Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes
Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca

Barling Bears Barling Bears
Nr. Maidstone, Kent
Website

Hi Everyone, bear_flower

Well, it seems that I am finding myself nail-scratchingly-on-the-pavement being sucked towards that dreadful big hole that drains you of all senses and spare time .......  yes ....... Facebook!! :crackup:

I've tried SO hard to resist it, I really have, in fact I've been pretty proud of myself for not having anything to do with it  :clap: ...   well ..... up until now! 

After a discussion with a lovely artist about Facebook the other day at Hugglets, I decided I would "give it a go".  So the other night I nervously went to start the dreaded proceedings and join the wretched thing. But I failed at the first hurdle!  Hooray! :dance:

As I only want it on a bear business footing, it seems I need to start a "page" first of all but when I looked at the 6 possible sections where you can choose a category for yourself, I didn't know what to choose!  I have be noting what other people have been listing themselves as, some say "Artist" but that section seems to be to be for Bands and people in entertainment.  A couple have said "Community" but that means charities and other worthy causes to me not bearing, some have chosen "local business", but I've no idea what the majority of beary people on Facebook have chosen, especially those where they want to keep Facebook on a business basis.  Do I choose "Local Businesses or Place", "Company .." or "Brand/Product".  In each of the six sections, there are numerous categories but none seem to cover arty/crafty things or bear making/designing, so I was wondering what other people have chosen and why?

Does it really matter one iota where you categorise yourself at the very beginning, can you amend it if you think you've put yourself in the "wrong place"?

What am I letting myself in for now ......  bear_grin

I'm happy to wait for replies for another six months ...  I'm in absolutely NO hurry to join ......!!   :crackup:

Hugs to all .....   guess I may see you on Facebook then!!  bear_grin

Marilyn x bear_flower

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

I think I am in it as artist.  And you can always change it.  It is not written in stone.
Facebook is a good free promotional tool.  I don't think you will be sorry.
Don't forget to let us know so we can go and "like" your page.

Joanne

Coraleen DallyMay Teddies
Secunda, South Africa

Yes Marylin, please let us know when you have created your page.  Hugs  bear_flower

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

My page is also called an artist's page, but I don't think it has anything to do with functionality or people finding you. (Facebook has other ways of making sure we all get connected. :D)

I really don't find it time-consuming, and I hope it goes smoothly for you, too.

Becky

Nr. Maidstone, Kent
Website

Thank you so much Joanne, Coraleen and Becky.  It's nice to know that whatever I choose is deletable! (is that a word??)

I usually just stick to my website and here on TT so I'm always a bit apprehensive of putting myself "out there", which is why I have managed to
hold out for so long from not using FB.   Such a shame though that there isn't a category for what I would like to call myself!!  bear_grin
Hugs to all,

Marilyn bear_flower

rowarrior The Littlest Thistle
Glasgow

I think I'm there as a local business, but as Becky says, it makes absolutely no odds lol

Gabriele~GJOYfulBears GJOYful Bears

Marilyn, I have also been so proud of myself for years and years for not joining FB! But alas when I have time I will be building a page for my bears. This is also at the advice of another artist I know quite well as she says her business has really taken off since being there ~ so I'm giving in too LOL.

I know exactly how you feel about not working out how to join properly ~ I was glad when I couldn't properly join (too confusing lol) as it meant I was still not on FB and keeping the promise to myself lol!!! However as soon as I work it out I will be joining....

Don't feel bad I think it's quite fair to want to promote your bears on one of the biggest free promoting tools available....

peterbear Boechout, Antwerp

"If you can't beat them, join 'em!"  bear_laugh

I am certainly no expert on FB, but as Joanne wrote: if you just want to promote your teddy bear business, I think most of teddy bear makers have chosen "artist".
For example: "Dangerbears" "Back Road Bears", "Hugs Unlimited", "New Avenue Crew", "Joanne Livingston's Desertmountainbear", etc...

The main difference is that "business" pages can be "liked" by people (the famous "thumbs up"), but don't have any "friends".

I don't think you need worry about spending too much time on FB: if you only want to promote your bears, that is fine. 
There are several independent pages as well where you can post your bears (e.g. "One of a Kind and limited edition Teddy Bears" ).

Let us know when your page is up and running and we will certainly "LIKE" it!  bear_thumb

Hugs,  :hug:

Peter & the bears

Gabriele~GJOYfulBears GJOYful Bears

I agree that my worry is that I will get too carried away designing things to put on the page and end up spending too much time there as all those kind of places are addictive lol. I don't need to spend less time making bears than I already do hence I personally have not taken the plunge (that and I haven't worked out how to join properly yet lol). I think everyone wishes there was either more time to make bears or that making bears took less time.

By the way I will "like" your page even if I am not on FB at the time you launch your page!!

lovenshire Love and Cuddle Nursery
Missouri
Website

I refuse FB because so many friends I know have had their computers "killed" by it.  I just had to replace my old computer and believe me it is not cheap so I want to protect it at all cost...

Bloomsburg, PA
lovenshire wrote:

I refuse FB because so many friends I know have had their computers "killed" by it.  I just had to replace my old computer and believe me it is not cheap so I want to protect it at all cost...

I have learned not to click on anything that is sent to me like "so and so featured you in a video"  Just like I don't open links that people send me through email unless I know that they are safe.  I have never had any problem with viruses.  I have friends that have, again because they clicked on links.

Joanne

Nr. Maidstone, Kent
Website

Thank you Katy, Gabriele, Peter, Lenora and Joanne for your comments.

Peter said

The main difference is that "business" pages can be "liked" by people (the famous "thumbs up"), but don't have any "friends".

Does this mean that with business pages you are not involved with "circles" or whatever they are called, where people know who your "friends" are?
Maybe I'm getting things a bit mixed up.  I don't really want my computer filled up with messages telling me that "so and so" has left you a message etc.  I had this once before on a forum and used to get pretty fed up with logging on etc only to find that the comment would say "LOL" or something to that equivalent!  Really annoying!

I hadn't thought about viruses either, mmmmm, the more I hear about this the more unsure I become again.  bear_wacko
Decisions, decisions, decisions ...

I wonder if anyone has taken the plunge and gone onto Facebook only to regret it later?

Thank you for your input.

Hugs

Marilyn bear_flower

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website
Marilyn wrote:

Does this mean that with business pages you are not involved with "circles" or whatever they are called, where people know who your "friends" are?
Maybe I'm getting things a bit mixed up.  I don't really want my computer filled up with messages telling me that "so and so" has left you a message etc.

You're exactly right, Marilyn. Some bear artists only have a personal page, however, so I'm "friends" with them via my personal account because I enjoy seeing their work.

In either case, you can use your account settings to say which notifications (if any) you want to receive via email.

Becky

Nr. Maidstone, Kent
Website

Thank you Becky for that.  Maybe it is helpful to have a business page plus a personal page too then.  Food for thought.

I think I will probably try for the business page first of all, become more acquainted with how FB works, then maybe work my way into a personal page
if I am happy with what I have discovered.

Bloomsburg, PA

I think if you only have a fan page you can like other pages.  So you can "like" the bear artists site and then list your bears for sale too.  Since you will have no "friends" you will not have to worry about other peoples clutter.  So I would not worry about viruses.  It also means though that you will not be able to see or comment on other peoples pages unless they allow commenting and viewing from anyone, which is pretty much what I do.

You are really able to fine tune what you want and what you don't.  I rarely receive any emails because I choose not to.
Don't be afraid, it really is what you make it.  I have sold bears right off of facebook.

Joanne

Nr. Maidstone, Kent
Website

Thank you Joanne

I must say that when I first read your first two sentences, I was completely lost!  Fan pages, where did they come from?   bear_grin  I hadn't heard that before, plus I didn't realise quite what this "liking" business was all about, I just thought that it meant you liked what someone had written, but now find that it can mean far more.

I have also now found out (by wasting too much time on Google!) that once you choose a category for an "official page",(?) you cannot change it apparently.  I also think that "community" pages mean something a little different to what I originally thought, but still not sure what exactly!  There must be a good reason why some choose that way to go.

Thank you to everyone who has replied to my ramblings, but I know  that I am not the only one out there who is unsure about this Facebook business so hope it is helping others too to take that leap!

Hugs

Marilyn bear_flower

Bloomsburg, PA

I think things have changed about not being able to change your pages catagory.  There has been a lot of changes.  I started as local business.  Now I am artist.  The thing you can not change is the name of your page, so choose it carefully.

Joanne

kellydean k e l l y d e a n & c o m p a n y
Narrowsburg, New York
Website

my mother is 78 and has been on Facebook for years.  trust me, if she can do it, you can

WoozieJu Woozie Ju Bears
North Walsham
Website

Hi flower!
Long time no speak?!
I can't profess to know much about FB. I only have my personal page which I find hideously addictive & spend far too much time catching up with old friends which has been absolutely brilliant. I haven't had any problems at all with virus' etc as I don't click on links or whatever either.
I say go for it!  bear_grin If you don't like it or change your mind I think it's very easy to delete yourself.
Hope to see you at Sheffield?
Love & Hugs,
Julia x

smdogs gone to the dogs/sm dog designs
Kansas City Missouri
Website

I am on facebook with just a personal account, but it is for my bears as well. You just have to send me a friend request for me to accept. I wanted it to be a personal account, mainly because I had no idea at the time I set it up what I was doing. So far it has worked out very well. Everything is all in one place.

So my account is for my family, friends and bears!!!!!!!

Carlyle Bear Co. Carlyle Bear Co.
Ft Myers FL

I still refuse to get on FB!   bear_tongue  I just don't have any interest in it.  I didn't know that you could have a business page where you wouldn't end up with people you went to school with 20 years ago "friending" you.  That I might be interested in.  I'm not sure why I have such a prejudice against it really.  Maybe one day....

Board footer