Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting
Intercal Trading Group - Your mohair supplier

busserbears Busser Bears
Elkhart, Indiana

On Saturday, Michael & I left the house at 11:30-had to get taxes done and running around…
got home at 6:30…
I opened the front door, and Michael said what came out of my mouth was like the father in the movie The Christmas Story….
Charlie had gotten out of his crate!!  He's a German shepherd/great dane/mastiff mix about 15 months old...
The front room was a mess!!
He’d went into Michael’s tool room, got out all the paper towels-about 6-8 and brought them out to the front room..
he’d gotten his basketball out of the room too and brought that out….
bird seed/thistle & the white stuff-all over the floor…
he knocked the phone off the hook from the tool room….from my studio he took out the blue bag I bring to work…
tore it up along with the umbrella-he didn’t destroy my canvas lunch box….
the grocery bags we save from under the sink in the kitchen were EVERYWHERE
…and from there he also got a new big box of tall kitchen bags all over the front room….the refill bottle of soft soap (not too much of it in there thankfully) had the lid off and chewed up…..
the green plastic watering can chewed up…..
my new shoes, the taupe ones-he’d chewed up and HIDDEN under the coach!!
Now what he didn’t destroy…didn’t get into the trash…didn’t get into the 2 dog food containers…didn’t break michael’s father’s flat screen tv that was in the tool room on the floor…no furniture…drapes ok….and no #1’s or #2’s!
He had a high ol’ time!
Michael said that yesterday morning, he had 3 dumps of just thistle seed. 
It was fun fun fun!

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

That does sound like fun - for Charlie, that is! bear_grin

Becky

Michelle Helen Chaska, Minnesota

Well your little fella just wanted to play. From a dogs perspective, he had loads of fun!  Bless his little heart.  bear_original

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

Aw...I think our 10month old would have loved to join in!!

busserbears Busser Bears
Elkhart, Indiana

Yepper, Mr Charlie had a bunch of fun alright...but if you look at the big picture, he didn't destroy stuff that was really important...didn't get into the garbage, or 2 bins of dog food...stuff that would have really ticked us off.  He's a pretty smart guy!  :dance:
lol

Us Bears Pennsylvania

I think Charlie misses his humans.

Young dogs often do that when they are left alone out of a sense of separation anxiety.  They usually grow out of it but you can help speed up the process.

Take him out for a walk or let him run around in the yard for a while before you leave.  (Burn off a little of that energy.)
Play with him and have some fun time, too.  Make sure there is an appropriate amount of time between the walk/play and the time you leave the house.  You want him to know that you are there to take care of him and play with him but you don't want him to think, "Every time I get walked and played with my humans go away."  When you get home, let him out to go pee and play with him some more.

The ideas that you are trying to teach him are, "My humans don't go away forever," and "My humans always take care of me and pay attention to me when they get home again."

Our dog, Tyrone, the schnauzer we had when I was a kid used to get anxious when we left the house.  When we got home, he would bark and cry and fuss for a half hour when he got home.  But we always let him out to pee when we got home.  (Dogs ALWAYS have to go pee.  Especially males.)  Us kids would always play with him when we got home.

After a while he mostly got over it.  He would still bark and fuss when we came in the door but it would only last a minute or two.
Barking and fussing is often part of a schnazuer's personality.  They like to fuss about their humans.  Instead of fussing for a half hour, it would only be for a minute or two.  Then we play with him and give him lots of attention and he's all right.

Think of a dog that's one year old like a ten year old kid.  He's old enough to be alone in the house for a short time, like when Mom goes to the store then comes right back, but he needs to know that Mom won't be gone for too long or else he starts to get antsy.

Just give him lots of attention and teach him that his humans aren't abandoning him and, hopefully, he'll grow out of it in another year.

By that time, you'll have a rebellious teenager on your hands!  bear_happy  bear_happy  bear_happy

KJ Lyons KJ Lyons Design
Seattle, WA
Website

Love you :hug:   But I have to admit, seven hours in a crate seems like a loooong time! Imagine being a little kid locked in a crate for seven hours bear_ermm

SueAnn Past Time Bears
Double Oak, Texas

SueAnn Help Advisor, Banner Sponsor

Hey, Leeann . . . good to see you posting.  Well, Charlie did find a way to entertain himself, didn't he.  Does he stay crated up while y'all are at work?  Are you making bears at all these days?  If not, maybe someday you'll be able to return, though the industry today is much different from just a few years back even.  Hugs.

DENBY30 DENBY BEARS
EDISON, NEW JERSEY

bear_wub  :crackup: Sorry but I am laughing reading that note about Charlie.  I think you better padlock that crate.  My poor dog stayed in her crate for 10 hours while I am at work, I know its hard, but it can be done.  Yours just got out and had to amuse himself.  I bet he sure went to the bathroom plenty after that. He must be awfully big.  Just so he did not get into anything dangerous that could have harmed him.  I bet you were laughing and hollaring at the same time.  I know, I do it all the time with my two beauties.  They are hyper and get into some things also, not in a crate anymore, just a bedroom with a gate.  But they do manage to chew up the mattress that is on the bed.Baddd doggies. LOL
Thanx for sharing that, kinda made my day!
Hugs Pat bear_flower

Board footer