Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

bearlyart Canna Bear Paint
NY

freja_send2.jpgfreja_send.jpgI seem to be a bit late in joining the 'look what I entered!' showcase, but here's one from me  bear_original

Well, I started off with all sorts of ideas that I wanted to do for the Friends category.  I even had a pattern all ready to go for another idea, and was all set to start him before I got the idea to take on this project instead.  I figured, when was the last time they had a flying horse submitted?  And like the fool that I am, I went for it.  She fought me every inch of the way (I felt like I was being mule-kicked on several occasions!).  Her wings are fully armatured and poseable in any conceivable position.  She is a subtle blend of cream and snow white tones, made from a mix of Sassy Bear's long cashmere, ultrasuede, super-long Schulte mohair, lots of feathers and a little decorative beaded trim on her wings.  I also decided that I could have made an entire bear in the time it took me to figure out the wings.

Like my other rearing horses, she is built over a fixed armature.  A series of magnets attach her to her wooden pedestal base.  I was worried the added weight of her wings would overload the magnets, until I realized I could flatten the base of her tail and add MORE than 1 magnet under there.  So she's got a (strong) magnet under each hoof that slaps onto matching magnets on the base, and a set of three magnets running under the length of her tail again with matches on the base.  If any of you are considering trying to position strong magnets near each other into fixed positions, while they are alternately trying to either repel or snap onto the magnet next to it, I don't recommend it.  I went through a lot of magnets that got, uh, accidentally epoxyed to each other or to other metal items that were in the area. 

But I'm infinitely pleased to say that Freja is *extremely* secure when she's on her base, and yet can very easily be removed for ease in transportation as needed.  Boy, was I relieved to discover that!  I figured I was doing pretty well when I could take her armature and slap it onto the refrigerator at a 90-degree angle and it stayed frozen in mid-air.  (And I left it stuck to the refrigerator, 5 minutes later I walked through the kitchen and walked right into the stupid thing and sent it flying.)  Well, it seemed only appropriate that the flying horse took flight at some point.  Anyway.  Here is Freja.

Hugs,
Kelly

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

OHMIGOSH, Kelly - she is totally amazing and beautiful . . . and sooooo creative!  You rock, girl!  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Absolutely gorgeous and completely ethereal!  I'm so glad you posted this, Kelly; it's a gem.

You know, this is the first time I've ever gotten a good at so many entry pieces (vs. nominated pieces.)  And I have to say... we are such a small sample here, but even with our group of artists posting contest entries, I think there's abundant talent and beauty to be found.  How on earth do the judges ever decide?  I have more respect for them -- and less envy for their job! -- than ever.  I just don't see how they can narrow the field... and what's been posted here is just the smallest tip of the iceberg.  Wow!

Anyway... Kelly, this flying horse is so, so pretty. 

How big is it?

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

TEDDY-TALK-BARNYARD.jpgPS  I'm going to add Freja to the BARNYARD; hope that's okay!

Gail Bear With Me Enterprises
Website

Kelly What a beautiful work of art!! It must have taken you hours to figure this one out but you have done a great job of making it look very realistic. Good luck with your entry
Shelli- I was captivated by the picture of all the entries together. Thanks so much for having them all together. You really are smart with your photo editing program!!!!!
Hugs
Gail :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

NancyAndFriends Posts: 1,153

Kelly, she is absolutely gorgeous...I am just amazed at the creativity you possess in designing and creating such a beauty.
Just wonderful and I am so glad you decided to enter her...opps, I just saw Mary jump back in her drawer!! Poor baby!
Hugs,
Nancy

OurLostRose Florida Panhandle

Freja is absolutely enchanting!  An amazing creation...  wonderous really!   bear_original

And Shelli I agree with Loonie.  I just love the Teddy Talk Barnyard!   bear_flower

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Kelly, it's amazing.  I worked with magnets on a project for a collective auction on ebay a few years ago, and they are not easy to work with.  You've done a superb job and should feel great about the end result - he's beautiful!  Did you enter into both awards or just the Tobys?   I'm soooo excited about seeing all the entries - it's nice getting a preview and I agree with Shelli on the incredible amount of talent displayed at Teddy Talk.  I feel so honoured to see my work on the Teddy Talk Barnyard with all the others.   I won't feel nearly as bad if I don't get a nomination this year, after seeing everyone's entry!

Hugs,

Brenda

Cleathero Creations Cleathero Creations
Ripley, Queensland

I have a soft spot for horses/unicorns/pegasus
love it I really do... well done.

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

Absolutely lovely..well done...very imaginative

Bonnie Mountain Dreamer Bears
wooly woods of Missouri, USA

Soo beautiful and creative! Wow!! I'm just blown away by all the creative talent that has gone into all these entrys.
Terrific Kelly! Good luck!
:clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

lapousmor Sophie Z'Ours
Sarthe, France

:clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:
That is a dreamy flying horse! I just love it! such a cutie!!!! Fairy Kelly...

bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub  :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

Beary hugs,
Sophie.

Acipenser Bine-Teddies
Stockholm

OMG I am speechless Kelly. This must be a sure winner. I had a good laugh imagining your fight with the magnets. I so know what you mean. bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin
Freeeeyyyyaaaa, little horsi horsi, coooome heeeeere. Its a nordic name so she definitely needs to stay at my house.  bear_tongue  bear_tongue  bear_rolleyes  bear_whistle

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Kelly, this took my breath away! Honestly it did!

All that sculpting and detail on the face, how on earth?...............

And you did a fantastic job on the wings.

I'm just soo impressed with everything.

WOW!! :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

Kelly, your horse is outstanding.  Wow...

Aleta - The Silly Bear The Silly Bear
Portland, Oregon
Website

Just beautiful!   bear_wub  Stunning, actually.  Great design and VERY nice work.  :rose:

Best wishes for a nomination!

Warmest hugs,  :hug:
Aleta

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

:clap:  :clap: Gosh she's beautiful....really takes the breathe away  bear_flower

bearsbybeesley bears by beesley TM
Tofield Alberta Canada

Absolutely outstanding! Takes my breath away!

Many Hugs Louise

Love Bud Bears Love Bud Bears by Sandy
New Jersey

What a beautiful & totally awesome pegasus. I love every thing about Freja !

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Beautiful job Kelly.  I am amazed at the talent on this board.  I have never seen anyone do a pegasus before.  Just gorgeous! :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

Freja is beautiful!  bear_wub  I love how you have shaped her lower jaw... looks sooo much like horse... WOW and those wings!! Beautiful!!

Terrie Terries Bears
Sherwood Park, Alberta, Canada

Kelly, Freja is amazing!!!!! Gorgeous!! Creative!! Beautiful!! Outstanding!!! Way to go! and best of luck to you!!!!!

bearlyart Canna Bear Paint
NY

Thank you everyone for your kind words, I get such a warm, fuzzy feeling from the support here!  :hug:

I think she's 13 1/2" tall, but I don't have the numbers in front of me and my brains are scrambled today.  I entered her in both the TOBYs and Golden Teddies, though I think I posted my sob story earlier about using the wrong film in my camera when taking the Golden Teddy shots.  So the photos I submitted to the Golden Teddies were not exactly first-rate, and I'm worried how that will affect her.  At least I had time to retake them for the TOBYs so I could submit something that made her look nicer!  (Hey, think the Golden Teddies would let me substitute in the nicer photos before they do the judging?  Probably not I think, dream on!)

Shelli, I love the barnyard photo!  Looks like Freja is considering eliminating some of her competition, though!  Bad horse, bad horse, leave that mouse alone!  Nah, she's very nice, she'd probably be willing to give Nancy's mouse a ride sometime.  I'm not so sure she'd be interested in making friends with the tiger though, I've never known a horse that appreciates giant carnivores.  What a lovely photo of all of them together though!  My mother submitted something to this category as well, and I think that competing with my mother's gorgeous creation is the most difficult of all!

Hugs,
Kelly

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

Oh my goodness Kelly !
She is Absolutely gorgeous !!!  :clap:   :clap:

Thanks for the spectacular photo Shelli !! :hug:   

Hugs/Marie

matilda Matilda Huggington-beare
WA

STUNNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!ABSOLUTELY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! bear_thumb  :clap:  :clap: matilda

Board footer