Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

emmastephens Emma Stephens Crafty Creations
Gloucestershire

This is probably a really daft question, but I was looking through a competition category and saw one for a character bear.
Is it a bear with a character? - eg. a dressmaking mouse, or is it an actual existing character - eg. winnie the pooh?

Emma
xxx

Jaina Emo Bears
Dudley, West Mids

I think a character bear is a more modern, quirky one in terms of competition; not a traditional bear but something different. Not sure though...

Fallenrose near Cologne

I'm not sure but I think character bears are bears with a special extra..something like..attitude?
For example, the bear discussed in the ebearz course "Toots" (by Ted Menten) is a character bear, I believe.
You can take a look at him here: http://www.kranbearys.com/Ebearz/Bears/Toots.htm

Hugs, ariane

rowarrior The Littlest Thistle
Glasgow

What is the context of where you're reading this Emma?  That is, what are the other categories?  It might be easier to deduce from that

peterbear Boechout, Antwerp

Hi Emma,

It seems to me that the term "character bear" is very confusing at least, so I think your question isn't daft at all.

The only reasonable explanation I can come up with, is that they mean that the bear represents an existing "character" (meaning person, animal, ...): for instance the German manufacturer Hermann Spielwaren has a whole range of character bears : composers, writers, even the pope; other characters could originate from cartoons or books, like Yogi bear or Winnie-the-Pooh, ...

If this is not what they mean with the term "character bears", it would imply that all the bears in the other categories haven't got character !   bear_angry   Now who would be so stupid to claim that ! bear_wacko

Hugs,  :hug:

Peter & the bears

Gloucestershire

I didn't realise I'd stumbled on such an ambiguous topic!
I saw it in the categories of a competition that had a banner on here that I saw last week, though it seems to have disappeared - which is helpful bear_tongue I've a feeling it was something like BBA or something beginning with a B, but I could be completely wrong.
Can competition/award entry criteria for bears often be vague like this?

Emma
xxx

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

BBA = British Bear Awards?

Little Bear Guy Little Bear Guy
Waterloo, Ontario

I think a character bear usually means one that is not of a traditional style.  People tend to call our bears character bears as they are quirky and not traditional at all. But it also could represent a certain character I guess.

hugs

Dawn J Hugs Unlimited
West Yorkshire
Website

Hi
Definitely not the British Bear Artist Awards - there is no banner here, they are the BBAAs and don't have 'character bear' as a a category.

However, just to put my slant on it, I would say that a 'character bear' is one that is playing a role - that could be a fantasy role, imitating a human, or it could be the bear being a character. In terms of my bears, I do a range of 'Showbears' which are based on characters in musicals. I consider these to be character bears, but the bears themselves are very traditional

Hugs

Dawn

lisaastrup Astrup Bears
Slangerup- Copenhagen

To me a character bear is maybe like: little red riding hood, Alice in wonderland, Einstien, Nils Bohr,
HC Andersen, something like that - a well known figure.    bear_original

Gloucestershire

I really wish I'd bookmarked the website now.
I think it might have had British in the title, but I know it wasn't the British Bear Artist Awards because I remember thinking the one I saw the category sounded similar.
Gosh my memory is terrible  bear_rolleyes

A lot of replies are similar to what I initially thought a character bear was, though it does seems difficult to actually conclusively define bear_wacko
Maybe we should invent a definition that we all agree on to use on here when refering to those types of bears, if one doesn't already exist?

Emma
xxx

Gail P Walnut Tree Corner Bears By Gail
Suffolk

Hi Emma,
I remembered something about a character bear being mentioned along with other unusual sorts of categories which were quite specific. I think the competition you are talking about is the National Teddy Bear Awards, run by Brewins Bruins. I think they had the first one this year at a show in the new Forest?

Gloucestershire
Gail P wrote:

Hi Emma,
I remembered something about a character bear being mentioned along with other unusual sorts of categories which were quite specific. I think the competition you are talking about is the National Teddy Bear Awards, run by Brewins Bruins. I think they had the first one this year at a show in the new Forest?

Yes that's it!
And the categories were outlined like;
"Hi, I'm a small bear and I love acting etc"
Thanks Gail bear_thumb

Emma
xxx

steeple Posts: 1

Hi Emma and other Teddy Talkers.

Regarding character bears. It can be said that all bears have “character† just as all houses have a “character† but some have more character than others. You ask an Estate Agent!

A character bear is one that may be a well known character from a play or TV series. However I am sure we all know “characters† locally. They may dress differently or act differently and therefore, become recognised for their particular style. In the next National Teddy Bear Artists Awards there is a class for a character based on “The Wind in the Willows†. The population of The Wind in the Willows was all animals but nevertheless “characters† – so they do not have to be human. The word anthropomorphic comes to mind in this example.

The Class in the next National Awards I think is innovative and inspiring. Will the teddy bear artists use their flair to create a bear in the “character† of Mr Toad or Badger? I can’t wait to see what this Class produces. Some have said that the term is vague but I think it is more a case of giving Artists free rein to exercise their creative skills.

The National Teddy Bear Artists Awards have definitely raised the standard in our competitions. They have left the old “ Bear 10 inches high dressed† class behind and are showing much more imagination and hopefully that will inspire Artists. The Competition at National level is very high and will get even higher. Many people are cutting, sewing and generally making bears to perfection. This will result in everyone in a tie for First Prize if the competitions are reduced to a sewing skills basis. The operative word is “Artist† and that is what will finally decide winners. Artists become famous by creating “characters†. You may go to see “The Mona Lisa† or “The Laughing Cavalier† but probably not “Mrs Jones Next Door†. (My apologies Mrs Jones).

Board footer