Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

Deb Upstate New York

Supplies required include 1/8 yard each of mohair, synthetic and genuine fur.  Where in the world do you purchase that (1/8 yard genuine fur)? 

I've been wanting to take the class, but am a little leary because the duration is only 30 days.  YIKES.  Am worried I couldn't finish.  Also really don't have an interest in doing synthetics or genuine fur ... <those of you have taken it> ... could I do three mohair pieces?  I'll try to be open-minded if you say no.
bear_innocent

Thanks guys.

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Deb, I haven't taken the class, but I'm assuming she asking you for 3 types of fur, just for experience. Use all mohair if you like.
Also, Nancy is a super lady, so if you ask her this question she'll be happy to answer I'm sure.

Plus, a month isn't too bad. You can always print out the course if you need more time.

Mo Beary Mo Bear Designs
Redcliff, Alberta, Canada
Website

Deb,

Heather is correct.  You can do the heads with whatever material you want.  I took the course and did a synthetic and mohair.  I didn't do the real fur.  The 30 days is long enough.  All you are learning to do is the sculpting with the head which really takes no time to sew.  I did the heads and really liked the sculpting but then didn't have enough material to do the bodies  bear_wacko  bear_wacko UGH  So of course I had to go out and buy more material bear_grin  bear_grin  So be aware of that!

The course is really good and you can print off the instructions and if you don't have time you can do it when you do.  However there is a benefit to doing it during the 30 days - I think there is a 15 day grace period as well - as you have a chance to ask questions if you need to.

I really enjoyed the course and I'm planning to register for another one in Mar.

Jane

shantell Apple Dumpling Designs
Willamette Valley Oregon

Deb,

I did her class and you can do it in less than 30 days and she does give you a grace period.  As already mentioned you can print out the materials and go at your leisure.  The only thing you would really lose is the class message board where you can ask questions, read others messages, etc.   Nancy is very VERY flexible. 

As far as the "required" materials....they really aren't required.  You should use whatever you feel comfortable using and will most likely work with anyway.   You are really just making a head and using the same principles on any fur.   The scissor sculpting she has you do is to create those "puffy cheeks" and of course a nice dense synthetic works better than mohair.  You don't have to use her pattern.  I used my own and turned my "practice" head into a bear when I was done.  Something about just having a head hanging out gave me the creeps.

She only releases a chapter each week...so you really can't work too far ahead but she gives you plenty of time...and there are no "pop quizzes" or "final exams."  bear_original bear_original

I thought it was worth the money and I saved the materials for future reference.   bear_thumb

Shantell

Deb Upstate New York
shantell wrote:

Something about just having a head hanging out gave me the creeps.

HA!  Too funny.

Thanks all for the info!

Board footer