Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

shiniker Little Leaf Bears by Shanna
Loveland

Hello again-
    I followed some advice and bought a brush for baby hair to use on my alpaca bear.  However, I seem to be finding a lot more hair coming out in the brush.  I posted a question on facebook and someone responded that alpaca is a lot more delicate than mohair.  Is this true?  Also, most of the hair I'm finding are a bit shorter, is it possible that the baby brush is breaking the hair?  What do you use on your alpaca?

Thanks again

Shanna

Little Bear Guy Little Bear Guy
Waterloo, Ontario

I always use a brush, I buy it at the dollar store it's used for brushing cats.

steifmm Posts: 18

Why do we need to brush the Teddy's hair by the way?

BeauT Bears BeauT Bears
Rotterdam
steifmm wrote:

Why do you brush your hair? (and I take it that you are not bold  bear_tongue )

Loveland

I sleep with my bears so they need some sprucing.  I think a cat brush would work the same as a baby brush (if it's groupings of bristles, I suppose there are different kinds). I think I'm going to go back to my brush for expensive doll wigs.  I hardly ever find bear hair in that brush after a gentle fluffing.

Thanks

Shanna

rowarrior The Littlest Thistle
Glasgow

Oh dear, I sleep with my bears and they've never been brushed...  bear_whistle

Linda Benson Bears
Tasmania

Going for the "well loved slept on" look are you, Katie?  bear_laugh  bear_laugh  bear_laugh

Glasgow

Oh I never sleep on them, they have their half of the bed, I have mine  bear_happy

Lovethosebears Yorkshire

Katy you crack me up  :crackup:

steifmm Posts: 18
BeauT Bears wrote:
steifmm wrote:

Why do you brush your hair? (and I take it that you are not bold  bear_tongue )

But the hair can't really get tangled anyway right? Does  brushing really make a difference?

Linda Benson Bears
Tasmania

Katy, if you win one of my little bears in the giveaway.........I hope you have a safe place in your bed for it!!!! bear_shocked  bear_shocked  bear_shocked

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website
Shanna wrote:

I think a cat brush would work the same as a baby brush (if it's groupings of bristles, I suppose there are different kinds).

The kind of cat brush I use on mohair is very different from a baby's hair brush. The "bristles" are really stiff wires with little protective balls in the ends, and there are very few of them (compared with a regular bristle brush). The wires are attached to a soft rubbery backing so there's some cushioning as well. Something like this: http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/p … atid=14898

And for steiffmm - The mohair can get matted down. Brushing makes it fluffy, gets it out of the bear's eyes, etc.

Becky

Geralye Belper, Derbyshire

My pet comb is something like this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/JW-Gripsoft-Dou … 613&sr=8-8

I find the baby brush good for giving my bears a dusting, while I use the pet comb while I'm making the bear, as it is gentler than a teazel brush, but good for getting bits out that are caught in the seams.  It's also brilliant when trimming muzzles.  Th baby brush it too soft for using when making the bear.

cheers,
G

Glasgow
Linda wrote:

Katy, if you win one of my little bears in the giveaway.........I hope you have a safe place in your bed for it!!!! bear_shocked  bear_shocked  bear_shocked

Oh they don't ALL go in the bed, only some of them  bear_original   It's ones I've had since I was a kid (including some artist bears I have to admit, but they're on the extremities of the bunch, so they really can't get rolled on!).

The rest have a couple of sofas all to themselves, and the minis hang out together on my sideboard

Clarebear Fulrfun Bears
Alice Springs

My hubby often has to look for space in the bed to sleep.  The bears are always relocating to a different spot. They just had a good week when he was away and slept in the same spot every night LOL

Loveland

Becky-
  The brush you described is exactly what my doll hair brush is like.  I think it works out much better for the alpaca. 

Katy-
   My bed is just a wee space, unfortunately the bears get snuggled and huggled all night, they don't have the luxury of their own side!! :crackup: I also think I'm just a wee bit anal about them so nothing wrong with not brushing!!

G-
   Thanks for your assessment.  I do have a teasel for picking fur out of the seams, I know what you mean about the baby brush being too soft, it wouldn't get any of the trapped fur out!

Board footer