Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

Dawn J Hugs Unlimited
West Yorkshire
Website

I was incredibly sad to hear that Oliver Holmes of Merrythought had passed away. I had the privledge to meet him on several occasions and he was a lovely man with a great sense of humour. He was the grandson of the original founder of Merrythought.

http://www.shropshirestar.com/news/2011 … er-battle/

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-sh … e-13295041

rowarrior The Littlest Thistle
Glasgow

OMG!  You would never have guessed there was anything wrong with him at the anniversary last year, I wonder how quick it was?  Although reading Sarah's comments it looks like he was living life to the full right up to the end, what a shame.

susana fung hong kong

sorry to hear this news, it's a loss for the bear industry.

Dawn J Hugs Unlimited
West Yorkshire
Website
rowarrior wrote:

OMG!  You would never have guessed there was anything wrong with him at the anniversary last year, I wonder how quick it was?  Although reading Sarah's comments it looks like he was living life to the full right up to the end, what a shame.

I understand that he and his family only found out a few weeks before he died, by which time it was too late for treatment. I also understand that this is quite common with pancreatic cancer, that it is hard to spot early signs.

I was totally shocked as well - he was so full of life. It also seems very harsh that someone who went on so many adventures ie balloon rides over the artic circle etc., should have his life cut short in that way. A real loss to the bear world.

Karon Posts: 751

I am so sad ... he was such a lovely man - I didn't know he was even ill  bear_cry

Dawn J Hugs Unlimited
West Yorkshire
Website
Karon wrote:

I am so sad ... he was such a lovely man - I didn't know he was even ill  :cry:

No-one did Karon - I was phoned by one of his close friends on Saturday, and he didn't know either. I think it took everyone by surprise and happened very quickly.

Karon Posts: 751

I am glad for him that it happened so quickly but it is such a shock Dawn -he was one of the stars of the Teddy Bear world, rest peacefully Oliver and thank you for all you have done in the Bear World and thank you for securing the future of Merrythought.

Geralye Belper, Derbyshire

I am so sorry to hear this.  I used to regularly attend the Merrythought Collectors Club Open days, and he was always so welcoming and proud of his staff and business.

Board footer