Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

suejennings TeddyBuys
Kent
Website

I wondered if anyone was aware if there is any method to avoid the card in carded feet from moving.  I use a very thick card in the feet of my standing character bears, then stuff firmly, and they seem to stay put, but if there is a better way, I would be pleased to know. 

Regards

Sue

rowarrior The Littlest Thistle
Glasgow

The only carding I can think of is carding wool, so I'm probably not much help here!  Are you just trying to get the bears to stand?

lovenshire Love and Cuddle Nursery
Missouri
Website

I be sure to make the card fit just inside the seam line and it never moves.  If I don't get it inside that seam it will move on me.

rkr4cds Creative Design Studio (RKR4CDS)
suburban Chicago

any method to avoid the card in carded feet from moving

Have you actually ever had this happen or just *borrowing trouble*? i.e., heard that it might and are hoping to avoid it in all eventualities before it could occur and need to redo the whole leg.

Does the cardstock fit exactly inside the sewing line, butting up tightly against the selvedges?
Or is this a foot pad material 'dimensional', like needle-sculpted or have trapunto work, so that it's not flat itself?

What are the dimensions of the foot pad?
Very large feet would need a more reinforced pad than a smaller one (a 4" x 8" foot pad over a 2½" x 5" pad)
In what way do you anticipate them moving?

Just thinking out loud here - - as a miniaturist I'd never used them in my fabric bears but I could see a possibility of them buckling outward with over-stuffing. Or getting ripply if the feet ever were exposed to dampness and the cardstock absorbed the moisture.

Hmmm - - - perhaps other who make standard to over-sized bears might have suggestions.
There are many considerations that would help others answer your question so anything you could provide as guidance would help.
I'm just thinking out loud here - of establishing what you've already done, as background work in the meanwhile.

suejennings TeddyBuys
Kent
Website

Many thanks, Katy, Lenora and Bobbie.  I haven't had a problem thus far, but have noticed some slight movement on some vintage bears in my collection ie. my old Steiff Teddy Baby.  I use very thick card cut with a craft knife to the same dimensions as the sewing line on the paw pads.  I just wondered if anyone knew of a method of ensuring the card cannot move.  In actual fact, looking again at my dear Teddy Baby, it looks like the felt pad was designed fit snug at the back and larger at the front to give a lip of felt around the front of the foot...not sure if this was meant to happen or the result of dodgy sewing?

Regards

Sue

Gabriele~GJOYfulBears GJOYful Bears

I have only created two bears with flat feet and I did not use card. I used to plastic the first time, and then someone suggested wood but I did not sell the bear with wood in it's feet as if it got wet it would not be too good. I'm also unsure about the plastic but I did pad the edges of the plastic so not to tear into the feet or be sharp through the feet. I sold the bear to a collector who keeps her bears in a glass cabinet and rarely touches them so I believe he will be OK, but I'm still unsure what is the best material to put in the feet. I want to make my bears safe and durable as much as possible ~ so this post is very interesting to me. Thanks for asking the question it's been interesting reading the answers.

gugu"s teddies gugu;s teddies
durban

Hi Ladies
Heres how i do my foot pads,long winded but it works,for large bears cut a thick card to size of sew line once inserted into foot i then put in thin piece of batting,i then put steel shot in muslin ,then another thin piece of batting on top then fill up tightly with stuffing ,you cant see the layers if you fill up with tiny pieces of filling try it and let me know how you feel
Best of luck
Paula

Donna Donna's Duin Bruins
Burbank, CA

Years ago I read an artist and I don't remember who it was put the card stock or plastic in a muslin foot pad.  It was made just slightly smaller than the actual foot pad.  The pouch with the card stock had the seam on the outside.  This seam was then tacked to the seam of the actual foot pad.  This method made it impossible for the card stock to shift.  I tried it once years ago after reading it and it worked fine.

suejennings TeddyBuys
Kent
Website

Thanks very much Donna and Paula.  I will certainly try Donna's method.  It sounds just what I have been looking for!

Regards

Sue

Board footer