Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

Pages:
SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I just read on Lily's FB page that one of the COLLARED/RIBBONED research bears was killed this morning.  Along with my deep sadness and sympathy for the researchers, I am livid with disgust at the hunter.  How could he????
Sorry, I can't type any more.

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

I'm with you, Sue Ann. It's horrible.

Becky

Mitch2052 Blue Valley Bears
Website

This news is so terrible.. I log onto the website and check the information of the bears and researchers regulary, I think the work that they are doing to learn about the bears is just so amazing. I am at a loss to understand how someone could find sport in killing and animal that is so trusting to humans. I hope will all my heart that all the other bears remain safe. bear_angry

lemon wolf bear 1 Lemon Wolf Bears
Northern MN.
Website

They said the "hunter"  turned in the collar anonymously, well of course,  given they shot a semi-tame bear it is kinda like a sportsman shooting a dog, can you call it sportsmanlike? Really?? Or just an opportunity for a poor "sportsman" to shoot a bear and pretend he is a good sportsman?? Bet he doesn't share the collar info with his friends! ...They take away the title won when it is learned that an athlete wins using drugs, why should this cheater keep his "prize".  I was just at the Bear Center yesterday and just watched Ted, Honey and Lucky, how sweet and their eyes show such peace, I tried not to but as I sat there I imagined taking aim and shooting one, HOW?? I don't understand. I also must sign off for now....

Us Bears Pennsylvania

It's not bear hunting season.  Whoever it was that shot the bear was not a hunter.  He is a criminal.  Even the act of shooting at a bear out of season is a crime, let alone shooting a bear that is off limits to hunting during the open season.

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

This is Sarah, the one year old bear that was killed.  RIP, Baby Sarah.

Sarah_2.jpg  Sarah_first_research_bear_killed.jpg

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

I would love for the hunter to be found out and his name reported to the news media - let's see how happy he would be then!!!!  What a cowardly person to shoot a bear that was trusting of humans.  Us Bears, it is hunting season in Minnesota, where the research area is.  They have been talking about it all week, as how best to protect the research bears.  There is no way that the hunter didn't know about the research bears - they were radio collared and covered with bright ribbons.  This was most likely deliberate.  I am so angry - how is it that there are still humans like this!

enchantmentsart Feather Heart Creations
TX

bear_cry I just don't get why someone that would do that. It's like breaking into a zoo and killing one of the animals.

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

I actually wondered whether the idea of putting brightly coloured ribbons on the bears was a good idea- it makes them such an easy target.  I know it was to help identify the research bears but there is always some a***ole out there and this just proves it!!!

Plum Cottage Bears Plum Cottage Bears
Long Beach, CA

Plum Cottage Bears Cute Animal Ambassador

I have never been able to understand the so-called sport of hunting.  Sarah was just one year old.  What a senseless waste.

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA
Us Bears wrote:

It's not bear hunting season.  Whoever it was that shot the bear was not a hunter.  He is a criminal.  Even the act of shooting at a bear out of season is a crime, let alone shooting a bear that is off limits to hunting during the open season.

It is bear hunting season in Minnesota for the next 6 weeks.  This is going to be a very hard 6 weeks for me mentally.  I see from a previous FB post that someone actually has a camera set up on a trail just outside the bear centers boundaries.  Knowing full well the bears are going in and out of there.

My thoughts everyday are with Lynn and Sue.  We need to send them positive thought to help them deal with this difficult time.  We only know them from afar, to them it is very personal.

Us Bears Pennsylvania

Bear season doesn't start in Pennsylvania until the middle of November and it's over the first week in December.  I didn't think that every state's bear season was so late in the fall but I figured it would be at least October for most states.

Even if it was open season for bear, shooting a tagged bear is still considered poaching.  The guy is still a criminal.

I don't have any problems with hunting, provided you eat what you hunt.  But, frankly, I don't care for bear meat.  Neither do I find it palatable nor do I like the idea of shooting bear unless it is attacking a human.  Since most bears don't care to be close to humans, much less attack, I don't see defense as an issue in 99.9% of cases.

Bottom line, deer hunting, turkey and small game hunting are all right with me but I just don't see much use for hunting bear.

Even so, I don't hunt very much any more.  I just don't have time.  It's been so long I'm out of practice.

However...  funny story...
When I was in high school I hunted almost every deer season.  I'd go to camp with all the adults and I often got my deer on the first or second day.  After that I'd take my 35mm out to the woods and go camera hunting for the rest of the week.

I "shot" more deer with my camera than most of the other guys even got a look at.  :cool:

Here's the thing.  Some guys only go hunting once per year and it's more of a vacation in the woods than it is a hunting expedition.  I've known a lot of people who spend more time at camp playing cards than they do out hunting.

I'm sure you've heard about "buck fever."
Basically, you get so excited about hunting and your mind becomes so focused on "bagging that buck" that you don't notice details in your surroundings.

I'll bet you the Nimrod who shot that bear had "bear fever" and was so focused on getting his trophy that he didn't notice that it was tagged.

People like that don't belong in the woods with guns... regardless of whether you like hunting or not.

People who can't calm themselves down enough to hunt safely and obey the law are a HAZARD.

It only takes one idiot to make things more difficult for 1,000 other hunters who hunt safely and obey the law.   bear_angry

Northern MN.
Website

Hunters of Bears ARE NOT SPORTSMEN, they are opportunists....Do you know what they do?? I do, before the season starts they collect grease and scraps from restaurants and other places, WHICH WE REFUSE TO GIVE THEM A SINGLE LETTUCE LEAF... next they put out this food at dif. spots, get the bears coming there, then this  "host" as I will call him,  but I do have many other names for him, anyway, then he shows the "killers" where the bears are going to be, and then they shoot them, you would think with all that set up they would be able to leave the semi-tame ones alone, come-on how lame can they be??

TamiL Dolls N Dreams
Aurora, Colorado

How very sad and what a loss  bear_cry
I knew they would do it!
I hate all hunting, should be outlawed.
If they want to hunt something, let them hunt wanted fugitives  bear_angry  bear_angry  bear_angry

Us Bears Pennsylvania

Hunting over bait is illegal in Pennsylvania.

It is illegal to place bait in the field during the hunting season or at any time up to 30 days before hunting season starts.  It is illegal to hunt in an area that has been baited for 30 days even after the bait has been removed.

This includes salt licks, corn, sweet feed or anything else.  It's even illegal to pick apples from an apple tree, put them in another place and hunt over the area.

You can be cited and you can lose your hunting license  for up to five years if you shoot an animal over bait.  Even longer for a repeat offense.  You could even lose your license *forever*, pay a hefty fine and/or even do time in jail.

You don't even have to kill an animal.  Just shooting at it carries the same penalty as actually killing it.
Technically you don't even need to actually shoot the gun to be cited for poaching over bait.  Simply possessing a loaded gun is an offense if they can show, beyond reasonable doubt, that you knew the area was baited.  You don't even have to be the one who put the bait there.  Just knowing there is bait is enough.

In some circumstances, game wardens in Pennsylvania have more power than the state police.
If a Pennsylvania game warden finds a flashlight in your car while you also have a gun in the passenger compartment at night he can write you up for "spotlight hunting."  The gun doesn't even have to be loaded.  It only has to be accessible to the driver or passenger.

Pennsylvania takes its game laws seriously! 

Truth be told, I'm ambivalent about hunting.  I could take it or leave it.  Regardless, I have absolutely no tolerance for poaching!

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

I said this on Facebook and I'll say it here.... and see that I'm not alone in my way of thinking:

Trail cams and bait. That's not hunting. That's KILLING! I don't care if it's legal in some states, it's wrong. How can someone who sits in a tree in a lookout drinking beer all day until a bear just "happens" by for an easy shot, even with an arrow as most bear hunters in MN seem to be, be called a hunter? A word with "er" on the ends indicates someone DOING something. There is no sport in sittin' in a tree and there sure as heck is nothing to be proud of.

I hate hunting, period. Talk of population control and such is just an excuse. We as greedy humans are already controling the population of most wild animals by taking over their land and turning it into housing developments.

Now, if the BEAR had arrows and guns wouldn't that be something!?!

Us Bears Pennsylvania

Hunting while under the influence will get you locked up in any state.
Besides, if you can't see straight you can't shoot straight.

Ask Timothy Treadway if bears need to have guns.
One of the last things you ever want to do is peeve off a bear!  It WAS the last thing Treadway ever did!

doodlebears Doodlebears
UK

doodlebears Celebration Ambassador

OMG how wicked that man is, I hope he is named and shamed for murdering that sweet innocent little cub. May he have nightmares forever. I'm sorry, but this was such a cruel thing he has done. I have tears after reading this about little Sarah.  bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry  bear_cry

Hugs, Jane.  bear_sad  bear_sad  bear_sad  bear_sad  bear_sad  bear_sad  bear_sad

Karon Posts: 751

That is very sad.

I find it hard to understand people who find "fun" in killing things. 

Karon

Plum Cottage Bears Plum Cottage Bears
Long Beach, CA

Plum Cottage Bears Cute Animal Ambassador

I never understood the sport in hunting either.

puca bears puca bears

I logged in here hours ago.............but couldn't find the right words.............shocked, saddened, disgusted......devastated - you name it.
This really does appear to be an act of vindictive malice......and it does NO good to anyone. Even the "responsible" hunters are going to get caught in the back-lash.
While I absolutely abhor even the idea of "sport" hunting, I can't see a way out - banning hunting isn't going to stop those who think it's their right.......
Poor wee Sarah - she was one of the bears we "met".........a sweet little girl, who never deserved this. My heart goes out to Lynn & Sue.
And all of a sudden the sheer joy I felt at being privileged to see some of these wonderful creatures has all GONE.........
it's a very sad day

Northern MN.
Website
puca bears wrote:

I logged in here hours ago.............but couldn't find the right words.............shocked, saddened, disgusted......devastated - you name it.
This really does appear to be an act of vindictive malice......and it does NO good to anyone. Even the "responsible" hunters are going to get caught in the back-lash.
While I absolutely abhor even the idea of "sport" hunting, I can't see a way out - banning hunting isn't going to stop those who think it's their right.......
Poor wee Sarah - she was one of the bears we "met".........a sweet little girl, who never deserved this. My heart goes out to Lynn & Sue.
And all of a sudden the sheer joy I felt at being privileged to see some of these wonderful creatures has all GONE.........
it's a very sad day

I just knew this was going to hurt you Sweetie, meeting you last week was so wonderful and knowing the great experience ahead for you made me smile, now this, as I said before, it makes me embarrassed to be from this state.  Bear or for that matter any hunting is bad, but of all the bears could not the government spare those few that are radio-collared, and or young,  in my opinion semi-tame? Must be time for a lot of people to write to our lawmakers!!!  Hugs and hope for a peaceful day for all, including the innocent bears! Susan.

puca bears puca bears

Hi Susan
I think Dr. Lynn is against legislation to protect the collared bears as he feels it would/might antagonise the hunters..........in general they seem to be right with him - last year NONE of the research bears were hurt.  This really does seem to be a spiteful act by some misguided person......the sort that likes to spoil things for everyone else. And lets face it - Lily, Hope and their ever-growing army of fans have been much in the news.
BTW - meant to say earlier - I can't imagine you get ANY scraps left at the Lemon Wolf Cafe - that was a truly memorable lunch you treated us to!
big hugs
Maria

lovenshire Love and Cuddle Nursery
Missouri
Website

bear_sad  I can only hope that someone turns in this creep...Sara was such a sweet gentle bear.  He probably wants to hang her head on his wall and talk about what a great hunter he is!  This just makes me ill...I feel so bad for the ones working there!

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

How very sad. It breaks my heart.  bear_sad  bear_sad  bear_sad  Poor Sarah. Bless her little heart. :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

Pages:

Board footer