Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Johnna's Mohair Store - Specializing in hand dyed mohair and alpaca
Past Time Bears - Artist bears designed and handcrafted by Sue Ann Holcomb

Dawn J Hugs Unlimited
West Yorkshire
Website

Hi

It is now just over a week until we go on the WSPA Bear Trek in Romania. A gruelling 50 mile walk over the mountains of Romania to raise funds for rescued European Brown Bears. Fund raising has not gone as well as we had hoped. Personally, it has been the worst year that Chris and I have had since we met nearly twenty years ago. Basically, Chris's job was made redundant last November and he has been unable to find work since, so we are living on my bear sales which are not as good as they were. Added to that, our house has been flooded twice, and we are still cleaning up. We got off lightly compared to many local people, some of whom lost everything. It hs meant that we had to cancel local fund-raisers as there were so many other fund-raisers going on for people  who lost their homes and businesses. We asked WSPA if we could put the trek off until next year, but unfortunately because there are only 12 people doing it this year it would have meant that the whole trek would be cancelled. We felt that we did not want to be the ones responsible for that, so we are going ahead with it. WSPA have, however, extended the fund-raising deadline until the end of the year.

We still have lots of lovely bears that have been donated by Artists, shops and Manufacturers. Some of them are now on Ebay and can be found here http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/roddyrhino/m. … 4340.l2562

Also, there is a dedicated website with bears on that can be found here.
www.teddybearsforwspa.co.uk

If you would like to make a donation direct to our fund-raising target you can do so here: www.justgiving.com/dawnandchris2012

There are lots of associated costs for us in the trip, i.e. getting to the airport and back, a massive fuel surcharge on the flight, some meals while we are away etc., so to help with this,  for my own Hugs Unlimited bears, I am having a Summer Sale and they can be found here: http://www.bearpile.com/artist/1386

Sorry to sound gloomy, it's not my usual style at all, but with the trek just over a week away I am entering panic mode!  :lol:

This is Chester one of the Hugs Unlimited bears in the Summer Sale.

1346415290_dscf2124sml.jpg

Barling Bears Barling Bears
Nr. Maidstone, Kent
Website

Wish I could use a magic wand and make everything come together for you Dawn.  You have tried so very hard to raise the necessary money for such a wonderful and very worthwhile project so I sincerely hope that money comes whooshing in for you, especially with such lovely bears still for sale.

Wishing you and Chris a wonderful trek and hope the weather is kind to you!  All that hill walking will finally pay off!!!

And just think of those beautiful bears waiting to greet you at the end .......... priceless!

Hugs,

Marilyn xx

peterbear Boechout, Antwerp
Barling Bears wrote:

Wish I could use a magic wand

If Marilyn finds her magic wand, I'll ask her to pass it on to me and then I can conjure up some more money for you Dawn.  :teddybear:

I am sorry to hear that it has been such an awful year for you and Chris.  I can only hope that things will start to improve from now on.
As far as the fundraising for the trek is concerned, I understand it must get harder and harder to raise enough funds. 
Money just seems to be getting tighter and tighter for many people.
If it were not for two upcoming teddy bear fairs I "have" ( bear_laugh ) to attend, I would certainly find a way to adopt one of those lovely bears.

I wish you and Chris all the best and we're keeping our fingers and paws crossed that it will turn out well.  :thumbsup:

Big Hugs,  :rose:

Peter

P.S. The lovely "rainbear" arrived yesterday: he is wonderful and I am delighted to have him.

rowarrior The Littlest Thistle
Glasgow

Sorry to hear of all the troubles you've had, good luck with the remaining fund raising!

Board footer