Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

ruth Flutter-By Bears
Staffordshire
Website

I thought some of you might find this of interest - the Foundling Hospital museum (in London) has an online exhibition
of some of the textile scraps left with babies as identifying marks. Between 1741 and 1760 , 4000 babies were left at the institution.
This would have to be one of the most poignant and sad exhibitions in it's way ; if you click the link and view the slide show, you can hit the "previous"
button to read some of the written remnants left with the infants (the slides are fairly quick)  bear_sad  One I noticed states "please take particular care of this child as he will be called for again"

The variety and intense colour of some of these 18th century fabric scraps is amazing; a heart-breaking social record but also fascinating to textile-buffs!

www.threadsoffeeling.com

Mini Hugs, Ruth  :hug:

valewoodbears Valewood Bears
Yorkshire
Website

Very nice to see Ruth, thanks, some lovely embroidered ribbons on there and dosen't most of  the fabric look very open weave to what we have today.

Hugs
Pauline

joibear Tickled Pink Bears
Durango, Colorado

Interesting.  You can click on the slideshow playing progress bar and it will pause the slideshow.

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

Very sad. (Like Kelly Jo, I wanted to pause the slide show to read some of the notes.)

Becky

annalong MadebyAnna

very interesting and sad. thanks for sharing. Made me stop and think and appreciate.

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

It sped by too quickly for me to take it all in: the stories, the details, the fabrics, notions (even the different pins!) and the facts of each child and the raw emotion that some of the mothers endowed into each scrap.
I made screen captures of each piece, so that I can linger on each one and read each in my own time.
What a grand memorial to the spirit of humanity and the will to SURVIVE!
Thanks Ruth for bringing this to our attention - wish I could see this in person!!!

ruth Flutter-By Bears
Staffordshire
Website

I just knew you would love this Bobbie  bear_original I too was fascinated by the pins, let alone the fabrics!
I'm afraid my hubby and son are used to me "homing in" on anything to do with historical textiles
whenever we visit a museum (then photos must be taken if allowed.) Every time I do Hugglets the V&A lures me back!!  bear_happy

Mini Hugs, Ruth

Melisa Nichols Melisa's Bears
Hazelton, BC
Website

I found this very interesting and sad at the same time.  I wish we could travel to London and see this in person.

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

Wow how sad but a wonderful textile document of history.

Board footer