Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

Hello Teddy Bear Friends: Can anybody tell me their technique to insert tufts of long fur in the head of a bear? I just want a small tuft on each side of the ear. Any tips?

Lovethosebears Yorkshire

I've been wondering about this as I brought a peice of Tibetan fur just for this, but the backing is so thick.  Not sure whether I cut into the gusset or attach it on top.  Hopefully someone will enlighten us please.

Tammy Beckoning Bears
Nova Scotia
Website

I have been wanting to try this too and I was thinking of rooting it in with felting needles like they do with reborn dolls.  I guess it depends how much of a tuft you want.

EvaJ EJ's Crafts
Fort Mohave, Arizona

The way I do it is just put the tuff in a seam.  If I want some on the top of the head, I have a seam in the gusset that runs between the ears.  On the ear ones I add the longer fur on one corner of the ear seam.  I don't know if this helps in what you want to do.

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

IMG_4546_edited-1-300x225.jpgIMG_4543_edited-1-300x225.jpgIf you want it into the ears I can't help you.  But on the top of the head I root it in with felting needles.  Bend the hair in half, and use the bend to root into the fabric.  It will lock with the stuffing.   Make sense?
If using a piece of mohair I pull threads until the mohair tufts are released from the fabric.  I use the bend of the mohair (you will see it) to root into the fabric.

Joanne

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website
Joanne wrote:

If using a piece of mohair I pull threads until the mohair tufts are released from the fabric.  I use the bend of the mohair (you will see it) to root into the fabric.

Thank you for this, Joanne!  :hug:  I was using trimmed fibers when I made Matteo's eyebrows. Your method looks far more sensible.

Becky

Bloomsburg, PA

IMG_4616_edited-1-300x225.jpg

dangerbears wrote:
Joanne wrote:

Thank you for this, Joanne!  :hug:  I was using trimmed fibers when I made Matteo's eyebrows. Your method looks far more sensible.

Becky

Trimmed fibers take a very long time to root.  No wonder you said it took a long time.  If you root over the fold it only takes a few needle stabs.  I use a fine needle.

Here is a picture of rooted mohair locks.  They were long loose locks.  I folded them in half and rooted them to the top of his head.

Joanne: Thank you so much for the tip.   :hug:  I would never have thought of that. So tell me this, the picture above, when you pull the thread, the mohair tufts are naturally folded in half. Correct? If so, you just take a felting needle and kind of poke it in to lock with the stuffing in the head. Is that how it’s done? Oh one more thing, what size felting needle do you use to root the tufts?

Bloomsburg, PA

Yes that is how it is done.  I use a size 40 needle which is fine. 

Joanne

eteddys eTeddys
Phoenix, AZ
Website

Gosh, I'm a bit late in answering this post.  I have hand tufted mohair on bears before.  I do not use a felting needle.  For my technique, you need to use long mohair locks.  I simply separate a small strand of the mohair, thread it into a needle with a large eye and weave it in and out of the mohair backing.  You leave the ends long, then trim when you have finished tufting.  I'm sure I'm being clear as mud here but it is simple enough to do, just extremely time consuming.  I hand tuft whiskers in bunnies and kitties using the same method. 

~ Alison

ScaliWagGrrs ScaliWagGrrs
Denver, Colorado
Website

Oh what wonderful tips! 
Alison that is brilliant! I am working on making myself a memorial Leonberger dog of my dog Sienna that I lost to bone cancer in May. Before she was gone I cut big locks of her fur with the intent on using it in the dog I intended on making. I had nearly given up on the idea as I couldn't figure out how to attach the real hair into the mohair. You have just made my day!!!! Your tip of weaving the hair in should work perfectly. Yes it will be time consuming but this is a real labor of love so it will be well worth the time it takes. Thank you!!!
Beth

Dear Alison: Thank  you for that tip. Now the question is, where do you get the long locks of mohair. Do you seperate it out like Joanne mentioned or is there bulk of strands for sale somewhere?

Bloomsburg, PA

I buy long mohair lock on ebay.  Just look for mohair locks.  They are expensive.  I wash mine myself to save money.  But I am experienced at washing wool.

Joanne

Board footer