Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Shelli Makes - Teddy bears & other cheerful things by Shelli Quinn
No Monkey Biz - Domain name registration, hosting

Little Nan Posts: 233

I'm wondering if people make as many mistakes as I seem to have , and still are making since starting to make bears a few months ago !!??
I no sooner learn from one mistake only to go headlong into another half dozen , ranging from too loose joints even though I've gone blue in the face tightening them and am absolutely certain they will never loosen ! How wrong can you be ! To sewing noses on crooked , same with eyes. Don't even get me started on ears !! Splitting seams when stuffing even after doing two rows of stitching !
Pile not lying evenly between gusset and side head pieces .
Somehow losing the chin ?!?! What !
No matter how much I measure not getting the needlesculting in the eye sockets even and level !
Oh dear the list could go on !
I've reached a low point I think , even though people ( not just family ) keep telling me how lovely they are ! I can see the faults and can't accept any old thing.
Oh dear I am such a wringer !
Are my expectations greater than my abilities I wonder? Thing is I see ladies showing their creations on here , and I wouldn't dare put mine on , we'll maybe a couple , but then I can't even figure out how to do that !
I was told at the beginning that at around your twelfth bear you just about know what you're doing. Well I'm just finishing my eighth and I am actually pleased with the head but its not on the body yet and lord knows what I'll find to get wrong! Thing is I adore making these creatures and I can't give up, but when am I going to LEARN !
I need inspiration ! Help !
I do apologise ladies , no doubt everyone has their frustrating moments I just think mine reached overflow !!
Nan bear_cry  bear_angry

By the way I meant whinger not wringer !

desertmountainbear desertmountainbear
Bloomsburg, PA

Nan,  I have been making bears for a very long time and I still make mistakes.  The only difference here between you and me is that I have learned to fix them.  I have made every mistake here you have mentioned, and still do sometimes.  Some of the above are not mistakes, they are just things you work around as you go. 
Pile not laying even between gusset and side pieces, (not a mistake)  I open the seams so they lay nicer, seems to help, also tape or a blow dryer will help here.
I am unsure what you mean about losing the chin, maybe a picture would help there.  If you are talking about in the actual muzzle then you may need to stuff harder, or take a large needle insert it into the chin and move the stuffing forward.  If it is under the chin you are speaking of, then that is a matter of trimming it in to make it more defined.
I purposely do not do much sculpting of the eye sockets till after the eyes are in just for this reason.  Use a mirror it will help you.  Again if one seems further in the than the other a large thick needle moving stuffing around from the inside will work wonders. 

What I see when I read this is someone who has very high expectations for them self. In any kind of art or craft this is a good thing.  You will keep pushing yourself.  It will keep you moving forward, and in the end make you a very good bear maker.

There is a point still with me that I hate every bear that I make.  I always feel that it will be horrible and that I have failed.  I think that these feeling are not uncommon.  But I continue to work at it like a dog with a bone.  I never give up until I have worked it all out.  For me there has only ever been one bear I have had to trash.  Some of the bears I have hated the most have turned out to be some of the best.

ps, it sounds to me that you know exactly what you are doing, because you can pick out exactly what is wrong.

LittleButtonMeadow Button Meadow Bears
Devon
Website

You're no whinger! bear_original We ALL make mistakes, and some mistakes are the best kind, as we discover a better way. I tell the kids I teach perfect is boring! lol

Joanne you make perfect sense.
I,ll certainly try the needle with the stuffing advice!
The thing with the chin is I think actually a pattern fault , my own pattern of course ! I'm trying to make a shorter nose bear and in doing am somehow getting a receding chin think I've fathomed out why now though !
The thing is I have a vision in my head of what I want to create but of course this craft takes a long time to learn ... And I'm not blessed with patience ... With myself not the bears, I'll carry on til I can't keep my eyes open !
My head is just full of bears , everything to do with them , I think , sleep, eat bears !! And yes I do have very high expectations of myself.. Not always a good thing , but I just can't give up ! It really is soooo addictive !
I actually think I have on occasions been over stuffing , the head in particular in order to get the right 'shape'. Another lesson learned.
I am just about to attempt putting the ' nice ' bears head I have managed to make onto the body, but of late my joints have been just too loose , I'll  maybe trim the fur back a little . Last time I was so intent on getting the joint tight I pinched my finger so much I had a bruise for weeks  , not nice , think ill get hub to do the tightening this time ! Oh and yes good tip with the seams on the gusset , common sense really. It really is a matter of problem solving isn't it and learning all the little tricks you can apply, though maybe tricks isn't quite the right word !
When I first started I would never have dreamt there would be so many hazards to overcome and problems to negotiate but knowing that you still make mistakes does give me heart, and thank you so much for the kind words, they are so appreciated . Now where's that bears head ...
Hugs
Nan x bear_wub

Thank you Helen ! I agree , mistakes are most times the way forward, and boy I should be leaping miles away by now ! Ha ha.
Think I just needed a moan really !
Nan x

Miser Miser Bears

Im feeling just like you at the moment! I just spent all day trying to put a bears face together, and now im completely depressed! All the bears people show all seem so perfect, even the "distressed" looking antique bears look smooth as silk. I need some chocolate...I cant face trying to put the ears on at the moment, I think I would end up going insane  bear_wacko

Heather , I don't think you will be feeling anything I haven't felt whilst trying to learn this skill!
Thing is it won't let you go, so I guess you may as well have that chocolate, everything will look much better afterwards !!
Don't give up !!!
Nan x

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

Someone once said to me ' you never learn anything from doing it right first time' it's true of everything....it's a learning curve and you find the best way because of the mistakes you make. Learning what you shouldn't do is equally important as learning what you should.

I just re-read what Joanne wrote about her feelings for her bears..I actually feel exactly the same. I always think that its all a big mistake and that I am not that good....I was the same throughout my 37 year hairdressing career..and as a photographer which is something I have done for many years. The thing is that I think it's that questioning that makes me try harder..and be more observant ..checking and picking over things till its right. So it's a good thing....nothing wrong with confidence but having the gift of self criticism is what makes people strive for better.

Hi Jenny thanks for the sensible overview !
Yes I think self criticism is an essential for bettering whatever you choose to do ... though I seem to have that in abundance at the moment, but I'm afraid that for my sins is my personality .
So much is down to pure frustration, which over time hopefully will find a sensible level.
Again I am in the same category as yourself and Joanne... everything I do seems rubbish and everyone else is much better !
As for you thinking you're not that good... Well I think a fair few people might disagree with that one ! I think
ultimately enjoyment in what you do is the key, regardless of how good or not we all are.
Bear hugs to all

Nan x

Coraleen DallyMay Teddies
Secunda, South Africa

bear_wub Thank you so much for starting this thread, Nan.  I've been feeling so inadequate with my bear-making as if I couldn't get anything right and now I know it happens to other bear people too.  I'm inspired by all of you that have written on this thread.......so ON WE GO with the next bear!!!  bear_grin

suejennings TeddyBuys
Kent
Website

Hi Nan

I thought I'd add my 10 cents worth.  If I am really struggling with a bear, I leave it alone for 24 hours.  This helps enormously, as I often then go back, see the bear with fresh eyes and fix the problem without much fuss.  I have found that if I keep 'fiddling' with a bear and get stressed, things can go from bad to worse.  The important thing is to stay relaxed and enjoy your bear making.  Anyway, it works for me.

tcfolk TC Folk Originals
Tempe, AZ

All the ladies here have given excellent advise, and I must agree about never being satisfied!  We who make them know where all the "mistakes" lie, we know what the "vision" was when we started, but those who see these little wonders do not know these things in advance.  They see a wonderful little creation that tugs at their heart.  If you are having trouble with the joints being tight enough, you might want to try another method.  You don't say what you are using, but if you're doing cotter pins, you might want to try bolts or set screws and lock nuts, or the reverse.  I use the mirror as Joanne said when making sure eyes, ears, nose and all, are straight.  I have also found that the camera has a very critical eye, so I take frequent pictures and check them to make sure every thing is in its correct position as I am constructing the bear.  And not just the face.  It sometimes helps me when I am putting on arms and legs to make sure they are even.  The large needle to move the stuffing around is invaluable for me.  Just keep at it, as we all do, and tell yourself that all you have learned from the previous bears will make you next bear "perfect" (actually, there is no such thing, thank goodness!).  I'd love to see some pics!!!

Dallymay teddies Sue and Thelma thank you all for your input because every little bit of advice all goes to make a clearer picture !
Thelma I am using cotter pins , and lo and behold when I trimmed the fur back , bingo, a firm joint, result ...happiness and contentment !
What a sad life I do lead ha ha !
Also yes a camera certainly does give you an honest recall of the bear in fact I took a pic of the latest bear and it really did give me a different slant on things, so I will def be doing that again !
Being a total devil for punishment I am now embarking on attempting to paint some glass eyes .... Oh dear !!!
Thelma I would actually like to put some pics up on here but alas computers are a complete mystery to me , I sort of tried to attempt it but it totally outfoxed me ! The problem being its a totally different language , but I won't give up and maybe my husband will be able to shed some light on things . Watch this space ....

BatFinchBears BatFinch Bears

Everyone seems to have given you wonderful wonderful advice!

I also think if you get stuck with a part (as I do frequently) is put it down, and do something else, or go to bed and try again with a fresh brain and eyes. Even then I still get "stuck" with bears for ages because I have high expectations and want them to all come out exactly as planned - but I guess the bears have their own thoughts on what they'll look like bear_happy

Ooooh I've never tried painting eyes... I think I will avoid that until I've got a handle on some of the other techniques I'm trying :)

Yes, I agree on the Pics thing! I'd love to see some of your bears !

Boogaloo Bears Boogaloo Bears
united kingdom

Nan

Please show us some photos of your bears, I bet we will all love them  :love:

I agree with Jenny that we are all overly critical of our own work, when you are such a perfectionist then the slightest little error will stand out like a sore thumb. Please take heart though, from all the bears I make, it is always the ones that I am least happy with that sell first at any bear show - maybe the little imperfections that I see are the best bits to a buyer!

I always work on more than one bear, like Sue, if I am struggling with one, I leave it for a day and then go back to it.

Don't give up, bears give everyone so much pleasure  :lol:

hugs

Lisa x

Lisa , Emily , thank you both ! Yes I wholeheartedly agree I have truly had the most wonderful advice and encouragement on here and have been revitalised and encouraged by everyone and am sincerely grateful to everyone I really am  bear_wub
I also promise that I will put pics up as soon as my daughter comes over to see us because as I've said before I am a total dummy when it comes to negotiating around sites , I find it embarrassing I am so useless !!
However I am attempting to have another go because I don't like being beaten and I have to learn ... But please I know I have posted numerous questions making it appear I know stuff but believe me the bears I have made ... well shall we say you'll have a chuckle !
Nan x love to all  bear_wub

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

Lisa makes a good point. Who says a mistake is a mistake anyway. One persons mistake is someone else's perfection. Anyway,out of mistakes come great ideas. Didn't potato chips come from cutting potatoes too thin?
No right or wrong way for anything

Ha ha my husband would say that was the greatest mistake ever made then Jenny !!
No I won't give up because amidst all the trauma of mistakes and trying to overcome them , I get the greatest pleasure . Besides I wouldn't have come into contact with such great people that visit this site would I  ! Just a pity some of you are so far away so won't get the chance to meet you at the odd bear fair ... But who knows !
Nan x

clwilmot HandmadebyCarrie
Tallmadge, Ohio
Website

Just keep making and learning,  you will look back and be thankful for all the mistakes that helped turn you into a wonderful teddy bear artist
Carrie

Carrie  you know , I think I'm staring to see the light ... just !
I'm not saying there won't be any more mistakes, but I'm glad that I am learning how to get over some of them.
Thank you for the kind words.
So many people have given words of encouragement , wisdom and kindness .
It's overwhelming.
One day , hopefully I will be able to return it .
Nan x bear_wub

nisbears Nisbears

Hi,
i find that by just relaxing and going "oh well" seems to work for me.  i must admit that i hate cotterpins with a passion and thread joint when ever possible or use the good old nuts and bolts.
Sometimes the things that look like rubbish can actually be the start of a new adventure. i pack my oops' away until i am having a day when i really need a challenge and then have another go at them then.

Smile & wave when life gives you challenges!
Margaret.

Hi margaret,
Yes I agree , sometimes the harder you try the worse things get and  a ' devil may care' attitude is the way forward. It has worked in life like that many times for me, I just wish I could adopt that philosophy more often... From today I shall practise !! As for cotter pins verses the alternatives , Ill give the cotter pins a little longer then I'm afraid nuts and bolts it will have to be !!
Hugs
Nan

Doreenfrost Vermont Harvest Folk Art
Vermont
Website

It can be so frustrating sometimes.... but just work through it as best you can and try not to be so hard on yourself.  We all make these mistakes..some things come with time and often, even when you know how to do something, it can go haywire anyway

I find when I am working and becoming frustrated..I have to just set the little one down somewhere where I can still see him or her....and walk past them ..over and over as I am doing other things.  Somehow, as I pass by them and glance at them...the solution often comes to me or...a new direction is found.  We all need help now and again..just take a deep breath and keep on going :)

Best of luck and don't give up :)Doreen

Oh Doreen , you know that's exactly what I've been doing these past couple of days, and yes it definitely works !
I think it's the same. When you move into a new house and you're not sure how you want to decorate it , so you live with it a while ... then one day you get it !
I certainly won't give up either ! :)
Nan

Board footer