Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

wubbiebear Braille Teddies
Murfreesboro, Tennessee

I bit the bullet and finally ordered off ebay.  I got this antique teddy bear.  Does anybody recognize this dude?  Apparently he's pretty old, as he's stuffed with straw.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/270964629930?ss … 1497.l2648

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

Ah, you've joined the ebayers! I think you're going to like this bear. He looks like a lot of 1950s era unjointed bears. The way they're sewn gives them a cute butt. That's all I know. But I don't think the head and paws are mohair. They look like plush. And his cute face with the little tongue is adorable, and the fabric for the body and ear linings looks really retro. He's definitely your bear, Jessie!

Becky

Murfreesboro, Tennessee

Arrgh, my post got eaten I think. 

I'm glad I got a 50s unjointed bear.  I always feel bad for them because some people say they're low quality.  I'm going to have to give him lots of love.

Oh, and you can thank Teddy Ruxpin for making me conquer my fear of Ebay.  Since I bought him I bought a Furby that I'm waiting for and this retrobear.  Thanks, Teddy *goes off to search for Grubby*.

Murfreesboro, Tennessee

I got my bear today.  He's definitely not mohair.  His head is fake fur and his body is cloth, like his clothes are attached.  He's a sweet bear.  I thought I was getting an antique bear like everybody raves about.  He's not, but that's okay.  He's a teddy bear and I love him.

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

How about the stuffing, Jessie? Is he cuddly or crunchy, or both?

Becky

Murfreesboro, Tennessee

He's crunchy like he's stuffed with straw, but he's not stuffed very firmly.  Does that make any sense?  Oh, and his name is Chad.  I don't know where that came from.

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

Well a true antique is 100 years old, those bears are hard to come by and usually very well loved.  Too well loved often to be loved any more.  I love this bear,  he has a lot more hugs in him.   Even though the auctions say antique what most really are are vintage.

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

I do know what you mean, Jessie. I think it takes a real stuffing expert and good-quality excelsior to make a hard-stuffed bear. When I've tried to do it, the bear can be kind of "loose" inside, but I've also used a combination of excelsior and polyfill for a "fuller" and firmer feel. Anyway, your bear sounds pretty great for hugging!

Becky

Murfreesboro, Tennessee

I probably wouldn't want a hard-stuffed bear unless he was hard because he has a tape player in him, lol.

Board footer