Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

Hi there!  Well, taking Nancy's cue on posting something "not a bear," nor a fuzzy wuzzy friend.... This is Brynn....  And she is lying on a piece of gorgeous Intercal mohair.... so there is a wee bit of a connection...   bear_tongue 

126011357.jpg

I haven't made one of these since early in 2004, but I just had the itch!

Her full description as well as some pictures of her on my finger (so you can see how tiny she is!) can be found in her eBay description.:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi … 5657638650

I promise, I won't be showing a million non-bear photos.... but I these are my roots.... and why it is so much easier for me to use pattern draping than drawing an actual flat pattern.... It will all make much more sense now! 

Hope she at least makes you smile!  Now... back to the BEARS!

Beary truly yours,
Kim Basta
Wild Thyme Originals

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Glorious!  I love those little babies.  Do you sculpt from photos, Kim? 

I've a real fondness for fairies, although I'm not a fairy-collector like some at all.  When I first saw the Froud/Lee book FAERIES all those many years ago, tho, I was hooked on the fantasy of it!  Who wouldn't want to be a lithe little waif with wings, named BLUEBELL???

I don't think dolls and bears are that far apart from one another.  Yeah... the one is hairier than the other, and they require different media to create; otherwise, in terms of photographing them, marketing them, admiring and collecting them, they're pretty much on equal footing, seems to me.

Thanks so much for posting!

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Nice job Kim! I'm glad you've picked up your clay again.

I haven't touched mine for months. As soon as I got into bear making I started taking out my clay less and less.

Beautiful job though! Soo sweet!

Hudson, Ohio
Shelli wrote:

I don't think dolls and bears are that far apart from one another.  Yeah... the one is hairier than the other, and they require different media to create; otherwise, in terms of photographing them, marketing them, admiring and collecting them, they're pretty much on equal footing, seems to me.

I couldn't agree more Shelli... that and the fact that our collectors often over lap... so many people collect artist dolls AND artist bears!  I had several collectors who followed me from the dolls to the mini bears... and then larger bears... we'll see maybe I'll get a couple folks who will follow me back again!  Though I kinda think that it's just a temporary diversion into the faerie realm this time... I think my next fairy should be much hairier! 

I do wish doll folk and bear folk were able to cooperate more as far as marketing and shows go.... cause really we all face the same issues and problems in that area.... I so often hear on a doll maker show that they though  a show wasn't all that great 'cause there were "too many bears" or vice versa.... 

And there are lots of really interesting artists who do very anthropomorphic pieces that are simply fascinating with lots of soft sculpture, but they are considered too "person/doll like" to be covered by the usual teddy bear avenues... but too animal like to be given much consideration by teddy bear magazines.... They too often fall through the cracks and they are creating some of the neatest stuff!

Beary truly yours,
Kim Basta
Wild Thyme Originals

Hudson, Ohio
psichick78 wrote:

As soon as I got into bear making I started taking out my clay less and less.

Oh... me too Heather!  There was a really short period of time where I did both.... then the bears just drove the poor little faeries right out of the studio!  Honestly... it was a couple of YEARS!

Oh... I didn't answer your initial question Shelli.... I've done so many babies that I don't really need the photos much.... when I do need to refer to a photo... I took so many pics of my son Benjamin in all these different funny poses when he was a newborn... as well as measurements like the length of a baby forearm, or how high their hands can reach above their heads (not very far!)  Poor Ben was my guinea pig!

Beary truly yours,
Kim Basta
Wild Thyme Originals

Marion Acid Attic Bears
Versailles

Absolutely amazing ! This faery is marvellous ! bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub

Deb Upstate New York

Absolutely precious!  I love fairies.  I could probably whip up a stick figure one!  Great job!
:hug:

clare14 Country Bears
England

Ooooh Kim, I'm in LOVE!!!    bear_wub   You are a SUPER TALENTED LADY!!   What do you make these out of, what is the art called, and do you know of any links about this type of sculpting??   Sorry, I'm so intrigued and I've never seen anything quite so exquisite before..... :hug:

bearsbybeesley bears by beesley TM
Tofield Alberta Canada

Oh my Kim! She is outstanding! I admire those of you that can sculpt such tiny and wonderous little creatures! Just gorgeous!

Many Hugs Louise

Winney Winneybears and Friends
White City, Oregon

Beautiful and precious baby...LOve it....Winney

gotobedbears Posts: 3,177

Kim - this ickle bickle fairy baby is superb  :clap:

Ahh if only i had some dosh i'd put a bid in for her  :hug:

I don't know how you do it darling but not only do you make fabulous bears you also make these little creations too - i could get to dislike you you know  :dance:

All the best for her auction Kim love  bear_thumb

Penny  bear_wub

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Just . . . . breathtaking, Kim!  A tiny treasure!  You are one talented lady!

Hudson, Ohio

Thank you all so much... To answer you question Clare... it's polymer clay... Fimo, Sculpy, Cernit, Prosculpt... there are a ton of different brands available both here and in Europe.  You can buy it at craft stores here in the US, and I'd imagine in overseas as well.... It's basically like usuing clidren's modeling clay, but when you are done, you pop it into the oven for a some time at a fairly low temperature and it cures hard like porcelain.....

As for site to check out... oh there would just be too many for me to even begin listing them... there are just some spectacular artists out there doing amazing things with polymer clay.  If you just type in "polymer clay artist dolls" in your search engine.... you will be amazed!

Beary truly yours,
Kim basta
Wild Thyme Originals

clare14 Country Bears
England

Kim, thank you so much - I'm absolutely amazed by your fairy - you've really inspired me!!   (Should be absolutely hilarious!!)   I shall probably sculpt something that vaguely resembles a potato!!    bear_laugh  bear_laugh

I don't know about anyone else, but sometimes I want to create something different from bears, just for a change.   I don't make anything else (I've tried things like knitting and such with disastrous results!!)    bear_whistle   

Many thanks Kim, you're a diamond  :hug:

vkallum Humble-Crumble Collectors Bears
Essex, England
Website

Kim

She's wonderful - her little legs and bottom are just so ............... squeezable!

Fantastic job.

TamiL Dolls N Dreams
Aurora, Colorado

Hi thanks for the pic, I just love little baby fairies!
Good job!

NancyAndFriends Posts: 1,153

Kim...how absolutely marvelous...a fellow 'clayer' and such beautiufl work.
I do love to work in clay and made a few baby fairies as well.
This wee one you just made, almost makes you want to pat her sweet little bums!  She is just adorable Kim!!

So glad you shared your pics...I hope other hobbies will pop out as well.

Nanc....

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Kim, This has got to be the dearest and sweetest most darlingest ( I made this word up) little baby doll I have ever seen.  She took my breath away.

You are very talented!

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Absolutely gorgeous Kim.  What fantastic detail.  And what a special treet.

It truly is ok if post picutres other than warm and fuzzies!

After all they let me be here with the gollies~

PlEASE FEEL FREE TO SHARE ANY TIME and ANY CUTIE THAT YOU HAVE!  hOORAY!!!

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

Oh My Gosh!   bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub

kimkc Australia

absolutely gorgeous! what a talented lady you are kim.
good luck with the auction bear_flower

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

nanc*e*bears wrote:

So glad you shared your pics...I hope other hobbies will pop out as well.

Nanc....

Years before I started making bears, Paul and I published a little book about a creature I made up.  We intended to make a series of books using the same characters in the first one, but I soon discovered that marketing is NOT my thing . . . and the idea went the way of a lot of my ideas - down the drain.  But, in case you might be interested in seeing what this critter looked like, here's a link to my website. 

http://pages.prodigy.net/jpaulholcomb/html/tex.html

starlite Starlite Bears
Renfrew,Scotland

OOOooohh!! Sigh - I have always loved fae things - this tiny little work of art is most probably the most wonderful little creature ever bear_wub  bear_wub
Little Brynn is a beauty, a dream, a baby goddess :clap:  :clap:  :clap:  :clap:
I hope she is a tremendous success in her auction - I think she will be - I am even more stunned than ever at your artistic talents bear_thumb
:hug: Anne

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Hi there,
    Kim, your wee fairy is wonderful - I sculpted mini dolls too, before I started with bears.  I made one wee bear to go with one of my dolls, and never looked back.  I love his little hat!
                                                 Hugs,

Brenda

thumperantiques Newcastle, Ontario

Hi Sue Ann,
     Your illustrations are wonderful and it's a super idea to teach children about the environment.  I collect children's books - I loooove illusdtration.   I've always wanted to write and illustrate a children's book.  I did children's portraits in coloured pencio for quite a few years.  Yep, I understand about the marketing too - not an easy proposition.  Take care.

Hugs,

Brenda

Board footer