Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

Bonnie Mountain Dreamer Bears
wooly woods of Missouri, USA

Does anyone know good on line source for colored poster board or something similar? I've been looking for some to use for photo backgrounds and the only colored sheets I can find are very bright colors... not what I had in mind. I've tried googling without much luck. Any help would be appreciated!
Thanks,

Cleathero Creations Cleathero Creations
Ripley, Queensland

www.waterlilygraphics.com

is a good starting point.  i am pretty sure she has links on her site to other places.  She mainly has flower backgrounds but her links may lead you elsewhere.

Thanks, Bronwen!
I will check it out.

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

Bonnie... I sometimes use watercolor paper from the art supply store... it does come in a lot of lovely hushed tones rather than the florescent posterboard stuff you often find a drug stores.  Water color paper is sold in fairly large sheets, but is flimsier than good old posterboard.  Though, I would imagine that a decent art supply store would also have posterboard in better colors.  Are you looking to buy on lline, or in a shop?

Beary truly yours,
Kim Basta
Wild Thyme Originals

Cleathero Creations Cleathero Creations
Ripley, Queensland

Oh dear I think I misunderstood the question *sigh*... oh well its a handy link to have.

Shari Nova Scotia,Canada

I'm wondering if a nice soft wall paper from the discount bin would work  bear_happy  You could even glue it to poster board or something sturdy to give it more firmness.I know I have seen some beautiful,soft wallpapers that would look lovely and the have a mat finish which wouldn't mess with your lights.Just a thought,I haven't tried it myself yet but I might  bear_grin

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

That's a really good tip Shari. I'll have to remember that.

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

I agree, Heather.  What a great idea, Shari!  I'll have to hunt down a wallpaper store locally; not sure where one might be... ?

Shari Nova Scotia,Canada

Sometimes you can get wallpaper on sale at your local department stores like Walmart and your Home Improvement stores would carry it also.Even if you bought a whole roll that's not on sale it may still be cheaper than the speciality "photographic backgrounds" I'm glad that Bonnie asked this question as I hadn't thought about it before either but it certianly seems to make sense and be worth a try  bear_grin
Well,off to brush up on my french for school tomorrow,I have a two day assignment doing Grade 4-5 french  bear_tongue   bear_wacko

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

Neat idea...and you could use the lefovers to cover some boxs for your sewing area....Winney

kathytaylor Ruby Mountain Bears
Northern Nevada, USA

You might try a picture framing shop. The one we have here has tons of poster board and matting in solid sheets and colors that I didn't know existed.
the matting boards are up to 16x 20, they can be pricey though like $20 for the one sheet. But they have a nice texture.
Hugs, Kathy
P.s art stores like dick blick which you can get to on line www.dickblick.com usually carries that stuff too!

LynBlair Posts: 139

I'll have to hunt down a wallpaper store locally

If there's nothing locally, there are plenty of places online.  They also have great selections at home stores like Home Depot and Lowe's......I think Sherwin Williams stores carry wallpaper as well.

Hugs,
Lyn

clare14 Country Bears
England

I bought a whole load of mounting board, which I'm pretty sure is the same as poster board, just what we Brits call it!!   I picked it up at my local art shop.

bear_original

Stephanie Sassy Bears & Fabrics
Aurora, Colorado

I just bought dozens of sheets of paper from the Scrapbooking section of my local craft shop. There was hand-made paper, watercolors, scenic designs, etc. I don't need huge pieces for mins. I just clip them to my 'backdrop' (a piece of heavy cardboard) and viola! interchangable backgrounds just like the real photo studios!

kathytaylor Ruby Mountain Bears
Northern Nevada, USA
Stephanie wrote:

I just bought dozens of sheets of paper from the Scrapbooking section of my local craft shop. There was hand-made paper, watercolors, scenic designs, etc. I don't need huge pieces for mins. I just clip them to my 'backdrop' (a piece of heavy cardboard) and viola! interchangable backgrounds just like the real photo studios!

that is a great idea I never thought of that, and I have tons of scrapbooking paper. I love the ones from africa of the Handmade papers, I bet they would make great back grounds , two sheets one back and one bottom and ta da!
Great Idea , thanks.
Hugs, Kathy

What excellent ideas everyone! So many options I never thought of. Thanks!!  bear_flower
Shari, I will be keeping my eye out for wallpaper on sale, super idea. bear_thumb
Watercolor paper! Why didn't I think of that, Kim? :doh:  It reminds me that pastel paper also comes in lots of lovely soft shades and large sizes.
You all got me thinking beyond just paper and it occurred to me that I could also glue fabric to a sheet of posterboard to make a nice wrinkle-free background too. Now I just need something to photograph! lol  bear_rolleyes  I'm slow but I'm working on it!

:hug: beary hugs,

Estelle Estelles canal bears and Tod Teddies
Todmorden West Yorkshire

if all else fails you can buy tester pots of emulsion paint from a DIY store and mix a colour you like and paint it.  bear_original

Deb Upstate New York
Shari wrote:

I'm wondering if a nice soft wall paper from the discount bin would work  bear_happy  You could even glue it to poster board or something sturdy to give it more firmness.I know I have seen some beautiful,soft wallpapers that would look lovely and the have a mat finish which wouldn't mess with your lights.Just a thought,I haven't tried it myself yet but I might  :lol:

It does work!  That is, wallpaper adheres beautifully to that 1/4" poster board you can get at WalMart.  Haven't used for photographing bears, but for another craft.

Also, could easily do a rag roll faux paint on that board.  Probably rag-off.  Or colorwash.  Gosh ... now I need to repaint the family room.

Mo Beary Mo Bear Designs
Redcliff, Alberta, Canada
Website

I painted a background in a faux finish for my daughters wedding.  I bought a painters drop cloth 20' x 14' and laid it out and painted it!!!  Then I put gromets on the top and hung it like a shower curtain.

It worked great.  This is the background that is in most of my pics.  I cut a piece off of it to use.

Jane

Board footer