Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

sewzanne Raccoon Creek Bears
New Jersey

This is more of a question for the newbies than for those of you with established websites... When you first started selling bears, did you use your regular paypal account to receive payments, or did you get a business account right from the start? I feel like I'm getting into deeper water than I'm comfortable with and I a) don't know the right question to ask and b) who I should be asking. bear_wacko
Suzanne

Estelle Estelles canal bears and Tod Teddies
Todmorden West Yorkshire

Suzanne I am glad you asked this, I have never had a paypal account though I should like one I dont know where or how I should start, so any information would help me too  bear_ermm

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

I use my personal account - things are complicated enough without adding multiple paypal accts too!

Kirsten So. Cal.
Website

I have a paypal account which is free, I can accept payments IF they are paid through a BANK account, NOT a credit card. Very easy..

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

I started out with a regular paypal or personl account.  You can accept up to 600 every three months,but no more than that.   This may have changed, though.

I switched to a Premier Business account so I could accept all types of unlimited amounts of payments.  The down side to this is that I have to pay a small percentage...I believe it is 4%.  I feel it is worth it as paypal is such a convenient way to accept payment from all over the world.  All the fees are tax deductable.  It is easy to set up an account.  Just go to  www.paypal.com

Also, I found that many ebayer bidders prefer to pay with paypal.  I have had my account for six years without any problems at all.  (except for spam emails)

Wisdom Bears Wisdom Bears
Ayrshire, Scotland.

Hi Suzanne,
                   Like Judi, I too have had my PayPal account for over 4 years with no problems at all.I have the premier account also.  Hugs Rita xx

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

I started off with a Premier account..... I could accept BANK or credit card payments. But, the money coming in began to exceed the amount allowed per month or quarter so I upgraded to a Business account. I was selling a lot on eBay plus occassional transactions through my website.

With the Business account I can also add a shopping cart to my website (if I ever find the time to get that figured out) so I think it will be worth the extra in fees for me.

Definately accepting Paypal increases the chance of someone buying from you. Unless you have a high sales volume it will keep your expenses down to stick with a Premier account until you out grow it.

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

When I first started out I went immediately for the Premier Account so that I could accept credit card Paypal payments too.

When I used to do car photography I started out just accepting checks.  When I was able to start accepting credit cards, I got more orders and larger orders.  That's why I started out with the Premier Account with Paypal as soon as I started selling on eBay.

sewzanne Raccoon Creek Bears
New Jersey

Thanks for the helpful information!  bear_original   bear_wub   bear_original  Suzanne

Cleathero Creations Cleathero Creations
Ripley, Queensland

Paypal premier here too.  I can set it up on my web site as well as eBay and vecause we are so far from the rest of the world Paypal makes it so much easier for all involved.

Jare Hares & Bears Jare Hares & Bears
Polo, IL

I have never had any problems with PayPal, I just don't like e-checks.
From what I have been able to find out from PayPal they will keep presenting e-checks until there are funds to cover it. So it could take 6 months, a year, or longer if the payor dinks around. I don't care for them.
But other than that I don't have a problem with PayPal, it has made my life easier.

clare14 Country Bears
England

Ewww Erin, that's scary, I'm so sorry that happened to you  bear_sad

What do you use now??   Is there an alternative to paypal??

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

So sorry Erin :(

Unfortunately that can happen with just a regular merchant account too (when the customer gives you the CC number themselves)  The CC company also rips the $ right out of your account.  Had THAT happen to me long time ago....

Estelle Estelles canal bears and Tod Teddies
Todmorden West Yorkshire

I went to bidpay website to take a look and I think they  stopped opperating at the end of December

Jare Hares & Bears Jare Hares & Bears
Polo, IL

Once we got a charge back to our merchant account and then on top of that we were charged a fee. So not only did we lose the money we also had to pay for losing the money. That is not right.

fredbear Fred-i-Bear
Johannesburg
Website

I have just set up a PayPal account ,because I want to get something on the internet and the supplier will only let me pay this way, so I thought wel,l might as well do it then if someone wants to pay me I can use this option, as I do not have any other credit card facilities for internet purchases on my website. When I travel normally I get paid in cash, in UK, I can bank cheques as I have an account there. Credit cards when travelling can be a problem, normally another artist will cash them for me taking off the charges the credit company charge them, with the understanding that I take the risk if the card is stolen, which I am prepared to do. Sometimes the organisers will also accept the credit cards on your behalf and give you back the cash less the credit card percentage, all in all a plan can always be made.
It is always better to separate your business from your personal side of things, if you are using one bank account, then keep a record in a book where you show a break down of what is personal and what is business.
In the beginning it might be very little but it all adds up.
Another thing is to also keep a record of cash that you spend, all this can purely be for your own interest and for your  own eyes.

bear_original Lynette

Board footer