Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

shiniker Little Leaf Bears by Shanna
Loveland

I'm trying to put a tail on my mouse and can't seem to figure out how to make her a long skinny tail out of mohair.  I machine stitched the size I wanted and have been unsuccessful at turning the piece right side out.  Any suggestions?

Thanks
Shanna

kezjoy KezjoyKritterz
Gippsland Victoria

hi there.  depends how fat it is and how slippery the fabric is..heres a few techniques ive used in the past.
Sometimes i will stitch a piece of strong thread to the very end of the tail then using a large needle pull the tail through itself holding the string.
I have also pushed the tail through with a knitting needle..though sometimes it goes through the end. you could also try using a stuffing stick to push it inside out or if its a mini you could use forceps
when ive needed to do a really skinny tail, i only stitch the fatter end with a few stitches (usuallu 3 or 4 just to hold the seams where i want them). turn the tail through and then stitch the rest from the outside with a ladder stitch.
hope that helps!!
Kerrilyn

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

Kerrilyn: I too wondered how that would work. Thanks for the tips!  bear_thumb

EvaJ EJ's Crafts
Fort Mohave, Arizona

I use different size dowels for turning.  I bought a package at WalMart of all the different sizes from skinny to thick and they work for me.  I have sanded some of them to a dull point on one end to help get to the tip of skinny tails without going through the end..

Loveland

Great ideas thanks everyone!

Shanna

JanetB Posts: 112

I did a mouse recently  and sewed the tail on the outside with ladder stitch. I tucked the edges is as I went. If you are using furry fabric, you will not see a seam.

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

Doll making tools are really useful for this problem!  Try:  http://clothdollsupply.com/tools.html

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

I don't bother to machine tails and turn them...it's the only thing I don't machine..I just cut the tail out the length you want then roll it up ladder stitch the edges together right side out ...you can even whip stitch a wire in place before you sew it up . I think you can make a thinner tail that way too...more realistic.

Loveland

Thanks so much.  I will ladder stitch her a tail soon.  I think I am going to wire it, it would be cuter that way.  I appreciate all your tips!

Shanna

EvaJ EJ's Crafts
Fort Mohave, Arizona

You might try machine sewing then whip stitch the wire in the end of the tail and use that wire for turning.  Just a thought.  I wire all the tails in my dogs and mice.

K Pawz Guest

I use brass rod tubing for armtures to turn long skinny pieces. One piece is hollow that goes on the inside of the unturned piece right up to the end, and the other rod is solid and smaller that fits into the hollow rod, this goes on the outside, and then I push the very tip of the skinny piece with the solid brass rod into the end of the hollow brass rod and voila, instant turning tools. work like a charm, I was able to turn my rats tail using this method, and some long skinny fingers on a monkey a while back.

hugs,
Krista

Board footer