Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

Zagzagael Posts: 43

Hello ~!

Brand new to bear making and I realize that once I really jump into this AMAZING craft....all of my questions will be made clear. However, for someone just starting out and having to order everything sight-unseen on-line....I really have found myself stumped.

It would be WONDERFUL if reputable sites that sell patterns and materials would also list the "materials list" for individual patterns so that a shopper could purchase what is necessary. I hate waiting!  bear_tongue  But I'm not finding any sites like that....so, do I just order the pattern and once it has arrived, log back in and order the materials???

Specifically, I'm struggling with:

joint sizes
eye sizes
mohair pile sizes

Uh, that's just about every aspect of the bear, isn't it?  bear_laugh

Are there "general guidelines" to certain sized critters? Say, a 7" bear takes X size joints and X size eyes and probably would work best with X pile????

Help!

Lovethosebears Yorkshire

Hi, I agree it would help if they could list all the items needed.  However, when I first started out, I would email the supplier, tell them which pattern I liked and asked them about the materials etc needed.  Nearly everyone I have used for supplies have been very approachable and helpful.  Not sure about 'general guidelines' on sizes - it is a personal choice (I like large eyes and long pile fur on any size bear  bear_grin )

Have fun creating!

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Zag, Teddy Talk offers a free pattern that lists all the materials needed . . . all you need to do is download it.  All materials are available from our sponsor, Intercal, and they even have kits made up for you - ready to purchase.  You will find it under the heading "Free Patterns", labeled 'Goldie'.

rowarrior The Littlest Thistle
Glasgow

A number of sites that sell patterns also sell kits with everything you need in them.  Depending on what country you're in we may be able to steer you in the direction of one that attracts the least postage/custom fees if Intercal isn't local  bear_original

Thank you so much!  bear_original

I am in the US.

I am mostly drawn to the slouchy, vintage-looking bears/rabbits. I'm also really loving the sparse mohair look. And plain boot button style eyes! I would LOVE to find a kit or two to get me started!

I do realize that the bears get their individual "looks" from the creator's choices, but there must be some generalities in regards to joints, eyes and fabric sizing....isn't there?

BeauT Bears BeauT Bears
Rotterdam

In the US you could try http://www.teddybearmohair.com/ (not a wide range of fabrics but very econically priced) or http://www.edinburghimports.com/ (extremely wide range of fabrics).

rowarrior The Littlest Thistle
Glasgow
Zagzagael wrote:

I do realize that the bears get their individual "looks" from the creator's choices, but there must be some generalities in regards to joints, eyes and fabric sizing....isn't there?

Err, no, not really, sorry!  Eyes totally vary depending on the 'look' you're after.  For instance in my avatar bear and that range has very small eyes, my BBAA bear, in that style, was 22" and only had 8mm eyes.  On the flip side I've made 15-16" bears with 12mm eyes.  Some people make bears with huge puppy dog eye looks!  What might help with eyes, is to get some position eyes, which are basically eyes on pins.  You get them in sets of varying sizes so that you can try out different sizes and placements on your bears.

For joints, again, it depends on how 'fat' your limbs are, and how large your head/body, it makes a big difference.

Good luck with your kit hunt, sounds like Intercal should work fine for you in the US  bear_original  http://www.intercaltg.com/mobear/index.html

karenaus Melbourne
Website

One of the great things about bear supplies is that they aren't heavy, so ordering kits ( which are excellent for guidance in the beginning )  won't be a killer on shipping. The UK and Australia have some wonderful suppliers as well as the US, where you can buy kits. Etsy is also a good place to look, quite a few artists sell kits and patterns there.
    I think tho you will find that even site who don't offer kits as such, would be able to put together the supplies for a specific pattern for you if you sent them an email before you ordered the pattern.
    I have to second Katy, there is so much creative licence with fur lengths and eye sizes,  for your first few bears going with the patterns reccommendations is the way to go, then once you know what you like, you can branch out.

Thank you everyone - such a friendly group and forum!!! I really appreciate you all taking the time to respond and link.

I have been emailing sites and asking for help with the materials. It's just a frustrating "extra step" when it seems that a materials list would be so effective!

I've got several kits on the way - yay!!!

Geralye Belper, Derbyshire

Have a look at the Edinburgh Imports website.  Under 'beginners' they have some articles that you might find helpful.

http://www.edinburghimports.com/articles.asp

cheers,
G

BeauT Bears BeauT Bears
Rotterdam
Zagzagael wrote:

Specifically, I'm struggling with:

joint sizes
eye sizes
mohair pile sizes

Uh, that's just about every aspect of the bear, isn't it?  bear_laugh

Are there "general guidelines" to certain sized critters? Say, a 7" bear takes X size joints and X size eyes and probably would work best with X pile????

Help!

Hi, you might find some useful information on http://www.teddy-bear-artists-and-frien … torial.htm
It will undoubtedly contain information you already got, but there are some items that will be helpful to a starting bearmaker  bear_grin

Board footer