Skip to main content

Banner Sponsors

Tedsby - Handmade teddy bears and other cute stuffed animals. Hundreds of teddy artists from all over the world and thousands of OOAK creations.
Teddy Bear Academy - Online teddy bear making classes

Pages:
Little Nan Posts: 233

image.jpg

As promised the photo of the new baby ! My daughter came over and uploaded the pic for me I just need to learn how to do it myself now !
This is the first bear that I would dare show on here! He is far from perfect but hopefully things will improve given time. He is actually the eighth bear I've made .
If I can fathom how to upload I may brave it and put pics of some earlier bears i made on , they really are a hoot but I suppose each has its own charm!! I've actually done it the wrong way round haven't I, should have put the rubbish ones on first !
Any criticism gratefully received , I promise I won't take offence in fact I would welcome any tips!

Nan x

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website

Nan, this is from the Technical Help section: http://www.teddy-talk.com/viewtopic.php?id=82

This little bear is lovely, and the mohair looks so soft! (Is it kid mohair?)

Becky

BlackmoonBear Sacred Bear Studios
Saint Petersburg, Florida

he's a darling little bear, nan....just so you know, best place to post your new bears is in the showcase section bear_original

LittleButtonMeadow Button Meadow Bears
Devon
Website

What a really sweetie! Gorgeous mohair bear_original

karenaus Melbourne
Website

Oh Nan, he's adorable! I wouldn't even guess he was only your 8th if you hadn't said so! Well done and keep up the good work!

Thank you so much everyone for the lovely comments !! Think you've all been very kind !  I'll attempt today to put some more pics on !
Oh by the way hubby named him Oscar , not sure he looks like an Oscar but there you go !
Hugs Nan  bear_flower

Conni Germany

bear_wub  bear_wub He is so lovely!!!

peterbear Boechout, Antwerp

He is wonderful: lovely expression, beautiful mohair, the nose stitches look great.  bear_wub

Francesca KALEideaSCOPE
Rheinfelden
Website

I agree with everybody else here. Your bear is a sweetie, you need not feel self conscious of your work! bear_wub
I love his endearing expression, very sweet. I also love how you did his paw pads. He really looks very cuddly!
I hope you will be able to post more of your bears' pictures! bear_thumb

Thank you Connie, Peter and Francy ! I have desperately tried to put some more pics on , but for some reason , photobucket is sooo hard to figure ! Mind you I am less than useless at that sort of thing. Also iPads are not the best things for this!
Your comments are very much appreciated !  bear_flower  bear_wub
Nan

Oh Becky , have only just noticed your comment on the mohair and yes it is kid mohair, it's lovely isn't it , I was so nervous I'd ruin it !
Nan  bear_wub

dangerbears Dangerbears
Wisconsin
Website
Nan wrote:

yes it is kid mohair, it's lovely isn't it

Indeed - I love those beautiful soft curls. bear_original

Becky

Miser Miser Bears

Oh hes adorable, huge well done  bear_wub

Thank you Heather !
Nan x

student bearmaker Northern Ireland

Very endearing expression,sweet little bear.You should be very proud of him,he looks great bear_thumb .

Thank you Renee !
I've just drawn a new pattern so want to give it a try, I'm attempting to find my ' look ' so difficult , dare say you know when you've found it ?!?! Maybe a eureka moment !
bear_wub

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

He's really pretty. The hardest thing is finding your own unique look...and that's what most people strive to achieve...I think it happens naturally as you get better at doing things then design becomes second nature and you know how the mechanics of drawing a pattern works...how to achieve what is in your head. Have to say even after 10 years I still have to think very hard about how to change things.

Jenny I agree... Seriously I have gone through about five A4 sketch pads , attempting to make patterns out of which I think probably there might be 2 heads worth anything and the same bodies ! That's the secret though I think , as you said understanding the mechanics of the bear is key.
However much I try to alter the pattern they seem to come out much the same ! Never mind all good experience !!
Nan  bear_wub

I think I have finally lost the plot !
I have run out of discs for the joints and I have a really ' odd ' looking bear and that's being kind ... so I went to take it apart for the discs... I sat it on my lap and it looked at me with its funny little face.. bear_cry and you've guessed the rest , I couldn't take it apart ! and it continues to look at me with its strange little face ! bear_wub
Am I odd or has anyone else had this happen ?
Nan   bear_rolleyes

customteddys Custom Teddys
Juneau, Alaska

It is impossible to take apart a bear who is looking up at you. Trust me.

P.S. You do very nice work. The bear you posted above is quite lovable bear_wub

Oh I'm glad I'm not the only softie Vicki ! , and thank you for your lovely comment . bear_wub
Nan x

binglebears bingle bears
Upstate, NY

Oscar is a sweetheart!  And, yes, I've had many bears with strange little faces that I couldn't bear to take apart!   bear_wub

Well Cheryl I did feel a bit stupid at first but for the quite short time Ive been making bears I've found that they arent just pieces of material with a bit of stuffing in .... when you finally finish one they take on a personality and soul all of their own.
However I'm notoriously soft with these kind of things ! bear_wub

Oh and Cheryl thanks for the kind comment it means a lot from all of you  bear_wub

jenny Three O'clock Bears
warwickshire uk
Website

The important thing is that you aim at trying to find a unique look that defines your ideas. It happens when you look outside the world of bear making for inspiration ..I found many of my ideas come from nostalgia and from children's literature, the illustrations and characters.
That's the fun part ...making a bear that has a signature look.

Pages:

Board footer