Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

suejennings TeddyBuys
Kent
Website

I dyed some mohair yellow a while back.  I was hoping for a nice, pale lemon but it is a 'knock your socks off' bright yellow. It has sat in my stash ever since.  Does anyone know if it could be over-dyed with another colour?  It is a lovely piece of mohair but I somehow doubt that I will use it 'as is'.

Regards

Sue

lovenshire Love and Cuddle Nursery
Missouri
Website

Rit has a color remover that works pretty well...do you think that would take out the yellow?

BeauT Bears BeauT Bears
Rotterdam

Hi Sue,

No personal experience on this specific problem, but perhaps the ColoRit Color Formula Guide can guide you through this colourful dilemma?
I know a bit about colours but you too probably have the basic knowledge like yellow + blue = green, yellow + red = orange, yellow + pink = peach / apricot / pale orange, shades all depending on how 'strong' the colours are that you are mixing.

Anyway, here's the link to the color formula guide of Rit    http://www.ritdye.com/colorit_color_formula_guide

Hope this will get you going the right way in the re-dyeing process.

Good luck! And keep us posted on the progress?

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

Hi Sue,  I have done this in the past too.  You can make a very mild bleach solution and lighten the dye up to a softer shade.  Try a little piece first.  I have done this with no ill effects on the mohair or the backing.   I have used the color remover, but it seems to lighten the color but really bring out the base color, which in your case is yellow. That is what you are trying to avoid.

Joanne

suejennings TeddyBuys
Kent
Website

Many thanks, all.

I will let you know how I get on!

Hugs

Sue

suejennings TeddyBuys
Kent
Website

I cut a small square out of the yellow mohair and soaked it for 5 minutes in dilute bleach and then rinsed ... and it is just what I want (a lovely pale lemon)...so I will treat the rest of the piece on Saturday, when I have time.  Many, many thanks, Joanne!

Little Bear Guy Little Bear Guy
Waterloo, Ontario

I like a bright piece of yellow mohair, I get disappointed when it comes out pale   bear_grin  bear_grin , hope it goes well for you .

Laura Lynn Teddy Bear Academy
Nicholasville, KY
Website

Laura Lynn Banner Sponsor

LOL Shane!!!   :crackup:

Board footer