Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

Teddy Tales My Teddy Tales
Massachusetts

I have been trying to decide if I should sell  pattern kits of one of my Elephants, I need feed back to see if this would be a good idea or not.

And another thing, Some of you might remember a 30 inch bear I made for a custom order, well it fell thru, I've been waiting on payment for 3 months and received nothing, my big mistake was not getting a deposit ( won't make that mistake again! ) The customer keeps saying she wants the bear, and at one point emailed me and said she mailed a check, well that was 1 month ago!.   I'm thinking on listing the bear on ebay, I don't normally make big bears, this was something for a new order. I'm not sure this will sell, I'm known for my ellie's not my bears. Should I give it a try or not?  The bear is shown here on showcase.

Bear hugs,
Louise

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Hi Louise,
First I'm sorry about your order bear_sad  I would probably send one last email giving her a deadline as to when the bear would be listed on eBay.  Maybe you could encourage her to make payments?  He's adorable!!

As for selling your pattern - in my opinion if you are still selling your ellies using that pattern, I would not sell the pattern.  I might,  however, design a new ellie pattern and sell THAT one.

TamiL Dolls N Dreams
Aurora, Colorado

I agree, make up another pattern for a elephant and sell those  bear_thumb

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

I agree with Laura too.

Massachusetts

Sounds good ladies! That's what I'll do, make a different pattern and sell that one, I was unsure about selling the pattern I use now, thanks again!

I did tell her to make payments about two months ago, that's the payment I'm waiting for lol. I think I'm just gonna list it, I also sent her an email days ago.

Bear Hugs,

Louise

Jaina Emo Bears
Dudley, West Mids

Sorry to hear about your problems.
I would send an email saying that the bear will be on sale from tomorrow and tell her where if she wants to buy.

I have made a couple of commissions now and I won't do it unless they pay the cost of their chosen materials (non refundable). So at least that way, I'm not out of pocket for making it (I appreciate this may be different for those who make their living out of it - for me, it's a hobby and my time I don't mind donating).

Good luck with your pattern!

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

I require payment in full at time order is placed. Unless the bear is over $200 then I require a 50% deposit. Until I get paid the order doesn't get put on my prodution schedule. I haven't had any problems doing it that way.
bear_original

Us Bears Pennsylvania

Lay it on thick!

Send the buyer a message saying, "This poor Teddy Bear has been waiting to find a new home for three months.  He wants to come live with you so badly.  He's beginning to feel lonely and forsaken.  Won't you please send the money for his ticket home?  He would be so happy if you did!  Otherwise, he's going to look for a new home with somebody who will love him and take care of him."

If that doesn't work, nothing will...    ;)

Anyway, you have the perfect right to cut this buyer off and find a new home for your Bear any time you see fit.  The original buyer had his chance and you gave him every opportunity to come through with the cash.  He missed his chance.  Too bad!  So sad!  I wish I had the money for his bus ticket.  I'd love to have a 30" Bear come live with me!  I bet there are lots of others who would, too.

About your sewing pattern for the elephant...
I think that would be a neat idea!  :)
However, you might want to make something that's distinctive so nobody else can copy you without being obvious.

Do you remember the original G.I. Joe action figures?  The 12" inch ones they made back in the 1960's and 1970's?
If you remember, you'll know he had a scar on his face but did you know that his left thumb was backwards, too?  Yes, the thumbnail is on the wrong side.

Those two "defects" were designed into the molds on purpose.  If somebody tried to copy the doll and sell it under a new name, the people who did it could be sued for copyright infringement.  The "distinctive markings" would make it easy to tell.

I don't know what you can do with an "Ellie" but, maybe, you could make the ears a distinctive shape or something like that.  That way, if somebody tries to copy off your design and sell it as their own you'll have a "tell" that lets you know it's yours.

Tricky but effective!   bear_whistle

Massachusetts

@ US Bears, thanks for the idea, there actually is something already that I have that is distinctive on my Ellie. I never noticed the thumb being backwards! LOL

I have tried everything with the 30" bear, I told her he was packed in a box waiting to be shipped to his new home, still nothing. It's my fault also for not taking a deposit, I was so excited that I forgot about it till it was too late, Live and learn.
I will be listing him today on Ebay! I hope he finds a new home, i don't really have room for him : (

Bear Hugs,
louise

Little Bear Guy Little Bear Guy
Waterloo, Ontario

I agree with everyone else, do up a different pattern to sell I wouldn't sell the pattern you are currently using.

As for the big bear, tough nuts to the person who ordered it. I think you have done more than enough and given them enough time to come up with the money. I would put it on ebay or on your website, I would mention that it's a rare item as you rarely do bears and it's even more rare due to the size.

Best of luck

Shane

Us Bears Pennsylvania
Teddy Tales wrote:

It's my fault also for not taking a deposit, I was so excited that I forgot about it till it was too late, Live and learn.

Oh, no!  It's not your fault.  It is they who took advantage of YOU!
You're not the one who is in the wrong.  They are.

Just remember the old saying:  "Cheat me once, shame on you!  Cheat me twice, shame on me!"  ;)

BTW:  I just saw Andrew's picture on eBay.  He's a wonderful Bear!  I just wish he could come live with me!
I hope he finds a good home!

He's worth $250 if he's worth a penny!

Jo W Posts: 22
Website

I agree with the others here-definitely market a new pattern, so that Ellie is safely 'yours'! There is so much copyright infringement (theft!!) on the internet,  and from it, that unfortunately we have to be more careful that we should have to be! (For me, it is outright copying of my blogs, which are my little 'babies'! lol). Best of luck with your kits/patterns-I'm sure they will be very successful!
With your big teddy, we've all made mistakes, and learn from them. I think the woman who ordered him DID intend to pay, but finances fell through for her. Not good for YOU though! I hope you make a nice profit on him through ebay instead!  bear_original

lapousmor Sophie Z'Ours
Sarthe, France

Dear Louise,

I think that is a brilliant idea to sell an elephant pattern. yours are so cute! Now, I think the same as the others : better not be a pattern you still use.

I really hope andrew will soon find a loving home.

Beary hugs,
Sophie.

susiray Bear-Hands
Algarve, Portugal

Hi Louise

hope you are well.... sorry to hear about your commission, obviously not meant to be with that lady and the big bear is waiting for a new home via ebay buyer.

why not sell an ellie pattern all extra cash is you are not using the pattern anymore.

goodluck with everything
hugs Susan x

Board footer