Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

Snookums Posts: 285

Gibson.JPGThe bear still doesn't look right!! Pattern says it has a 3mm or 1/8 inch seam allowance included and I was very careful to sew a 3mm seam allowance. My bear does not look as "plump" as the one in the book and he's stuffed full...literally!! I am using a faux fur with absolutely no stretch, but until I get comfortable I will not use mohair. I'm wondering if maybe that's where I'm getting frustrated...the fake fur has a different "look" to it?

In any case my son loved him and has claimed the bear for his guitar teacher. His name is Gibson...and I've been informed that I have to make Martin, Taylor, and Fender too!

Tami E Tami Eveslage Original Teddy Bears
Milford Ohio

He's very cute! The length of the fur nap can make a big difference in how chubby the bear looks. maybe that is what you are noticing. I love the name!

karenaus Melbourne
Website

Like Tami says, pile length can make a huge difference, even a couple of millimetres. Also as strange as it sounds, even though you say he is stuffed full, you may have stuffed it a different shape to the original. You can shape and sculpt a lot with stuffing, especially the head.

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

I think Karen is on to something. When I was beginning to make bears I thought I stuffed firmly but found out I wasn't. I learned to really pack in the fiberfill and the bear really look different. If you can squeeze the tummy and there is give, you did not put enough fiberfill in the bear. That may the the reason.

Thanks for all the helpful tips!!

I'm going to try again. I still have synthetic fur to use up :). This time I will stuff extra firmly!

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website
Snookums wrote:

I'm going to try again. I still have synthetic fur to use up

True, or you could open this guy up and stuff him some more! (It won't be the last time you open up a bear to make some kind of change. bear_original )

Becky

karenaus Melbourne
Website
Snookums wrote:

Thanks for all the helpful tips!!

I'm going to try again. I still have synthetic fur to use up :). This time I will stuff extra firmly!

Don't just concentrate on stuffing firmly, try and stuff 'round'... Hmm how to explain, if you put the stuffing in and push it upwards to the neck, your bear will get taller, but if you push outwards, he will get chubbier. Iver noticed when teaching classes the different ways different peoples stuffing can change the look of a bear, but its so hard to explain in words bear_grin  but perhaps just knowing you want him chubbier will keep you more aware of how you stuff.

rowarrior The Littlest Thistle
Glasgow

Definitely think Karen's onto something.  Like Michelle, for my first bear I thought I'd firmly stuffed him.  Ha, I used about half the amount of stuffing I'd use now in the body and limbs!  Between that and the pile you're probably noticing the biggest differences.  I also started with other artists patterns in kits, and I swear the first one had the wrong photo on the pattern.  I tried it 4 times and it never even looked close!  Still made cute bears, just not like the pic lol

dangerbears wrote:
Snookums wrote:

I'm going to try again. I still have synthetic fur to use up

True, or you could open this guy up and stuff him some more! (It won't be the last time you open up a bear to make some kind of change. bear_original )

Becky

Oh no... bear_sad but I was seriously thinking about opening him up and seeing what I can "tweak".

Lisa

Thanks Karen and Katy!! I am determined to make a pudgy bear and I think that I can make it happen now!!

Lisa

jissy Posts: 70

Guitar teacher, Gibson Guitar .... equals the bear's name is Gibson!!!! I love it!  (yes I was a metal head as a teen and yes I strummed a guitar or two but never learned to play, did like to watch others play though so that was "cool" enough!)

Great bear!

Board footer