Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

eatcakevintage Eat Cake! bears and vintage
Ormond Beach, FL

bettyboo10.jpgbettyboo9.jpgI have been working on this design for months. I did not want to use my doll heads so came up with a plan. It took quite a few tries but finally got her to where I like her. I molded and made my own heads from paperclay to which I added my own details. She is 9" tall not including her ears, and made from hand-dyed black sparse mohair. She has two vintage buttons with red rhinestones and a vintage red pompom tail for just for fun! I think she turned out to be a cutey and can't wait to finish the other smaller ones I have on my table.

So here's is Betty Boo.

avateddy Posts: 1,361

Realy Great work.  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

Snookums Posts: 285

Wonderful job!!! Love the molded face. She really is a cutie!! bear_wub

Melisa Nichols Melisa's Bears
Hazelton, BC
Website

She is scrumptious!  Great job on creating your own baby face!  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub

JO BEARS jo bears
KENT

Great minds must think alike !!! -I have made these sort of bear/doll/rabbits -sold one last week on bearpile and am in the middle of making a clown rabbit with an old baby pot head. Yours is so sweet!!

Wee Beary Tails Wee Beary Tails

She's just charming, loved how you've picked out her eye colour with the blue ruffle collar  :clap:  Love the stringy mohair you have used and her vintage sparkly buttons. She'll be adopted quick!  bear_original

rowarrior The Littlest Thistle
Glasgow

Beautiful job on the face, and sweet idea with the bunny outfit

les ours d'isabelle LES OURS D'ISABELLE
ST JULIEN LES ROSIERS
Website

bravo :clap:  :clap:  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_flower  bear_flower

Woodbury Park Bears Woodbury Park Bears
Central Coast New South Wales
millie PottersHouse Bears
Ohio

Wonderful!  Please tell me more about this paperclay.  I have been wanting to try to make dolls for a while but just don't know where to start.  What is paperclay and where do I find it?

eatcakevintage Eat Cake! bears and vintage
Ormond Beach, FL

Thank you everyone, I loved how she turned out and now have to make one for my granddaughter. She expected me to make her one while she visited the other evening. And of course she ordered a pink one.

This one is available on ebay.

Millie,
You can find the paperclay at Michaels or Hobby Lobby. It is a shredded paper mix that you just combine with water and knead until you get a smooth "clay." Then you can mold it or sculpt it. It drys rock hard. I think there may be a bit of plaster in the mix. It dries naturally, or if you are impatient like me then you can dry it in a low oven. This doll head had the basic layer from the mold, which I froze so I could unmold and starting the drying process. Then I added some more clay here and there after I dried it once in the oven. Then carved and sanded. Then I made a fabric head to attach the face too with glue and then made a back part of the head with more clay attached to the front and dried in the oven again. You can paint it then however you like. I'm working on some crackling methods for the next ones, but it just isn't working for me.

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

Fantastic!  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:

I love her old-timey face. (That's what baby dolls are supposed to look like, to me!)

Becky

mebears M. E. Bears And Critters
Brisbane, Queensland
Website

Barbette, I think this is so adorable. It looks like an antique head  :clap:  :clap:
Hugs Wendy XXXX

Board footer