Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

Densteds Densteds
Website

Hi everyone,
just a warning that the scammers are on etsy too...I received this etsy email this morning..checked the etsy id, "he" joined yesterday...I sent it to "abuse at Etsy" for them to check it out.
So if you get any like the one below be very wary

You have a message From brianjones003 on Etsy.

---
Subject: HARRY Mohair Artist Bear  A Sweet Faced Little Boy Bear One of a Kind  15 ins., listing #72591453

Hello,
I'm quite interested in purchasing this your item and am ready for immediate purchase. Payment will be made to you via Paypal, do you accept Paypal as mode of payment? I will like to ask you the following questions. Are you the real owner? What is the present condtion? How much is the final asking price? Do you have paypal ID which payment can be make? Where is the exact location for the pick up? I will be glad to hear back from you. I have a shipper that will come over for the pick up, so you don't needs to bother of the shipment, just let me know the pick up location so that I can make and inquiry with the pick up agent to know how much it will cost me for the pick up....Get back with any respond to my private email direct: thielen1024@live.com , cause i check this email often, or send me your email to contact you direct. I will be looking forward to read from you.

Reply back to: thielen1024@live.com

Listing: http://www.etsy.com/listing/72591453/ha … weet-faced

Message sent on May 10, 2011
---

Reply here:
http://www.etsy.com/conversations/48247 … nvo_2#last

Find your friends on Etsy:
http://www.etsy.com/friends

To turn email notifications for conversations off, visit: http://www.etsy.com/convo_preferences.php

Is this conversation spam? Report it by forwarding this email to abuse@etsy.com

Thanks,
Etsy

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

Wow. That is not good. I got this e-mail the other day from "pay pal". It was to confirm my information by "clicking on the link provided" to update my profile. It said they are revamping their communications with it's customers. That is a scam too. Pay pal would never to that. so there is a lotnof scams out there.

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

I think the checking the address thing is certainly a bit scary.

Joanne

Jennskains Posts: 2,203

Boy am I glad I didn't fall for the paypal scam.

Densteds Densteds
Website

I have just received an email from Etsy, they closed that account and all accounts associated with it, so that's good news..if you receive any similar spam emails please send them onto etsy..
Never click on any paypal emails unless it is addressed to your full paypal name, anything that says "dear member" etc is a scam. You should forward any suspicious paypal emails to spoof@paypal.com, ditto for ebay emails, forward to spoof@ebay.com.

Us Bears Pennsylvania

Regardless of the reason.  Regardless of who you think the source is.

DO NOT EVER CLICK ON A LINK IN A E-MAIL THAT YOU ARE NOT EXPECTING TO RECEIVE!
NEVER, NEVER, NEVER!

If you think you have a legitimate message from your bank, your credit card company, your internet provider or any other business interest do the following:

* Close all your browser windows and open a new, clean window.
* Go to the address bar at the top of the window and type in the URL for the location YOU KNOW corresponds to the sender.
(e.g.  If you receive a message from PayPal, go to "www.paypal.com" and enter your account through normal channels like you always do.)

If that request was legitimate, you'll find the information you need in the usual location within your usual website.  Often, the company will leave a message in your message box with instructions telling you what to do.

I can't say it strongly enough:  DO NOT EVER CLICK ON A LINK IN AN E-MAIL THAT YOU DID NOT EXPECT TO RECEIVE!

If you remember that one thing, more than half of your spammer and scammer problems will almost instantly disappear.

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

Doesn't the mixed very stiff, stilted use of the English language and then switching to slang expression, serve as an all-bells-clanging warning signal, that this person is NOT a legitimate business person, approaching us with a legitimate business offer?
E.g.,

so you don't needs to bother of the shipment, just let me know the pick up location so that I can make and inquiry with the pick up agent to know how much it will cost me
so you don't needs to bother of the shipment,
I will be looking forward to read from you.

and then

cause i check this email often, or send me your email to contact you

(easily picked up from our exported TV shows!!!)

As Randy says - DO NOT  E  V  E  R - click on a link SENT to us in an email we were not expecting, sometimes even from friends we know (at the risk of embarrassment, write first to ask if they'd sent something, from a brand-new clean post/page, NOT from hitting Reply!), because our email Addy Books can be hijacked w/o us even knowing it and start to send out Spam, again w/o us even knowing it, to everyone in those address books.

Delete that trash - don't respond.
Legitimate businesses will find you legitimately.. and come to YOU with legitimate offers, not ask you to post your own terms. They already KNOW what overhead they need to operate their businesses.

Board footer