Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

shiniker Little Leaf Bears by Shanna
Loveland

I have a couple questions that I should probably know the answer to but don't so here it is.  I try to make sure my hands are always washed and clean before I work on, or cuddle my mohair/aplaca bears, but it is winter right now and my hands do get dry.  My question is, has anyone had experience with hand oils affecting the mohair/alpaca fabric of a bear after more extensive handling?   

Second question, I frequently brush up the mohair and alpaca on my bears (more extensively on bears in my own personal collection than those that I make), I always check the brush to make sure I'm not brushing too hard and pulling out any of the mohair from the backing, aside from that, can extensive gentle brushing be damaging to the fur?  I wasn't sure if it can affect the ends of the strands of mohair/alpaca as it can with human hair, or if that damage is mostly related to heat and UV.

Thanks so much everyone!

Shanna

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

With mohair or any pure wool, natural oils come with the territory since the animals produce lanolin. I wouldn't worry about the effects of a little hand lotion, especially if it's made from natural ingredients and it's had time to absorb into your skin.

With alpaca, I haven't got a clue. It seems a more delicate fiber than mohair to me, and I might worry that oils would cause matting (or loss of fluffiness).

My two cents.  bear_original

Becky

Loveland

Thanks Becky, does anyone know about the brushing.  I just got an alpaca bear and his fur is so soft, but I love to brush it to make it fluffy.  Nothing comes out, but again, not sure if he can get the bear equivalent of split ends?

Shanna

Geralye Belper, Derbyshire

I find a baby hair brush is ideal for brushing my bear collection.  It's gentle, but removes any dust and the bears appreciate it.  I haven't noticed it pulling any fur out, although I don't have any alpaca bears to try it on.

Also, when making bears, I find a pet brush brilliant.  It isn't as brutal as a teasel brush, but grooms nicely.

cheers,
G

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

I'm not sure anyone is going to have been brushing a collectible mohair or alpaca bear THAT much to reach the point of split ends.  ;)
I'd suggest just brushing with care. Both mohair and alpaca fibers are natural fibers similar to human hair... thus I imagine they could develop split ends like human hair. I think you'd need to do quite a bit of brushing though. Normal brushing alone won't typically cause split ends. Back brushing (brushing against the natural direction of the fur/fiber) will cause more stress on the hair cuticle which can result in split ends. The mohair and alpaca fibers we use have already been through a lot of wear and tear in the milling process and still arrive on our door step without split ends.

One of the causes of split ends is dryness... so NATURAL oils from your hands are perfectly safe and, to a certain level, helpful for the fur. I'd be careful about a lot of hand creams and contact with the bears as it can build up on the fur and collect dust particles making for a dirt bear.

Loveland

Thanks everyone!  Daphne, thanks so much, your answer to my question was enormously helpful.  I am very careful, of course, but think my memory is faulty.  I always look at a bear and think, is this what he looked like when he was new?  I can never remember and so worry that I'm over grooming or something.  I am unaware of the milling process for these fabrics.  As an bear maker, you would think all this information should be something I should know and I'm embarrassed that I didn't.  Thanks again everyone, you've put my mind at rest.

Shanna

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Shanna, here is information on how mohair and alpaca "fabric" for bear making is made: http://www.reinhardschulte.de/en/images/flyer.pdf
It is provided by the manufacturers of Schulte mohair (owned by Steiff) but will give you a good idea of how all the natural fur fabric we use is made regardless of what mill it comes from. It's quite interesting.
bear_original

Loveland

Great link, thanks Daphne.

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

As a Cosmetologist (Hairdresser) since 1960 I can tell you this - NEVER BRUSH your hair or any hair when it's wet, Use only a wide-toothed comb and if it's tangled or snarled, work as gently as you can from the ends up toward the scalp or base.
Nothing will split the ends or strand faster than to have it being pulled in different directions while it's wet and stretchy! Only removing the split (cutting it off) will keep it from continuing up the strand once it's begun.

I have one DIL with waist-length hair: no amount of reasoning with her will convince her to stop flipping her (highlighted blonde) hair to the front from side to side, back and forth, over both shoulders after shampooing and attacking it with her (metal-tined) brush, in the middle of the strands to remove the snarls, because "that's the best way to get out her snarls and she's been doing it that way for over 50 years and it hasn't hurt it yet!"
But in the next breath she'll say how bad a condition her hair is in and what new conditioner would I recommend she try for her split ends?? She's the quintessential 'Blonde'.....

Now most mohair and alpaca will never be gotten as wet as it is in the processing plant. We toured Schulte, at least the first floor - and seen the huge wet piles of balled up rolls of fiber, after weaving but prior to dyeing and finishing. Nothing that we do is EVER going to be as brutal as they do in the manufacturing, with heat/steam/pressure/etc.
But we do apply steam to redirect the nap sometimes, and dampness to clean the pile.

So I would recommend getting a metal comb from a pet supply shop (check that the teeth tips are all nicely rounded and not sharp or jagged) and when any moisture is ever applied to your fabric lengths or teddies, use only the comb on the fibers.

Cool/cold water shouldn't have too much impact on the specialty finishes, but any amount of warmth (warm or hot water or a steamer or steam iron) may lose the effect of all of the swirly loveliness in those expensive fabrics!
You're better off beginning with cool water in a wrung-out cloth or sponge and a wide-toothed as your first choice to touch your fabric or teddy.

Board footer