Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

bearlyart Canna Bear Paint
NY

I thought it would be a really interesting conversation to find where people get their bear-making inspiration from.  For me, inspiration can come from anywhere.  I've been known to be talking about something else entirely, and suddenly have to stop to write down an entirely new idea about a bear (it happened twice yesterday).  The world around me is inspirational, too.  My mother's endless creative talents are ALWAYS an inspiration to me.  Even my dog's expressive amber eyes are an inspiration, if I could ever capture those in a bear I know the result would be exquisite.  Other artists also influence us.  One of my favorites is Sue Yale, whose creative approach to mini bears makes me smile!  This is my favorite bear that she's done, a happy little fellow called Hot Fudge Sundae:

http://sueyale.com/HOTFUDGESUNDAEWEBPAGE.htm

I know in the last month or so, my mother and I have been tickled with the thought that we may be inspirational to some degree.  We introduced the concept of a 'heart panda' back in 2004, a bear where the panda patch of fur on their belly was in the shape of a heart.  Recently in November, one of our heart pandas was listed successfully on eBay, this little mink bear:

cecil.jpg

A month later, we started to see other bears with heart patches on their belly.  And now in January, they seem to be absolutely everywhere!  This must be what is feels like to start a trend, LOL!  bear_happy  But it really has been interesting to see each person's interpretation of a single idea, and with the exponential amount of bears with a heart on their tummy that we've been seeing lately, we're thinking we'll be seeing them for a long time to come!  Well, more power to anyone who wants to try their hand at an idea because it appeals to them, so bring 'em on and we'd love to see your unique 'heart bear', too   bear_original

So that brings the question (after a long-winded introduction)... who or what in the world inspires your bears?

Bear hugs,
Kelly

lbbears Wind Lake. Wisconsin

Wow Kelly,
First time I saw this beautiful bear.  I am doing a pattern with a heart in the chest. It is 4 pieces, then I cut the cut shape out of one front side, reversed it, then I took the heart shape I cut out, placed on fold of a different color fabric and sewed in the front heart opening.  However looking at yours, I have long long long way to go.  Your bear is abosultely stunning bear_thumb
Laurie

bearlyart Canna Bear Paint
NY

Good for you, Laurie!  It's not the easiest thing in the world, that's really great that you're taking on the challenge and it sounds like you're doing a good job of it!  I hope you'll post a photo of your bear when it's all done so we can all enjoy him (her?)!
bear_original

Hugs,
Kelly

WildThyme Wild Thyme Originals
Hudson, Ohio

Hi there!  I think I talked about this before on here... so just tune me out if I am droning on about my inspiration box!!!!!  When I see anything I like, whether its a paint chip, a swatch of fabric, beads, poems, quotes, pictures of children.... whatever.... I put it into this large file box I have in the studio.  When I am feeling a bit "lost" inspiration-wise, I just go to the box and see what's there.  Generally I come up with a color scheme, or a feeling, or an idea that speaks to me at that particular moment, I jot it down in a little journal I have and then I'm off! 

Beary truly ours,
Kim Basta
Wild Thyme Originals

Shelli SHELLI MAKES
Chico, California
Website

Shelli Retired Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

What DOESN'T inspire me?  I was at a Gallery the other day and found inspiration in the watercolor paintings there ... the calm, soft colors in an article in Martha Stewart LIVING... my kitties always inspire me... the work of other artists, which I keep in a folder on my desktop and consult from time to time... vintage drawings and toys and clothing... children and babies; their faces and expressions... cartoon characters...  The list just goes on and on.

Deb Upstate New York

Books (stories).  I especially like hanging out at Barnes & Noble.  Other artists to be sure!  People watching (head out to the mall or to WalMart).

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

I walked past a Mabel Lucie Attwell bedtime story book on a stand at a fair...I kept looking at it..thinking that the clothes she'd drawn on the little characters show just how I like my bears to look.
I am always inspired by my dogs..and cats....my baby grand-daughters inspired the chubby cheeks I now do. Hairdo's that I do in the salon...bits of fabric, flowers, jewellery...the squirrel that runs along my fence every morning has finally inspired me to make one...

Oh, loads of things....it never ends....it's good job really!!!!

Densteds Densteds
Website

Gosh Jenny, you brought back memories, I still have two Mabel Lucie Attwell books I got them from "Santa" in the 1950's and every now & again I still look through them...they were wonderful children's books....

I mostly get pictures of bears in my head just before I drop off to sleep...I know I should get up and write them down but I'm usually too tired after having tried to think something up all day  :doh:  :doh:  :doh:

hugs,
Denise.

kbonsall Kim-Bee Bears
Pennsylvania

You gals give me inspiration... I also get inspiration from dreams... I have strange dreams sometimes... LOL... I also will glance through my ribbons and glass beads and things and sometimes that will get the wheels turning bear_original

Daphne Back Road Bears
Laconia, NH USA

A little quilt shop I went into recently inspired a new design.. it was the decor and atmosphere of the place! Now if I can just get that bear out of my head and onto fur!!!

Driving.... I'm forever coming up with bear ideas while driving. I even came up with a bear idea while driving and listening to the Indigo Girls yesterday! THAT will be an interesting bear!!!

The BEARS FOR SALE & SHOWCASE forums....

My neighbor's kids...

My bear making supplies and accessories. Oh yes, we did discuss this, didn't we Kim B.? I thought your paint chips sounded familiar! It's all coming back to me now! I mentioned that CLEANING my sewing room was inspiration and Dilu didn't like the idea of cleaning. But it's what I'm doing when inspiration hits so that's good enough for me!  bear_grin

melissa Honeythorpe Bears
Wellington, New Zealand
Website

I mostly get pictures of bears in my head just before I drop off to sleep...I know I should get up and write them down but I'm usually too tired after having tried to think something up all day

I was just the same but I have now perfected the art of writing legibly in the dark while half asleep (it took a while) and keep a notebook by my bed.  I have a mind like a seive.

I keep two notebooks - one with ideas of mine and my poor attempts at drawing, one with pictures of bears and other stuff that inspires me.

I have too many ideas but they simmer away on the back burner and eventually come to fruition.

Sifting through my mohair box inspires me, as does playing with my ribbons and charms and beads and things.

fredbear Fred-i-Bear
Johannesburg
Website

Mohair fabrics, South Sea quilting fabrics, all my travelling which allows me to see such a variety of bears, and then of course just to be caught up in the wonderful world of TeddyTalk , being able to share not just teddy bear related items, but other things that touch the heart.
bear_thumb
Lynette

kimkc Australia

jewellery, gemstones, fabrics, dreams, my pets, flowers, friends, books, music. For me its everywhere bear_original

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

I wake up in the middle of the night thinking about how to make something...I end up getting up.....not last night though...I slept like a log!!!!

Cleathero Creations Cleathero Creations
Ripley, Queensland

a word, something I see hear or even small.
Everywhere.  i carry a notenook with me to jot ideas down.

psichick78 Flying Fur Studios
Calgary, Alberta, Canada

I keep an art journal. If I get an idea, or see something I like, I write it or sketch in in my book. Although, Kims idea of a box, is great too. I think I'm gonna start one.

I'm also like Shelli, I get my inspiration from EVERYWHERE!! But my main sources are my animals, like alot of us it looks like. They just have the cutest faces and I would also love to capture their eyes. One day......

Oh, and of course other artists always inspire me, and push me to get better.

lbbears Wind Lake. Wisconsin

My inspriation is really all of you. Your bears are so fantastic and it makes me want to someday be able to be as good as you all.

I agree with Erin, I also get my inspiration from all of you  :hug:
Laurie

Board footer