Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

lovenshire Love and Cuddle Nursery
Missouri
Website

I have notice that Teddy bears have evolved from "Teddy  Bears" to cutesie little things. Is this because of the market or just the desire of the artist?  It is hard to find quality "Teddy Bears" anymore... Has anyone else had this discovery?

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

That's an interesting observation, Lenora. I'm wondering what constitutes a "teddy bear" for you, or what kinds of things aren't teddy bears? (besides the obvious bunnies and hedgehogs and such :))

Becky

HeidiBears florida

I agree with you Lenora that teddy bears have come a long way... but I think there might be several factors contributing to their change in appearance. The first I think being that we now have more resources available to us, back then when Margarete Steiff was making them she was probably was the only teddy bear maker of her time with perhaps a handful of other artists. This leads to the next thing which caused change which would be the internet... imagine with no teddy talk, no one organizing shows, no contact with other bear makers, peoples skills would have probably not developed nearly as much... or changed so drastically. Skills like pulled toes, sculpting noses, needle sculpting, shading, and probably many more I am missing do not seem to be apparent in the earlier bears.. I think that there ARE still quality bears out there though. When I compare my bears to this Steiff I notice similar shapes, the arm and leg shape looks nearly identical to my own, just that she did not put in paw pads but just sewed the feet up which gave the elf looking feet perhaps... and the embroidered mouth looks all to familiar as well. I think that many artists have taken time to learn their craft, and are dedicated to making good quality bears that will last generations... we just have not seen them age so beautifully as the Steiffs and Deans because we have not given them the time. Most likely too certain techniques have become "fads" but these details may be just what marks our generations.. the internet has probably helped there too, if one artist sees a bear online that they like or detail they may try to mimic it in their own work.

cutsie_things.jpg

Missouri
Website

I agree with you Heidibears...There are so many skills now that you have so many more avenues open to you.  Some of the realistic bears look like they have just been stuffed by taxidermy.  I just still like to see a "Teddy Bear" once in awhile and there are still some out there.
Dangerbears, to me a "Teddy Bear" is based on the proportions of a real bear but very cuddly and frendly I guess.  The tiny, tiny bears amaze me but a teddy bear to me must first of all be cuddly.  I see a child holding it and telling all her secrets to it.  I may not be a child but in my distressed times I like to cuddle my bears too...I would like to have one tiny bear to carry in my pocket when I feel the need but I just cannot make anything that tiny...not that kind of talent or eyesight I guess...Ha!

busserbears Busser Bears
Elkhart, Indiana

I think the economy has a lot to do with this...the more creative creations usually cost more...plus you have to be in a good frame of mind to create, and with all the dismal news, it's a bit tough to do.  Some of you may be familiar with my bears and critters/dragons in the past.  Along with the economy, my life has done a complete 180, moved to Indiana, got remarried, have 4 dogs.  Now I little time or even the interest in creating.  It's also depressing to put lots of effort into pieces, go to shows and find you sell little...plus the expense of doing it.   I used to fly several times a year..but with the change in charging for checked in bags-there's no way you can make any money...and as much as we do it for the love of doing it, that does not pay the bills.
Hate to be a bummer of bad tidings, but these are just my feelings...

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

Good points from everyone. I had to think about Lenora's question a bit, and I guess you all know that I lean toward the classic teddy bears myself. But today I had the pleasure of perusing a wide range of creations at Daphne's online show, and I guess it's the innovativeness of the artists themselves that is driving the evolution - and certainly it's the Internet that is giving us so much access to different ideas and techniques.

I have to say that I enjoyed all the variety I saw at the show today - from nostalgic vignettes (e.g. bears with old-fashioned toys) to dressed bears, and of course some kitties and other critters as well. There seemed to be something for everyone (definitely more to sift through this way, but it's kind of fun to me :)).

Becky

Missouri
Website

I agree Dangerbears, it is so fun to look through all the new bears but when it comes to my hug...I love the classics!  I am still wanting to own one of your bears...

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website
Lenora wrote:

I love the classics!  I am still wanting to own one of your bears...

Awww...Thanks very much, Lenora. :hug:  :hug:  :hug:

Becky

New Avenue Crew New Avenue Crew by Debora Hoffmann
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Website

I love the classics, myself, Lenora, and that's the majority of what I create (and have collected). But like you, Becky, I really enjoyed perusing all the different bears and other animals at the online show this weekend. There is so much on offer, so many different beary personalities represented. One of my current favorites in my own hug is a Little Floppy by Tami Eveslage. I wouldn't say he's traditional, but I love his posability, his sweet, sweet face, and how he nestles into my hands. I think for me it's always the face first.  bear_smile

Good discussion!
~Debora

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

I also think that they are getting smaller due to space that collectors have to display.  The teddies from my youth are not the traditional straw stuffed bears that I really do love.  I was born in the 1960, so my teddy was a big manufactured cuddly teddy.  There are also some very nice manufactured ones out there these days which may be another reason why many artists are steering more towards bears that are more of a shelf decoration.

I do notice that the traditional bear makers are getting less and less.  Bears are geared more to look either old, vintage and worn out, or new and contemporary.  But I can certainly still think of a few good traditional bear makers.  It is probably good that there are not too many, like anything it is easier to sell something that is harder to find.

As for me, it is my desire to push the limits of what I can do with all the bells and whistles.   I like playing with all of the add ons.  As far as the market goes, I think I am kind of in the same boat as the traditional bear makers, there are not a whole lot of people who add leather to the paws and claws etc.  Those things are not for everyone, but for those that do like them it leaves less choices.

Joanne

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

There are very few who go to the extent that you do Joanne. I 'd like to think that they'd become discouraged by the amount of time it takes to develop the skills, as yours are pure masterful, . and just as well, as I'd hate to see a lot of - in the words of your fellow Arizonian, Sandy C- pure *shlock* work out there, competing with yours!

Bloomsburg, PA

Thank you Bobbie, you are very kind.

Joanne

New Avenue Crew New Avenue Crew by Debora Hoffmann
Colorado Springs, Colorado
Website

I am in awe of Joanne's bears. Gorgeous work, so well done. bear_wub

Conni Germany

It is important for me that the bears look in the heart. The love and care of the artist must spread to me.

I hope, my creatures also do this.

ThomasAdam Thomas Adam
Southampton
Website
desertmountainbear wrote:

I do notice that the traditional bear makers are getting less and less.  Bears are geared more to look either old, vintage and worn out, or new and contemporary.

I do hope such traditional bear makers don't completely disappear; otherwise, as a collector, I wouldn't be able to collect teddy bears anymore.  :)

-- Thomas Adam

Missouri
Website
Bloomsburg, PA

I can't imagine that they ever will.  As long as there is a person on this earth in need of comfort and a good cuddle they will be there waiting.

wubbiebear Braille Teddies
Murfreesboro, Tennessee

Wow, I have to weigh in on this topic.  I'm one of those people who love soft, fuzzy bears that you can cuddle.  It seems like in the world of artist bears everybody focuses on what the bears look like, but sometimes I wish people would walk through a bear show with their eyes closed so they could see the bear the way I do.  Or maybe I'm just weird.  BTW, I don't know about traditional bears, but I think my bears that I make are definitely teddy bears.

K Pawz Creations K Pawz Creations
Victoria BC

I think there are still lots of awesome traditional bear artists out there. For me i guess it it artist preference because I like to create realism, and try to push each time to get that life like look, so that is where my creations go. The collectors that follow my work like the realism too. The more realistic the more they like it. As far as it being like taxidermy that is like comparing apples and oranges.
I am glad that there has been so much evolution, if we all created the same thing or all collectors like the same thing I think it would be very boring. Like they say different strikes for different folks.

Hugs
Krista

Missouri
Website

Perhaps if all the new things had been available "back when" the bears then would have been different.  I was looking through a lot of back issues of magazines and two things caught my attention.  One was a little bear with a tiny black dog pulling down her bathing suit bottoms.  Her little bottom was all pale (no tan there).  Reminded me of when I worked at Coppertone.  The other thing that really struck me was a beautiful bear and the artist stated that it was huge and she was not used to making such huge bears.  I kept reading until I found out how big this brusier was...12 inches!  I don't think I have ever made one that small...

All Bear All Bear by Paula
Kent
Website

Well this classic bear maker certainly isn't going anywhere!  bear_tongue

AutumnDays.jpg
In case you're wondering, these bears range from 13" to a significant 25"!

In my view, the beauty of bear design is that it can take you wherever you want to go ... classic, contemporary, realistic, cute, funny, traditional, vintage ... the teddy world is a bearmaker's oyster!  bear_original  bear_thumb

Missouri
Website

Oh, All Bear, I am in love with your bears.  They are perfect whatever size they are. My favorite is the middle one in the sweater vest.  He looks like he would be so loveable.

I agree with you.  Each person is entitled to love his or her bears in their own way.  Just because I love more traditional bears doesn't mean someone else can't love real character bears.  I can see the artist in all of them and I love looking at them!

enchantmentsart Feather Heart Creations
TX

Well when it comes to mass produced bears I would say yeah the quality is going down because most companies are cutting cost.  But then companies like Steiff and Merry Thoughts and others still make wonderful traditional bears!  I found a Gund the other day that was so cute & very traditional, it almost looked like a Steiff ^_^

When it comes to artist bears I think everyone has their own style, but I'm sure some people make what sales too.  As an artist you might find that if you make a small change to your "style" and it sales better then you go with it LOL.  If not for the internet and shows I'm sure my bears would look nothing like they do, but I feel I'm still developing my style on my bears, because I haven't made as many as say like my Dragon Flutters.

wubbiebear Braille Teddies
Murfreesboro, Tennessee

What do you mean by "the quality has gone down"?

Missouri
Website

Jessie, she is talking about mass produced bears.  Companies are trying to cut cost anyway they can.  One way I know is to use inferior materials and another is to use cheap labor such as in China.

Board footer