Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb
Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn

Bonnie Mountain Dreamer Bears
wooly woods of Missouri, USA

to all our Aussie friends,
My calender says today, the 26th, is Australia Day so here's wishing you a wonderful holiday!
  :dance:  :dance: :hug:

Curious as always, I googled Australia Day and found that it is a celebration of the country's history and heritage.  Maybe some of you could elaborate on this and educate the rest of us about this holiday. I know I would like to know more. Do you get the day off? How do you celebrate it? Do you have any special traditions associated with it?  (I'm imagining barbecues and fireworks... I suppose because that's how we United Staters generally celebrate our Independence Day.)  I think Australia is a beautiful, fascinating country and would love to know mor about this holiday.

Enjoy your day!

:hug: Hugs,

clare14 Country Bears
England

Yay!!   I heard it's Australia Day on TV this morning, I'd love to hear more about it  :dance:    bear_wub

We don't get a Great Britain day - do we??  Have I missed something??    bear_wacko

Carolyn Green Draffin Bears
Auckland New Zealand
Website

Happy Australia Day to all our friends over there.
Have a great day off.

Hugs
Carolyn.

bear_original

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

Yes....Happy Australia Day!!!!!! :dance:

patsylakebears Patsy Lake Bears
Sydney

Thank you for the kind wishes ..... Australia Day is celebrated as to commemorate the arrival of the First Fleet in 1788, eleven ships with convicts and marines under Captain Arthur Phillip.. to establish the first colony in Sydney .... It is a public holiday and each state has its own celebrations Sydney has ferry races and things happening in the city all day and finish off with fireworks ...The Aborigines call it Invasion Day.... Bonnie you got your calandar? We went around to friends and had a BBQ it was a lovely day

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Yes, Happy Australia Day to all in the land of OZ!  Would it be like our 4th of July??

Gatehouse Bears Gatehouse Gallery
Lockwood, Victoria, Australia

Yes, Sue Ann, its sorta like 4th of July.  The problem for us was that it was so hot, around 40 degrees, with a howling north wind and bushfires were blazing across the state.  I was worried and watchfull all day (we were only minutes from being evacuated last sunday night and it made me nervous)  There is still a fire a couple of hours from here with a fire front of about 300 kilometres. 

I spent the day keeping the dogs cool and watching the cricket and tennis on TV (it was too hot to exercise me so I watched others instead bear_grin  bear_grin  bear_grin )

kimkc Australia

Thanks! bear_original
I had a relaxing day, studying for a bit, reading, I baked ANZAC biscuits, and we had lamb steak and salad for dinner. Yummy.
I have feelings about the fireworks yesterday, but i thought i'd keep them to myself, save getting into a fight with someone on the net!! bear_whistle

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Oh gosh, Glenys . . . am sorry about your brush fires!  We've been having them all around here, too.  Hope you stay safe and that you'll get some rain soon.

Jellybelly Bears Jellybelly Bears
Australia

Thanks bear_original I spent the day at home under the airconditioning lol  Hot again as usual these past 2 weeks!  yuck!!  bear_angry   
Glenys, we saw the smoke from your bushfires!  it covered Adelaide and aparently the 000 lines were busy with paniced people thinking the fires were here!  Glad you are safe  bear_flower
Hugs Sarah

I Love Teddies South Florida
Website

Glenys, sorry about the fires.  I hope you and your family stay safe.  :hug:

Happy Australia Day!   I hope everyone had a great day!

Bonnie Mountain Dreamer Bears
wooly woods of Missouri, USA

Oh Glenys, sorry to hear about the fires. bear_sad  Hope everyone stays safe and the fires are out soon!

rufnut Rufnut Teddy's
Victoria Australia

Thanks for the Australia Day wishes, unfortunately too hot to do to much celebrating, 40 Cel.  Spent the day inside in the cool house watching the Australian Open Tennis finals. And praying for the poor people who are fighting bush fires at the moment.

jazzyrags Jazzy Rags
nsw

Thank you for your kind wishers on this special day

Marie_ Kiprie Bears
Yokohama, Japan

Oops...sorry i was little late....
Hope you all the Australia friends had a wonderful Happy Australia Day.  bear_grin

Judi Luxembears
Luxemburg, Wisconsin

I heard this on cable on Animal Planet:
When European explorers arrived on the shore of Australia they asked the natives what these animals were called with the long feet and tails thak hopped.  Since the natives did not understand the language they responed, "Kangaroo"  which translates into 'I don't know what you are asking'.   Hence the name 'kangaroo'. bear_thumb

Happy Australia Day!  I posted this in another thread about knagaroos.  If it is, infact, true. I think it is a pretty nifty story. :dance:

DebbieD Posts: 3,540

:doh: Judi...isn't that typical!  bear_grin   I've never heard that about Kangaroos! 

I do hope the temps and brush fires will calm down for our Oz friends, though  bear_sad  Its so worrying to have fires atop high temperatures. 

I'm a bit late, but Happy Australia Day!!!  :hug:

staticbear76 Posts: 222

i just hope all the fires go away and the floods to stop oz is so beautiful it is a wonderful place.

Board footer