Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

kim "a bear by kim"
merseyside

pastie005-1.jpghellloo, i wondered if anyone could help, i sold a bear last week to a lady in germany, his name is pastie, he arrived yetserday only she "HATEs" HIM, she doesnt like the way he has been jointed (tightly with cotterpins) says his head is too small and doesnt like the expression of his eyes .
she was emailing me yesterday but i hadnt been on since yesterday morning and  there was quite a few emails when i did get on today, each one sounding more and more angry, iv emailed her this morning saying that im sorry she doesnt like the bear and that i will refund her.
she is posting him 2moro.
now my question is..... do i refund postage which was £17.99 signed small packet?
my other question, i think she is expecting a refund now, do i wait until the bear is back with me before refunding which is what i would prefer to do?
if so does anyone know of a way i can state this politely without offending as this lady makes me feel as though i have conned her into buying a bear which in my opinion is a very good quality bear which i spent a lot of time working on. i dont want to make her any more irate  or that im trying to rip her off in anyway.

thank you in advance xxx

Gabriele~GJOYfulBears GJOYful Bears

Wow Kim..... that's awful. I nearly bought Pastie because he's gorgeous and I'm sure he is regardless of what this lady says - how awful. I'd be in tears if I got an email like that.

Firstly, I wouldn't refund postage - most ebay sellers and bear pile sellers don't refund postage. Also, DO NOT refund until you get the bear back - she could end up keeping the bear and her refund if you do that.

I can't imagine why anyone wouldn't love one of your bears.... how truly awful to have to go through that.

Bear hugs to you and I hope everything gets sorted out without any more complaints.... When you get Pastie back give him big hugs from me too. Are you going to re-sell him?

kim "a bear by kim"
merseyside

thanks Gabrielle... i was a bit upset... i didnt cry or anything, just abit down that she didnt like him she seemed quite disgusted that i let her buy him .
i dont think i will be putting him on bear pile or anything, i had a few people enquire about him before so i have let them know the situation, i might take him the the great yorkshire teddy bear event next month as he really is a lovely little bear and due to his little mis-hap his new mum or dad could actualy view him in the fur... i feel sorry for the little fellow too x

Conni Germany

How terribly!
Your bear is miraculous. One must love him.

Is there no regulation for taking back with Bearpile?

Which enterprise wants to take them for the return? Absolutely the registration number ask.

I hope, there can be a good arrangement. :hug:

Lhearn Critters Creations
Alberta
Website

Kim he is a wonderful bear. bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub No refund on the shipping and do not refund the money for him until you have him back in your hands safe and sound!

Conni Germany

I also think in such a way!

I cannot understand such buyers.

kim "a bear by kim"
merseyside

thanks ladies xxx sold another bear, very similar to pastie,his name is filo, lady recieved him today... was worried about that one because of pastie but shes just sent me the most lovely email and cheered me up no end!

Stuffed Lincolnshire

Sorry to hear about what happened with Pastie, he's beautiful and that lady ought to have been more polite about it even if she wasn't satisfied....and I really don't see how someone could 'hate' a bear...her attitude is completely unreasonable, especially since she didn't think about all the time and effort you put into making him.

She can't ask you to refund before she returns the bear, hopefully she'll understand that...if she doesn't, just let her know that there is no other way it can be done.

I hope you get him back safely and I hope to see you both at the Great Yorkshire Bear show bear_original

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

Everyone's taste is different, please don't feel in anyway that this bear is not perfect, because he is. Just perfect.  I do refunds on the cost of the bear only.  The bear must be returned in the original condition it was sent out.  The refund will be issued when the bear is safely returned.  I clearly state this on my website and auctions.

Joanne

Little Bear Guy Little Bear Guy
Waterloo, Ontario

I agree with Joanne, no refund on the postage as that's just normal business sense and the postage is never refunded.  He's a lovely bear and like Joanne said everyone's taste is different. Perhaps this collector should stick to just buying bears at shows and not on the internet.  The refund should not happen until you have the bear back and can ensure that it has been received in perfect condition.

big hugs

Shane

Carlyle Bear Co. Carlyle Bear Co.
Ft Myers FL

:hug: Kim, I'm so sorry that some people are just ugly.  Please hug Pastie for me too when he returns.  I'm sure he will be glad that he doesn't have to live with that lady.  bear_happy

I agree with everyone else.  No postage refund and no refund at all until you have your little bear back!

Us Bears Pennsylvania

You have the right to wait until receiving the returned Bear before issuing a refund.

You have the right to inspect the Bear to be sure he is in original, re-adoptable condition and to deduct a portion of the money if he is not in adoptable condition.

You have the OPTION to refund postage if you want to but, unless there are rules to the contrary, you don't have to.
(If there are rules on eBay, et. al, or if there are laws to the contrary.)

You also have the right to deduct a portion of the sale price as a "restocking fee."  (i.e. Your expense for cleaning and repackaging the Bear in order to make him presentable to another person who might want to adopt him.)

First things first, you and the customer should agree on terms before doing anything.  It would have been better if terms were specified before the original sale was made but, if you are careful to keep communication clear, you may set terms of the refund post-sale.

If it was me, I would refund the original purchase price and the customer's return postage, given reasonable proof, but not the original postage for sending the Bear to the customer.  To use a figure of speech, I would "go halvsies" on postage.

I would inspect the Bear when he comes home to me.  If he was in original condition, I would refund the entire purchase price.  If he is not, I would deduct an amount of money equal to the cost of restoring him to original condition.

If the packaging was somehow special or unique to the Bear (e.g. a personalized box with the Bear's name on it) I would consider charging a restocking fee equal to the cost of replacing the packaging but, if the packaging is in original condition or, if replacing the packaging is not an issue for you, I wouldn't charge.

Recheck the terms of your original sale to be sure you comply with your original agreement.  Obey that agreement as much as you can.  Everything else that wasn't originally agreed to should be taken into account and communicated up front.

Don't be afraid to specify your terms and stick to them but I believe the right thing to do is to "go the extra mile" for the customer.  Just don't let one mile turn into two miles.  ;)

Okay...  You lost a sale.  That's not good.  The thing to do is to move on to recovering the Bear and making the customer as happy as you reasonably can.  The merchant's responsibility does not always end at the close of the sale but often continues after.  There are two good reasons for this and they both relate to you making more business in the future.

1)  You want the customer to be happy with the Bear and with the service they received when they adopted him.

2)  You want the customer to be happy with the way you handed the problem AFTER the sale.

In both cases, you will do yourself a favor.  Your reputation as a fair and honest business person is as important as the quality and style of the goods you sell.  That reputation is what will attract more customers or, if it is a bad repuation, will keep them away.

kallie214 Friends "Fur" Life Bears
Gig Harbor, WA.
Website

I think your bear is adorable and his sweet face just tugs at my heart strings. Honestly, I think it is buyers remorse. I dont think it has anything to do with the bear. This is just my opinion, but that bear is too cute to "hate"...(such a harsh word).
I would not refund anything until you receive the bear back at her expense. I once had something similiar happen many years ago...she said the bears ear fell off. I had her send the bear back and I realized she had cut it off!! I was shocked to say the least! The ear has a blunt edge and no fraying...if an ear fell off, it wouldn't be a straight across clean cut. Anyways, the following week she did the same thing to another artist who is a good friend of mine.
My point is that the situation sucks, but dont take it personal. We all need to remember that people have different tastes, morals and as sad as it is to say, some people will never be happy no matter what you do. Those are the people we need to just simply walk away from and not look back.

Best of luck to you in selling your darling bear (I know it wont take long at all)

Bear Hugs,

Kim

kim "a bear by kim"
merseyside

thank you all so much. i have a terms and conditions page on my website. i i think i will go halves on the postage. i already have a new mum for pastie waiting for when he returns. she has bought bears from me before. i sold him from bear pile and had quite a few orders for him, i let his new mum know what has happened, she was overjoyed to give him a home which means pastie has a happy ending and will be going to a lovely new home.

i think it was a bit of buyers remorse but it was quite a shock hearing her being so mean about him when i never twisted her arm to give him ma home in the 1st place.
hay-hoe, you live and learn.
i

rowarrior The Littlest Thistle
Glasgow

Sorry about that.  I too think it's probably buyers remorse, and she's being nasty about it so you don't question her on the real reason.  I wouldn't refund postage, and also no refund until he's returned to you and you are happy that he's in the condition you sent him - that is standard business practice.

Us Bears Pennsylvania
kallie214 wrote:

I think your bear is adorable and his sweet face just tugs at my heart strings. Honestly, I think it is buyers remorse. I don't think it has anything to do with the bear. This is just my opinion, but that bear is too cute to "hate"...(such a harsh word).

If I might comment without people taking offense...  If the buyer is from Germany and English is not her first language, she might have used the word "hate" in the wrong context.

Some of our members whose first language is German might be able to give a better perspective on this but, anyway, it is my guess that there is a tiny bit of a language barrier.

wubbiebear Braille Teddies
Murfreesboro, Tennessee

As someone who loves bears the way I do, this really makes me sad for the artist as well as the poor bear.

Conni Germany

I also think that the language is a problem. Goes for me also in such a way.
I write so well I am able, but you read it always "right". A translator also sometimes makes very crazy words.

(I hope it becomes better. At school I learnt English and Russian)

Coraleen DallyMay Teddies
Secunda, South Africa

I just want to say I can't understand why that lady didn't like Pastie.  He's BEAUTIFUL.  Its hard to believe she can be a true teddybear lover and behave in that way.  Carry on making your beautiful bears just the way you like them.  Hugs, Coraleen  bear_wub  bear_wub  bear_wub

Karon Posts: 751

Well ... as someone who won your lovely Dae-Dae-Dumpsie ... some people have no taste. :crackup:

NO don't refund postage - you shouldn't be a loser on this.

Lots of love Kim.

Karon

Karon Posts: 751

PS Have you read Ted Menten's tale of Shrug the "imperfect" Steiff.  Hilareous!

KiddoBears KiddoBears
California

He is just beautiful,he has a soulful loveable expression.He will definately find a new home. :hug:

Board footer