Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

emmastephens Emma Stephens Crafty Creations
Gloucestershire

Hi all,

I'm trying to make a doll sized barrel that has felt apples "bobbing" in it. I was wondering whether anyone could suggest some sort of glue or liquid that would solidify clear (to look like water) which i could submerge felt apples in partially so it looks like they're bobbing in water, as it were.

Gosh I hope that made sense!  bear_wacko

Emma
xxx

rowarrior The Littlest Thistle
Glasgow

Have you tried crystal lacquer?  I think that would do what you were after

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I got ya, Emma.  There is such a product and I usually find it at scrapbook supply stores.  Two brands that I can think of are Judikins Diamond Glaze and Aleene's Paper Glaze.  Also, floral supply stores have what they refer to as simulated water, or craft water.  It is the clear, hard substance that looks like water in floral arrangements.
You probably can find a ton of these products by doing a search on Google. 
good luck.

huggleybear C.W. Huggley Bears
Statham, GA

I know what you are talking about SueAnn. I found it at Walmart and Michaels about a year ago but was much cheaper at Walmart.  It was easy to use and looked great when it hardened.  I think it was about $10-12.  Good Luck, Emma.

Jaina Emo Bears
Dudley, West Mids

I think Hobbycraft had some last time I went with the model railway supplies - it was for creating fake water on railway scenery -

Found some....

http://www.toysperiod.com/woodland-scen … rrency=GBP

bear_original

emmastephens Emma Stephens Crafty Creations
Gloucestershire

Thanks everyone for the great answers!
I can't wait to buy some :)

Emma
xxx

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

This is the same thing that my DH and I have been researching for several years - off & on. The problems inherent in Emma & my work is that the wool fiber holds air (bubbles) trapped within the surface and deeper within the object and it's a matter of evacuating these to make the object (in my case - a bear or a seal, etc...) look totally natural under'water'.

We recently bought several products at Dick Blick's which they recommended from all of their different products available after explaining what we planned on doing, but haven't yet tried them, as the pressure of 2 shows and 2 workshops are looming too quickly. But after we get back home early in Dec I intend to try them out and I'll report back then, Sorry Emma that I wont have an answer before then. Yes, I have used liquids pourable products from a railroad/modeling shop to make birdbaths - that should work and I've even colored it, but I've never sunk a fibrous object into it...yet.

Don makes wood boxes and he poured a 1/2" layer into the top of one to cover red maple leaves. Those were fine but they had no air spaces around them as they're solid objects.

Board footer