Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

Are you up for a TT challenge? Are you ready to try something you haven't done before? Here's the plan:

1.) Choose any technique--or two or three--that you'd like to try. There's a list of ideas below to get you started.

2.) Post a note right here. Tell us what you're planning to try and why. Then as you work, let us know how it's going, and when you're done tell us what you think about the result. (We'll ask Quy to create a challenge gallery where we can post photos of our finished creations.)

3.) The deadline is April 15th, so even if you have other projects in the works, I hope you'll still have time to participate in the challenge.

So put your thinking cap on and get ready to stretch yourself!  :dance:  :dance:  :dance:  Haven't you always wanted to try...

...making a bear with wings?
...dying or painting mohair or alpaca?
...using a different style (anime, realistic, aged/antique)?
...making claws, pulled toes, or trapunto paw pads?
...designing a pattern of your own?
...using bright colors if you usually use natural colors, or vice versa?
...finding that unfinished bear in your stash and finally getting it done?

You get the idea. This is a chance to push yourself a bit, whether you've just started making bears or are an old pro. So who's in?

Becky

Zagzagael Posts: 43

I'm in, Becky!

As I'm new to bears - I am going to challenge myself to create my own pattern! I'm getting a "feel" for what I like - the size I enjoy crafting, the look/shape of the head, the look of the face, the length of the limbs....and the materials chosen!

kelly1205 Keli-B Bears
Midlands

What a fab challenge. I have just completed my first bear that I designed myself so lets keep challenging! Is the challenge limited to bears? As I was thinking of designing and making a rabbit for Easter and that would fit in really well with the challenge!
xxx

Fallenrose near Cologne

I'M probably in..f university lets me! bear_rolleyes
So..I always wanted to make an open-mouthed bear - that's what I'll try!

Jaina Emo Bears
Dudley, West Mids

Count me in. I'd like to try a bear with wings; specifically a Bug Bear. I love when people make those and I just don't have a clue.  bear_whistle

kelly1205 Keli-B Bears
Midlands

Sounds good! I know a good website for wings for bears, they are stunning and you can get them catered to your needs bear_original

http://www.anndesigns.co.uk/ I would LOVE to use some one day bear_original
xxx

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

It's great to see all of your plans.  bear_original  I think mine will be an aged/antique bear. That's something I haven't tried yet.

Keli-B wrote:

Is the challenge limited to bears? As I was thinking of designing and making a rabbit for Easter and that would fit in really well with the challenge!

It's not limited to bears, and a rabbit is a great idea--or any other creature you've been wanting to make. (The only rules in these challenges are ones that we agree on, and this challenge couldn't be much more open-ended. I hope everyone feels free to participate.)

Becky

kelly1205 Keli-B Bears
Midlands

Excellent bear_laugh Open ended sounds great and it will alsop stretch our skills if we are trying somthing new :)

I have another 2 bears planned before I start the bunny, but will start designing her soon so the pattern is ready. She should be done by April :)
xxx

janicemarie Gresswell Forest Bears
melbourne

Thanks for getting this started Becky!
I have a list of techniques I want to try out so I will be producing a bear with a lot of new things tried out on him! Or maybe lots if bears with a new technique on each!

Here is my list.
Open mouth
Claws (I want to sculpt my own)
Waxed nose
Eyelashes & eyelids
Trapunto paw pads. (soft & leather)

lovenshire Love and Cuddle Nursery
Missouri
Website

This sounds like fun!  I have a bear cut out that has been put away for a long time waiting for the right white mohair for his tummy.  I want to finish him.  Plus, I have a cat in mind for my bed and if I can find some affordable white mohair I would love to make her.

rowarrior The Littlest Thistle
Glasgow

I'm working on my first vintage bears at the moment, so lots of new ageing techniques to try.  Alas, the first poor bear's been in the works for 6 weeks, I've just not had enough down time from work to do more than sew bits together, and I still haven't quite finished sewing his head!

teeeej Brisbane

Im in! I am designing a fairy bear at the moment. And I want to try out some new techniques for the wings. Bought heaps of bits and pieces for them ages ago and I really want to start using them.

Ohh and I am also attempting to make a monkey from an old pattern. It has sooo many pieces and the head is quiet challenging. Plus it is designed with string jointing which I will change to normal joints.

Jolene's Bear Cubs Posts: 51

Count me in!  I would like to try a more realistic bear with claws this time.  I also would like to try a bunny.  I will let you know which one I end up starting.  designing the pattern takes so long for me but I love challenges.

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

This challenge gallery is going to be great--fairies, bunnies, monkeys...I can't wait to see!  bear_laugh

I'm almost ready to choose a fabric for my aged/antique bear. I'll be looking for a traditional color (in the brown to gold range) and a shorter, sparser pile.

Any other updates? How's it going?

Becky

Glasgow

I've done my first 2 aged bears, so much fun!  Will post their pics later this week  bear_original

Missouri
Website

Well, I am already in a mess...I got another order for a bear.  I may never get mine done but I'll try...

Glasgow

Got my two done (just finished the last seam closure an hour ago).  Have to go over to my gran's in a bit, so photos will follow later  bear_original

Glasgow

Okay, my photos are up: http://www.teddy-talk.com/viewtopic.php?id=40226

More will appear on my blog in the next couple of days  bear_original

Jaina Emo Bears
Dudley, West Mids

My bear is currently arms and legs jointed into an empty body. He's also a disembodied head that has no ears or eyes - just a nose.... :crackup:  but he's at least designed and I went to get the glitter for his wings last week  bear_grin

teeeej Brisbane

Finished jointing and stuffing my fairy bear last night. He is all ready for me to give him wings. My monkey's head is almost finished minus the ears. Hoping to get some more work done this weekend.

Ivyworks Ivyworks Artistry
Ottawa, Ontario

Hmmm, may have come upon this challenge too late, but I'll give it a whirl  bear_grin   I've always wanted to try and dye my own mohair, something really really funky looking, like tie dye or batik. If I can get the mohair in time,  I'll be up for the challenge  bear_thumb  Count me in!  bear_happy

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website
Shannon wrote:

Hmmm, may have come upon this challenge too late, but I'll give it a whirl  bear_grin   I've always wanted to try and dye my own mohair, something really really funky looking, like tie dye or batik.

There's still plenty of time, and in my own case, the first couple of attempts at dying mohair came out looking like batik or tie-dye without my even trying!  bear_laugh  I really must stir more or something next time...

Becky

Missouri
Website

My ordered bear is coming along nicely but my challenge bear is in a bag AGAIN!

Jodie Ruhrgebiet

Is it ok, if you count me in?  :pray:  My first bear was without any ankles. My second one will have some. This is my personal challenge.  :redface:
I know it's not an outstanding performance and I hope it is ok for you, if I'm here with you.  :pray:

Glasgow

Hop on in Jodie, it's open to all  bear_original

Board footer