Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier
Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.

rowarrior The Littlest Thistle
Glasgow

A friend of mine has commissioned me to make a bear for her photography business.  She runs a lot of workshops out and about, and would like to be able to take her new mascot with her.  For the most part she's based in the UK, but she does go to the likes of Hong Kong on occasions.

Given that one of her criteria was that it had to fit in a camera bag, it hit me last weekend as I humphed my own camera bag around Ireland, complete with bear, that camera bags are full of traps for the unwary bear!  Dividing segments are velcro, and there are usually a few zips thrown in for good measure too.  With that in mind, I realised I would have to 'solidify' the nose so that the embroidery wouldn't get caught on anything (I have less fear about the rest of the bear) 

I was all set to go at it with a number of layers of wax, but then I wondered whether there might be heat/humidity issues with this type of sealing.  I've got a pot of 'nose varnish' although I have no idea what its constituent parts are (possibly fimo sealer?), and I also have mod podge/PVA glue that I can use, however thus far the only thing I have ever tried is the waxing.

Any ideas/suggestions appreciated  bear_original

lovenshire Love and Cuddle Nursery
Missouri
Website

I always use waxing too but I've been wondering about the varnish too!

Clarebear Fulrfun Bears
Alice Springs

The pva is the way to go.  I made a bear for my husband that sat on the dashboard of his truck and reached very high temperatures at times and Kenny's nose (the bear not the husband) is still hard and intact.

amber Honey Valley Bears
Toronto

I would think that you would be okay with the varnish or even a white glue that has been watered down that dries clear. I'm trying to think of what it is called.  But one year my mom and I made Christmas ornaments as gifts.  And we just used a plain glass christmas globe and cut up tissue paper and stuck and sealed it with a watered down white glue.  It dried clear and hard and sealed everything perfectly. We had a couple left over and put them on our own tree.  And never a problem.  Of course tree lights now really don't get very hot, but one was near a heat vent and no change in it at all.

ScaliWagGrrs ScaliWagGrrs
Denver, Colorado
Website

You could test things out by getting an old stuffed animal at a thrift shop, redo it's nose as you plan on doing for your friend's teddy. Then stick it in a hot car for a day or so and see what happens.  I know that noses that are just waxed will melt in hot cars. Let us know what you come up with and how it works.
Beth

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

If there are zippers or velcro I think I would not use wax.  Just imagine the look after the bear's face has been pushed up against either.  Wax is hard, but it is not that hard.   Glue like Modge Podge is more forgiving.  I do know that it has been stated on here before that Mod Podge has gone white in humidity. 

Joanne

Little Bear Guy Little Bear Guy
Waterloo, Ontario

I agree I think Mod Podge is the way to go. We discovered that is what nose varnish really is , they just put it in smaller containers and charge you more for it. It's what they use to do decoupage with or still do.  The way would scrap and get marked up and in high temps it would melt.

good luck  and hugs

rowarrior The Littlest Thistle
Glasgow

Great, thanks for the suggestions guys  bear_original   I have a 'test head' that I made for something else entirely, but which I hadn't done anything with the nose for, so I'll try the PVA on that...

Board footer