Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

NancyAndFriends Posts: 1,153

Judi, I am posting this in General because I think you are more likely to see it there.

I am airbrushing this morning and not having a fun experience.
I used to airbrush ceramics...so I am pretty familiar with how it should look....and this isn't it.

Equipment I am using:

Paasche Airbrush
It came with all sorts of goodies....I have the H set if you are familiar with it.

Problem:

For some reason the spray is coming out splattery (is that a word?) .  In other words instead of a soft even spray, there are small blotches appearing too.  Like the effect you get if you use a toothbrush and paint to do spatter work, not that bad, but you get the idea.

What I have done:

I mixed my acrylic paint very well with some water to get a good consistency.
I have adjusted the tip from broad to fine and still get the same thing.
I have tried three  different paints.  Americana and FolkArt and Plaid

What I am feeling:

Grrrrrrrr

What I am hoping:

That you have the answer Judi....HELP Please.

:hug:
Nancy

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Until Judi logs on here's my idea,

I also have the Paasch H series, Judi recommended it.

I would take the unit apart and make sure no little tiny piece of dried on paint lingered....make sure everything is absolutely clean and spotless.....in the spray head.....

good luck, so frustrating!

good luck

dilu

I will do that Dilu...thank you so much for the suggestion and thanks for responding.  I was afraid it would end up on page 2  bear_grin .  You have kept it 'alive'.

I used the airbrush several months ago and I ran it til it ran clean and then continued to run it.  But I will take it apart and see what is the matter.
I have two other spray applicator tips that came with the set H3 and H5...those have never been used.

Do you know Dilu, if those are for fine work or where on the scale of braod to fine, would they register?

I am working on a mini bear and wanted to do some work on his face as I have made a long muzzle that has been plucked.  I want a very good coverage of paint on the plucked area and then to fade out as it gets higher.  So it needs to be pretty fine work.

Thanks ever so much,
Nanc........

Tammy Beckoning Bears
Nova Scotia
Website

Nancy, I'm not Judi and I have limited experience with airbrushing.  But, the same thing was happening to me whe I took Judi's online class and she  suggested( I think it was her !)  straining the paint with nylons over a bottle.  The dark paints like brown can have lots of small paint pigment fragments ??? that can clog the airbrush.  Also as Dilu suggested cleaning the brush might help.  Good luck.  I have the same airbrush as you and it works great.

Thank you Tammy...that is a great suggestion too.  I didn't strain the paint at all, just mixed and mixed but I didn't think about straining it.

I love this airbrush too...it has always done a fabulous job before.  Well, the mess is still on my kitchen counter...I think I will go try everyones suggestions.

nanc....

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

HI!!  I have been batteling with my computer  aaaarrrrggghhhh .  I am having  The Computer Guy coming tomorrow  to fix it.  YAY!

Okay Nancy,  I can help you here.  So far, Tammy and Dilu have given very good advice.  It is so important that your paints are not only thinned down, which it sounds like you already know this, and are properly strained.  In many cases straining is not necessary but if you are having sputtering it could mean:

1.)  Your paint is clogging.  This can be fixed by taking apart your airbrush and cleaning it in warm soapy water.  Also , using a pipe cleaner will really get the paint particles out of the tip, so I recommend this too.

2.)  Your paints may be old.  Freash paint works the best.

3.)  sputtering often happens when your pressure is not high enough.  What source of air are you using?  If you are using a CO2 Tank , then it may be runnin gout.  If you are using an air compressor then check the water trap , it may not be working.  ALso check the pressure guage.  You want to work between around 25 to 35 PSI.  I find very good results at 28 PSI on a CO2 tank.
If you are using a Propell can of air....throw it away!  and use a CO2 tank or air compressor.

I hope this helps.  If not PLEASE let me know and we can trouble shoot some more.  I/m always happy to help. bear_original

Dilu Posts: 8,574

Tammy

What a great idea-straining it using ol nylons....I don't remember hearing that one before.

Nancy,

I would experiment using your different heads to determine what is fine enough for you.  Doing minis  i am truly humbled.  I would have chickened out.....and used a brush....

let us know how things work out for you.....

dilu

Judi..thank you for responding, sorry to hear about your computer problems too.
I am using a Paasche Air Equipment.  It says on the top of the little compressor "Profit with Paasche Air Equipment.
I think you are thinking I am bigger than I am.  There are no gauges or psi's...just a little air compressor that sits on the cunter.  It has worked fine up until now.  I think I will clean its tip apart and try to clean it.

Dilu...I think I will try the other tips as well...good idea.  Maybe that will also tell me if my other tip is clogged.

Tammy...we used to have to strain the ceramic paints all the time.  They are really cloggy.

Thank you gals so much for your help...I will try each suggestion and post my results OR frustrations.
Nancy

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Yes Tammy that's right.  I use nylons to strain paint.  It works very well as the darker colors like umber and burnt umber tend to be more gritty and work much smoother through the airbrush if they are strained first.

Let us know how things work out for you Nancy. :dance:

Yippeee...it worked !

Her is what I did.

I cleaned the tip and yes, it had some residue in it.  I thought by running the water thru it til it came clean, that it's 'nose was blown'...but evidently it needs some physical scrubbing.

Next, I strained the paint thru a knee high and WOW...it is the old air brush I knew and loved.

Thank you so much gals,
I will be listing my little airbrused mini shortly.

Love this group  :hug:   always there to help one another!

Nanc.......

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

Glad things worked out for you Nancy.   :dance:  :dance:

Every time you use your airbrush you should take it apart and clean it by hand.  Well worth the effort. :dance:   I look forward to seeing your little critter bear_original

Board footer