could borrow.  It is helpful in defining what a traditional bear looks like.  Sounds like your friend has some definite ideas as to what she wants.  Maybe you could show her some photos and she could show you what she has in mind and you could avoid the frustration of guessing.  Hope this helps.

http://www.amazon.com/Making-Traditiona … 0715304313

Cindy

Fallenrose near Cologne

Ali,

yeah, you're right, I thought it was quite traditional... but wasn't sure

Cindy, thanks for the link, this book looks as if it could help me!
Well, I showed my friend some photos of traditional Steiff Bears and she said, that's quite what she wants - but with shorter arms  bear_grin  I'll now have to see what else she has in mind.

Thank you all, Ariane

Board footer