Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

Amy Lilley Posts: 32

Hello everyone, I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas!
I have been making miniatures lately and I love doing it! I want to make a little unicorn but am unsure of how to do the mane. I'd like a similar effect to the one this lady has achieved on her unicorn:

http://www.tubbyteddies.com/Tubby_Teddi … ery.html#7

can anyone help?? Also, I've seen little bears that are very firmly stuffed, but the polyester stuffing I use doesn't seem to make my bears 'firm' enough. Do I need to stuff more or am I using the wrong stuffing?
I look forward to hearing from you :-)
Amy xxx

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Amy, you might like to try string mohair . . . it comes in different lengths so you can get whatever look you want.  White can be dyed to match.

Thanks so much Sue :-)
I have used mohair before, but generally use sassy longpile bear fabric for the smaller bears, could I use a combination if the two? What about stuffing techniques/materials?
Thank you so much for taking the time to help me :-) xxx

Lyn Parker Bears

Amy I also make miniatures and am a firm filler. I have recently come across a great new stuffing that fills very firmly it's made from corn fibre which also makes it eco friendly. You can find out about it at www.innergreen.com.au    Hope this helps.
Lyn

Thanks Lyn, it looks fab! I'm in the uk though so will have to look for a supplier here (it gets terribly expensive otherwise). Do you know if it is available here or of any other firm filler that I can use for miniatures? :-) xx

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Amy Lilley wrote:

Thanks so much Sue :-)
I have used mohair before, but generally use sassy longpile bear fabric for the smaller bears, could I use a combination if the two? What about stuffing techniques/materials?
Thank you so much for taking the time to help me :-) xxx

You may definitely use the two fabrics together.  Also, in our library right above your first post, there is a topic called "Stuffing/Fillings" that might help with your other question.

Thank you, I will have a read :-)

Cheshire Cat Wilmslow Cheshire

Hi Amy ,
You could use fine wool or even embroidery thread for the mane depending on the size of your mini unicorn ,you can get threads with glittery bits in them which would look pretty .

Cheshire Cat wrote:

Hi Amy ,
You could use fine wool or even embroidery thread for the mane depending on the size of your mini unicorn ,you can get threads with glittery bits in them which would look pretty .

What a great idea! Do you know how I can make wool into a mane? Would I sew it/glue it/ etc?
The glitter would look really pretty!
:-)

Cheshire Cat Wilmslow Cheshire

Hi Amy ,
You would need to tie little bundles of yarn  in the midddle and then sew these on where you have tied them to where the mane would go ,you could trim to the right length afterwards .
:)
Louise

Thanks so much Louise, I like that idea :-) I've got some furry trim and I'm going to give that a go too. I look forward to trying out these techniques :-) xx

Geralye Belper, Derbyshire

Rather than tying separate bundles then sewing them on, you can wrap the wool along a piece of card, then sew one edge (of the wool, not the card) down in position, then slide the card out.  You can then cut the loops and trim as necessary.

Not sure I've explained it that well.

cheers,
G

Board footer