Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

fuzzyhand.jpgfuzzytilt.jpg"Fuzzy Wuzzy was a bear
Needlefelted from mohair
Homespun bow and
Lots of love
He'll go with you anywhere."

I used the mohair I brushed from some 1 1/2" schulte mohair I have. The brushing sort of pre-felted it but let me tell you, it took hours and hours to get that silky mohair to felt! There was no way I could get all the fibers felted so he has a fuzzy look. That unkemptness is driving me crazy but I'm beginning to find that it adds character and sure made naming him easy. He's 2 5/8" tall and I used seed beads for the eyes... first time as I usually use little glass eyes.

I've never sold one of my felted bears... I have no idea what I'd get for one and don't feel that eBay is the place to find that out as it's so unpredictable.  He's only the 6th bear I've needlefelted.

I know, I need to get my light tent set up and the background I used is a big photographing no-no. But I wanted to get pictures taken tonight as I have to move on to 'real bears' tomorrow... no more goofing off for fun... I've got orders to do!!!

Thanks for taking a look.
:hug:
Daphne

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Daphne, what a cutie!  And yeah, I suppose in a textbook sort of way that plaid background might be a "no no." But I think it adds a lot of warmth and charm and character to your picture and actually doesn't take away from your little guy at all.  So... NICE JOB on both bear and pic!

I have to tell you, I just today cut out a bear from some fur I washed and dyed multiple times and even without seeing it I had already decided to call it WUZZY because the fur ended up so, well, fuzzy!  Would you feel terribly ripped off if I kept to that plan?  I would understand if so.

I have never thought of felting mohair shavings.  I should save my brushings and scraps!  I have loads of them every time I make a bear!

Really clever and very cute!

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

Very cute Daphine! Love this little guy!
I say keep making them, although I applaud your patience to be able to felt that stuff. Way to slow for me.
Waste not, want not right? bear_tongue

rufnut Rufnut Teddy's
Victoria Australia

Cool Daph, he came out fantastic... :clap:

Ooopsss I should not assume fuzzy is a boy, please don't take offence.  :redface:

Marion Acid Attic Bears
Versailles

How cute ! The fuzzy look is just beautiful !  :hug:

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Shelli - Fuzzy and Wuzzy are such wonderfully perfect names for bears.... Fuzzy says he'd be honored to know there is a Potbelly Bear with his middle name! Besides, I know our bears will look absolutely nothing alike!!!  bear_grin

Lisa - Yes, he looks like a bear but he was just a fun thing to do on the side... when I need a break from bears I quilt or needlefelt. As I don't sell my felted bears I don't consider them real bear making! Yes, he certainly is a bear by the looks! I thought to myself many times while felting him that "Dryer lint must be easier than this!!  bear_original

By the time I was done putting him together I'd had enough so he's not as detailed as the needle felted ones I've made to date. Perhaps I'll go back to him at some point.... perhaps not! Ha! I was all thumbs trying to joint him!

Thanks for all your compliments (and encouragement, Heather!)!  bear_grin
Daphne

bearsbybeesley bears by beesley TM
Tofield Alberta Canada

Oh Daphne, he is adorable!

Many Hugs Louise

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

I think Fuzzy Wuzzy suits him very nicely....and how resourceful of you!  He is really cute and I agree with Shelli, the background doesn't hurt him one bit.

CUTE!

makafelts Charlotte Des Roches Designs
Adkins, Texas

Fuzzy Wuzzy is absolutey sweet...Very nice job!!! bear_wub

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Love him, Daphne . . . what a cutie!  Why don't you sell your needlefelted bears?

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Sue Ann,
I have no answer. I couldn't part with the first few I made. Then didn't really know what to sell them for. I see them go for pennies to $50 on eBay but don't want to send them off for $10 a piece just to get my name out there.... way too much time is involved and although I know we don't get all of our time back in money I'd like to get most of it as I do my mohair bears. So, there they sit. This one, I've decided, hubby is going to get with the quilt I made him as that fabric in the picture and the bow fabric is from his quilt.

I don't plan on becoming known as a needle felting artist... just like to do them once in a while.

Perhaps I should have you all PM me (not post here) and tell me what you'd honestly pay for one of my felties. Fuzzy isn't a good example so next time... then I'd have a better clue as to what to reasonably ask. Is that putting you all on the spot?????  bear_innocent

melissa Honeythorpe Bears
Wellington, New Zealand
Website

Daphne - I think fuzzy wuzzy is cute!  I can't needlefelt for two reasons - I am allergic to the wool but more importantly,  I suck at it!!!! bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin  so I have great admiration for those of you who can.

Totally understand your dilemma abot selling them - Mel (Newbearland) and I have talked about it on numerous occasions.  It's almost more crazily priced than mohair bears.

have FUN with the real bears too...

big hugs,
Melissa

Bonnie Mountain Dreamer Bears
wooly woods of Missouri, USA

He's wonderful Daphne! (and I think the plaid background is just right for him.)
:clap:  :clap:  :clap:

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

Daphne !!
Oh boy , he has your bear look !!  bear_laugh
He is very cute ! bear_flower

I never know that you can make a needlefelted bear !
I should save my mohair-hair also! bear_grin

Hugs/Marie

fredbear Fred-i-Bear
Johannesburg
Website
Sandi.S. Posts: 1,277

Fuzzy Wuzzy is really cute!  bear_wub

kathytaylor Ruby Mountain Bears
Northern Nevada, USA

The name just suits him, and as for the background I think it looks cute with him. gives him that homespun kind of feel.
kathy

Carolyn Green Draffin Bears
Auckland New Zealand
Website

Fuzzy Wuzzy is such a cute little Bear, Daphane.
You have really mastered theart of  neddlefelting well - Great job.

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

Thank you all!!  :hug:

Board footer