Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

Zagzagael Posts: 43

Guh. Getting a bit discouraged with the mini sized - I do NOT know why I thought mini would be a good place to learn bear making!  bear_sad  Midi is moderately better - I'm in love with 5" - 7" but there are still frustrations.

I've decided I just need to try a larger bear or rabbit. I don't necessarily want a "free pattern" but would love links to downloadable patterns for vintage-looking, floppy, say 10" - 15" bears or rabbits! I'm looking for a size that could be sewn on a machine rather than by hand.

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

Just a thought - most any pattern you find could be made to look vintage, and "floppy" is all in the way you stuff it, right?

Take a look at the challenge gallery for the Goldie pattern. Dozens of people used the same pattern, and everyone did it differently. Some look quite modern, while others are very traditional, or even "aged."

(Shorter, sparser mohair would be a good place to start, in my opinion.)

And I totally agree - Minis are tough to make!  bear_wacko

Becky

Thank you Becky! I will go look for Goldie! I understand what you're saying about floppiness - but isn't there an identifiable difference in regards to "vintage"? Longer arms, three-piece head? I'm so new to this and just trying to sort it as I go along. I wish there was a class in my area.

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website
zagzagael wrote:

but isn't there an identifiable difference in regards to "vintage"? Longer arms, three-piece head?

You're right about that. The earliest bears (German and American) usually had long, hockey-stick arms, humped backs, narrow ankles, etc. Pretty soon, though, English bears with shorter muzzles and arms, and plump legs came along. So it depends on what you mean by "vintage."

Have you looked at the collection of kits and patterns at Intercal (our site sponsor)? Those can be a great place to start. I'd also recommend getting a few good books. Many of those have background on teddy bear history, plus techniques and patterns to try.

Keep asking questions and keep us posted. There's a lot to know about these furry friends!  bear_original

Becky

lovenshire Love and Cuddle Nursery
Missouri
Website

Take a look in Ted Menton's Teddy Bear Book.  He not only gives you patterns but instructs you in how to change them to make whatever kind of bear you want.  Great book!
There is one for sale here on this forum...

I've got the "Traditional Teddy Bears" in the mail right now!!! Looking very forward to that. And the "Goldie" pattern is pretty much exactly what I'm after - so now I'm waiting for mohair from Intercal.

I really really appreciate the comments and tips - everyone is so friendly here!

While I'm waiting for the right tools to begin, I'm wondering about recycled fabric....think I'll go do a "search".

Board footer